The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1300
Original post by HolyRomanEmpire
Very interesting indeed. I wish we could see the stats for History...

Someone could very easily send a broader (all courses) FOI request using the original one as a template :wink:
Original post by Mathemagicien
Cringebridge.

You'll be a fan of Grudgebridge then...

Spoiler

Original post by jamestg
How come Econ decreased so much? :O

Surely the A*A*A requirements can't put off too many people?

Brexit.
Original post by jneill
Someone could very easily send a broader (all courses) FOI request using the original one as a template :wink:

Alternatively people could wait for the stats to be released by the university as happens as a matter of course rather than causing unnecessary extra work... :smile:
Reply 1305
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Alternatively people could wait for the stats to be released by the university as happens as a matter of course rather than causing unnecessary extra work... :smile:

Fair comment :smile: Any idea when that'll be this time? May?
Original post by jneill
Fair comment :smile: Any idea when that'll be this time? May?

May sounds about right. It will be after the March deadline for the second round of mature applications.
Brexit.

But Brexit would not explain the increase in Mathematics applications? Unless there is a difference in the demographics of people applying for Economics compared to Mathematics (a greater proportion of Europeans apply for Economics?)
Original post by RightAngle
But Brexit would not explain the increase in Mathematics applications? Unless there is a difference in the demographics of people applying for Economics compared to Mathematics (a greater proportion of Europeans apply for Economics?)

Brexit isn't the only reason of course but it's a significant factor- EU applications fell by 14% across the university and economics was a subject that had one of the biggest falls in EU applicants. The official rise to 2 A*s will also have been a factor but economics has been falling in numbers for a while, in part I think because we have succeeded in explaining just how mathematical and therefore different from many other courses it is.
Brexit isn't the only reason of course but it's a significant factor- EU applications fell by 14% across the university and economics was a subject that had one of the biggest falls in EU applicants. The official rise to 2 A*s will also have been a factor but economics has been falling in numbers for a while, in part I think because we have succeeded in explaining just how mathematical and therefore different from many other courses it is.

Thank you for your reply. My daughter was one of the lucky ones who got a Maths offer despite the significant increase in applicants this year. But as I have mentioned before only about 25% of women appear to make their Maths offer so there is still plenty of room for a slip between cup and mouth!! She is aware of this so the heavy lifting is still ahead for her.
Original post by Zacken
You'll be a fan of Grudgebridge then...

Jazzbridge
Original post by jneill
You wouldn't have thought so given that A*A*A was pretty much the standard offer last year anyway, but yeah strange. And HSPS down bigly too.

Yet UCAS "L" courses (i.e. Social Studies including both Economics & HSPS) are up generally across the UK.

Interesting...

I think the decrease in HSPS applicants can be partially attributed to the introduction of the new History and Politics course.
Reply 1313
Original post by loletta
I think the decrease in HSPS applicants can be partially attributed to the introduction of the new History and Politics course.

Yes that will be interesting to see when we get the full stats release.
Original post by jneill
Yes that will be interesting to see when we get the full stats release.

Wasn't there only 40 places up for grabs on that course? If so it will be VERY interesting to see the amount of applicants for it - I was debating applying for it myself and I've possibly dodged a bit of a statistical bullet.
Reply 1315
Hey, I had a question for current students at Cambridge. I was reading up on the term dates and I'm a little confused on when each starts and ends. For example, on the website there is a table which says that the michaelmas term begins on the 3rd of October and ends on the 1st of December. However, underneath there is a paragraph which says that it begins on the 1st of October and ends on the 19th of December. So by which date do I have to be at Cambridge and when can I leave for the holidays, for each term.
Original post by KICXX
Hey, I had a question for current students at Cambridge. I was reading up on the term dates and I'm a little confused on when each starts and ends. For example, on the website there is a table which says that the michaelmas term begins on the 3rd of October and ends on the 1st of December. However, underneath there is a paragraph which says that it begins on the 1st of October and ends on the 19th of December. So by which date do I have to be at Cambridge and when can I leave for the holidays, for each term.

This will depend on the college. Term start and end dates are the latest/earliest you can enter/leave Cambridge respectively (usually). However, most people usually come in Cambridge a week before term starts and leave a week after it ends. It really will depend on your college and the rent contract you have. I'll post a picture of the King's residency dates when I have time in a bit, if you wish.
Reply 1317
Original post by Zacken
This will depend on the college. Term start and end dates are the latest/earliest you can enter/leave Cambridge respectively (usually). However, most people usually come in Cambridge a week before term starts and leave a week after it ends. It really will depend on your college and the rent contract you have. I'll post a picture of the King's residency dates when I have time in a bit, if you wish.

I'll be at Trinity college. Yeah thanks, that would be helpful.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KICXX
I'll be at Trinity college.

Unconditional?

Yeah thanks, that would be helpful.

Original post by Mathemagicien
Jazzbridge

ngl I actually liked the stuff they linked

Latest