The Student Room Group

Sore throat relief ideas?

So I've had an annoying cold for a couple of days but recently I've developed the most painful throat I could ever imagine! Every time I swallow I have to prepare myself because it literally feels like I'm swallowing sharp blades.
I am wondering if anybody has any suggestions for how to relieve this just so I can get more than 3 hours sleep tonight?! Also, is a doctors visit worth it or will I just be told it's a cold so get plenty of rest etc?
It has been agony all day. I'd appreciate any replies. Thank you in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If it's been agony then phone 111 in the morning
Reply 2
Tyrozets or Diflam Throat Spray

Both are in pharmacies, it's pharmacy only so you need to ask for it. Plus you need to be over 12 years old to take them

I work in a pharmacy part time as a dispenser. (main job is finance phd student)
Reply 3
If the sore throat develops, you will develop a temperature and sneezing etc

Then I recommend Lemsip Max Sachets, get the ones from the pharmacy, they are stronger.....

1000 mg paracetamol (painkiller and fever reducer)
60 mg pseudoephedrine (nasal decongestant)

or you can have a look outside for something with paracetamol and pseudoephedrine
Reply 4
Original post by fat_pam
If the sore throat develops, you will develop a temperature and sneezing etc

Then I recommend Lemsip Max Sachets, get the ones from the pharmacy, they are stronger.....

1000 mg paracetamol (painkiller and fever reducer)
60 mg pseudoephedrine (nasal decongestant)

or you can have a look outside for something with paracetamol and pseudoephedrine

Hey thanks for your reply. I have been taking paracetamol, lemsip etc and I feel no relief whatsoever! I have paracetamol and codeine tablets do you think this could help??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by rsd_x
Hey thanks for your reply. I have been taking paracetamol, lemsip etc and I feel no relief whatsoever! I have paracetamol and codeine tablets do you think this could help??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Avoid the codeine, it is addictive. Codeine is in the same family as Morphine and Heroin, so it's best to avoid Co-Codamol if you can.

Codeine will make you drowsy though, so if you want to go to sleep it will help. It's ok as a one off, but taking Co-Codamol daily can get your addicted potentially.

The paracetamol should work as a painkiller, it just sounds like the start of flu.
Reply 6
Original post by rsd_x
So I've had an annoying cold for a couple of days but recently I've developed the most painful throat I could ever imagine! Every time I swallow I have to prepare myself because it literally feels like I'm swallowing sharp blades.
I am wondering if anybody has any suggestions for how to relieve this just so I can get more than 3 hours sleep tonight?! Also, is a doctors visit worth it or will I just be told it's a cold so get plenty of rest etc?
It has been agony all day. I'd appreciate any replies. Thank you in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Call 111, visit a walk-in or phone your surgery in the morning so you can check it isn't anything like tonsillitis that you will need treated. You can also shine a torch in your throat so you can check yourself for any white marks or anything that would indicate an infection.

As for the irritation, soothers/ halls sweets, warm (not hot) herbal tea- honey and lemon is good too, steaming, spray or syrup like diflam (from a pharmacy). I had diflam after a tonsillectomy and it works great so is worth trying if your throat is really bad. Also keep your throat moist (drink loads of water/ squash) and try to do what you can to minimise any coughing you may have.

Hope that helps. Good luck kicking this :smile:
Reply 7
I drink lemon and ginger tea with honey whenever I have a sore throat. Its quite effective, in my opinion that is.
I found keeping a sugar-free polo in my mouth really helps when I struggled to sleep with a sore throat. It's just my experience though.
Reply 9
Original post by Kindred
Call 111, visit a walk-in or phone your surgery in the morning so you can check it isn't anything like tonsillitis that you will need treated. You can also shine a torch in your throat so you can check yourself for any white marks or anything that would indicate an infection.

As for the irritation, soothers/ halls sweets, warm (not hot) herbal tea- honey and lemon is good too, steaming, spray or syrup like diflam (from a pharmacy). I had diflam after a tonsillectomy and it works great so is worth trying if your throat is really bad. Also keep your throat moist (drink loads of water/ squash) and try to do what you can to minimise any coughing you may have.

Hope that helps. Good luck kicking this :smile:

Thanks so much. If you're eating, stop reading now as there may be TMI! I have shined a torch in my throat and my tonsils look large, red, inflamed with what seems to be blood on them. No white marks however. I think this diflam spray sounds really good, I will definitely go to the pharmacy tomorrow to get some! Thanks again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by fat_pam
Avoid the codeine, it is addictive. Codeine is in the same family as Morphine and Heroin, so it's best to avoid Co-Codamol if you can.

Codeine will make you drowsy though, so if you want to go to sleep it will help. It's ok as a one off, but taking Co-Codamol daily can get your addicted potentially.

The paracetamol should work as a painkiller, it just sounds like the start of flu.

Ah I see - the tablets I have are actually paracetamol and codeine mixed together not co-codamol. I'm hoping this is coming to an end not just starting :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Put hot water with honey and root ginger chopped up and drink it maybe add whiskey aswell
Reply 12
Original post by rsd_x
Ah I see - the tablets I have are actually paracetamol and codeine mixed together not co-codamol. I'm hoping this is coming to an end not just starting :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you tell me the strength of the paracetamol and codeine? It's most likely Co-Codamol (8/500), if not, it could be Co-Dydramol (10/500)
Reply 13
No it's starting, you know it's coming to an end when all you are doing is coughing.
Reply 14
Original post by fat_pam
Can you tell me the strength of the paracetamol and codeine? It's most likely Co-Codamol (8/500), if not, it could be Co-Dydramol (10/500)

This is what I found on the boots website under description of the tablets: Codeine Phosphate Hemihydrate 8 mg, Paracetamol 500mg so yes does sound like co-codamol. Really hoping it'll make me drowsy and keep me asleep for the night!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by rsd_x
This is what I found on the boots website under description of the tablets: Codeine Phosphate Hemihydrate 8 mg, Paracetamol 500mg so yes does sound like co-codamol. Really hoping it'll make me drowsy and keep me asleep for the night!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it is Co-Codamol,

Take one or two four times a day when required

I even know the damn dosages, I need to quit pharmacy lol.
Reply 16
You can take an antihistamine to become drowsy as well.

Cetirizine will do the trick, even better if you can take travel sickness tablets, they are also drowsy.
Reply 17
Original post by fat_pam
You can take an antihistamine to become drowsy as well.

Cetirizine will do the trick, even better if you can take travel sickness tablets, they are also drowsy.

Thank you so much! Seems your job in a pharmacy definitely is paying off (when it comes to ill people on TSR needing advice haha)!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rsd_x
Thanks so much. If you're eating, stop reading now as there may be TMI! I have shined a torch in my throat and my tonsils look large, red, inflamed with what seems to be blood on them. No white marks however. I think this diflam spray sounds really good, I will definitely go to the pharmacy tomorrow to get some! Thanks again

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eww thanks for the heads up there :P I'd definitely get it looked at if it's looking grim. Maybe go to a pharmacy next chance you get, ask for the spray and ask about the grimness situation. That or call 111. :smile:
Hey probably late but how you feel now? I have tonsillitis, but not the usual one the bacterial one. Strep throat I think it's called. Been on antibiotics but the swelling has barely gone down and the white marks I have are still there. I'm taking waay too much paracetamol I'm in that much pain, so I now have codeine only tablets so I can take more of that but not all the paracetamol. It hurts :'( hope you're well now!

Quick Reply

Latest