The Student Room Group
Hi,
I'm having trouble with Student Finance Wales not allowing my son to have the 'abroad' rate of reduced maintenance loan which I think is about £600 more than the 'elsewhere' rate. Are there any welsh uni students on a paid placement year abroad that would check their entitlement letter to see if they get more than £3030? I'm losing the will to live dealing with SFW. Thanks
I've been living in Wales for nearly 5 years (it'll be over 5 by the time of starting university in 2017) and I was under the impression that the grant provided by the government wasn't means tested? Is this the case? I always thought it was the loan that was means tested and not the grant. Please help me if I'm wrong the website is just confusing me! If the grant isn't means tested what's the value of the grant? Thank you for your help!!
hi is the funding still the same for 17/18? have the changes for 18/19 been confirmed yet?
Reply 4
I'm English, looking at studying in Bristol in 17/18 but living in Wales. So do I apply to SF England or wales?
Hello,
I am looking at applying for Occupational Therapy BSC courses in Cardiff and some English universities.
I am looking at some issues and was wondering if you could help with this.
1. I am going travelling between the months of February till July 2017, can i access the SFW documents and send this off for funding as Cardiff has provisionally accepted me.
2. if i went to an english University, would the welsh grant and maintenance grant be the same?
kind regards
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
Hi,
I'm having trouble with Student Finance Wales not allowing my son to have the 'abroad' rate of reduced maintenance loan which I think is about £600 more than the 'elsewhere' rate. Are there any welsh uni students on a paid placement year abroad that would check their entitlement letter to see if they get more than £3030? I'm losing the will to live dealing with SFW. Thanks

Sorry to hear that you are frustrated with SFW at the moment. Normally if a student is on a paid placement abroad it doesn't attract the abroad rate. To the best of my knowledge you would only get the abroad rate if you were on a full year Erasmus , a full year study abroad / part year study abroad.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Kay
Original post by laurabentley
I've been living in Wales for nearly 5 years (it'll be over 5 by the time of starting university in 2017) and I was under the impression that the grant provided by the government wasn't means tested? Is this the case? I always thought it was the loan that was means tested and not the grant. Please help me if I'm wrong the website is just confusing me! If the grant isn't means tested what's the value of the grant? Thank you for your help!!

The tuition fee loan and grant are both non-means tested.

The maintenance loan and the Welsh government learning grant are both means tested and the amount you are awarded will be based on your household income.

Hope this helps

Thank you

Kay
Original post by Matt_1994
hi is the funding still the same for 17/18? have the changes for 18/19 been confirmed yet?

The funding for 17/18 is continuing , where you can apply for the Tuition fee loan, Tuition fee grant and also the Maintenance loan and the Welsh government learning grant.
18/19 has not been decided as yet however we have had recommendation from 'the diamond review' on how student finance in Wales should change.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Kay
Original post by faylauren
I'm English, looking at studying in Bristol in 17/18 but living in Wales. So do I apply to SF England or wales?

If you will be a first year student in 17/18 and your home address is in Wales prior to the course starting then you would apply to Student Finance Wales for your funding.

Hope this helps

Thank you

Kay
Original post by alexthomas21
Hello,
I am looking at applying for Occupational Therapy BSC courses in Cardiff and some English universities.
I am looking at some issues and was wondering if you could help with this.
1. I am going travelling between the months of February till July 2017, can i access the SFW documents and send this off for funding as Cardiff has provisionally accepted me.
2. if i went to an english University, would the welsh grant and maintenance grant be the same?
kind regards

1. You can apply online for your student finance from anywhere in the world our website is www.studentfinancewales.co.uk please do ensure you also print off and sign the online decralation form at the end and post that via mail to us with the correct postage amount. You can use you uk passport number as ID on your online application. The application isn't open as yet but please do keep checking our website for updates as to when it does open.

2. You can get the Welsh tuition fee grant and the Welsh government learning grant if you study anywhere in the U.K. So long as it is a publicly funded university.

Hope this helps

Thank you

Kay
Thanks for the questions, and a big thanks to Kay for their helpful answers.

Latest

Trending

Trending