The Student Room Group

Vice Principal states institutionalised racism doesn't exist in their school district

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
Votes to keep Redskins mascot.

http://woodtv.com/2017/02/08/paw-paw-redskins-mascot-decision/

Isn't "redskins" offensive to Native Americans? Sad!

No, it isn't.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html?utm_term=.8ee1b6e154e5

However, it is offensive to white middle class SJW tossers.

Do you find it offensive by any chance?
Whether or not they find it offensive is irrelevant, the meaning of the name matters. Its origins.
Original post by yudothis
Whether or not they find it offensive is irrelevant, the meaning of the name matters. Its origins.

Have you told the native Americans this?

They seem to be unaware that they should feel offended!

Oh, that's OK you're offended enough for all of them.
Original post by joe cooley

I did not say they should feel offended. Continuing your trend from yesterday to just make up stuff that fits your argument?

they actually have tried to get the name and logo changed though...
Original post by 0to100
they actually have tried to get the name and logo changed though...

Some have, but the great majority of Native Americans don't mind. The name and logo have been around for decades and aren't really hurting anyone. Redskin as a pejorative is a little antiquated at this point, anyway.

Most Native Americans don't care. Most other Americans don't care. It doesn't need to change.
Original post by Dandaman1
Some have, but the great majority of Native Americans don't mind. The name and logo have been around for decades and aren't really hurting anyone. Redskin as a pejorative is a little antiquated at this point, anyway.

Most Native Americans don't care. Most other Americans don't care. It doesn't need to change.

link that most don't care?

I'm sure many care but I'm also sure all of them care more about Trump permitting a company to use land across several of their reservations as a sewerage, and dumping ground :\

I actually find that more appalling than the muslim thing because people will be directly hurt by that, those landfills cause cancer
Reply 8
Original post by 0to100

I'm sure many care but I'm also sure all of them care more about Trump permitting a company to use land across several of their reservations as a sewerage, and dumping ground :\

I actually find that more appalling than the muslim thing because people will be directly hurt by that, those landfills cause cancer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html?utm_term=.bfbae22b35f4

The pipeline is not on the Standing rock Sioux's land and they are the one upset.

What Muslim thing you mean the ban of 7 nations?
Original post by joecphillips
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html?utm_term=.bfbae22b35f4

The pipeline is not on the Standing rock Sioux's land and they are the one upset.

What Muslim thing you mean the ban of 7 nations?

Idc about online polls, I've read peer reviewed articles years ago written by Native Americans who say it's racist but again I'm sure they have bigger issues like the standing rock thing. And even if it's not through their land (it apparently is) there are other reservations that are used as landfills. I still would like to see your source saying which land it actually will be on since I'm not about fighting other people's battles and will be glad to stand corrected if ya can.
Original post by 0to100

See the link in Joe Cooley's post above. There have in fact been several surveys on this topic. Each time like 9 in 10 Native Americans say they aren't offended by the name.

When land is used on a reservation for waste disposal, it's typically with the approval of tribal representatives (or is actually on other private/federal land and is just near a reservation).

And Muslims aren't banned, either. Just people from specific countries which are deemed to be high risk. Kewait actually did the same thing and I don't remember anyone complaining about that.
Original post by Dandaman1
See the link in Joe Cooley's post above. There have in fact been several surveys on this topic. Each time like 9 in 10 Native Americans say they aren't offended by the name.

When land is used on a reservation for waste disposal, it's typically with the approval of tribal representatives (or is actually on other private/federal land and is just near a reservation).

And Muslims aren't banned, either. Just people from specific countries which are deemed to be high risk. Kewait actually did the same thing and I don't remember anyone complaining about that.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I just saw an article saying those countries don't pose an evident risk.

About the redskin thing, I never said most do care about it. I said many do. And those polls are not credible. Idk maybe use google scholar for "native americans are upset about redskins" @joecphillips
http://www.aistm.org/1indexpage.htm

there took me two seconds
Reply 12
IMG_2673.JPG
Reply 13
Original post by 0to100
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I just saw an article saying those countries don't pose an evident risk.

About the redskin thing, I never said most do care about it. I said many do. And those polls are not credible. Idk maybe use google scholar for "native americans are upset about redskins" @joecphillips
http://www.aistm.org/1indexpage.htm

there took me two seconds

So you give us the credible source of a protest site made by a 5 year
Original post by joecphillips
So you give us the credible source of a protest site made by a 5 year

what?

Anyone with eyes who bothers to simply scroll down will see that there are links to articles and archives relating to people's fury over the logos.

As well as this stat that you obtusely overlooked:

"Today, 81 percent of respondents indicated use of American Indian names, symbols and mascots are predominantly offensive and deeply disparaging to Native Americans."

You have polls, I have polls. People call the washingtonpost and huffpost and all these popular online news media sites rubbish until it conveniences them, huh?

Keep in mind that you're trying to defend it's not racist and that no american indians care lol And they say I'm racist bloody hell mate
Reply 15
Original post by 0to100
what?

Anyone with eyes who bothers to simply scroll down will see that there are links to articles and archives relating to people's fury over the logos.

"Today, 81 percent of respondents indicated use of American Indian names, symbols and mascots are predominantly offensive and deeply disparaging to Native Americans."

You have polls, I have polls. People call the washingtonpost and huffpost and all these popular online news media sites rubbish until it conveniences them, huh?

People say they have a particular bias yes and those stories go against their bias are you saying that they are fake or a right wing site.
Anyway my argument isn't that I care. It's now just a battle of copy pasting links to prove or disprove that American Indians/Native Americans/whatever care about the logos. Whether you agree with me or like me or not, proof has been posted that they do care. And whether the pipeline is directly through that particular tribe's land or not, other tribes are being used as landfills. This is a blatant fact I can't pretend isn't a big deal, and if you actually try to argue "they should get over it" just to have a go at me, that's on you and your conscience and karma, not mine :u:
Original post by 0to100
what?

Keep in mind that you're trying to defend it's not racist and that no american indians care lol And they say I'm racist bloody hell mate

Most of those articles linked to in the website seem to be referring to the Cleveland Indians mascot fiasco. But special interest groups protesting mascots are not necessarily indicative of the feelings of the general Native American population in the US as a whole.

Additionally, the 81% poll does not indicate how many people were surveyed or even where that sample came from. A town? A meeting? The publication's subscribers?

Anyway, context is also important. People can find the word Redskin offensive when used as an insult, for example, but may still not not necessarily be offended by the long-standing Washington Redskins team name. To many it depends how the word is used.
Original post by yudothis
I did not say they should feel offended. Continuing your trend from yesterday to just make up stuff that fits your argument?

So what was the point of your post then?
So what was the point of your post then?

Motivation matters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending