The Student Room Group
would you recommend living at home or living away? what do you think are the advantages etc. I am thinking about studying about 45 mins away from home so don't know whether to commute or move out.
I have GCSEs and doing my A levels now but I don't have a UK passport and have a dependent visa on my dad so staying here is not a problem but am i able to apply for an apprenticeship? not an eu citizen either
Hey Luke,

It would be great to hear some of your experiences on doing an apprenticeship, especially vs going the university route.
From you experience, what are the pros/cons of the route you took?

Would you do anything differently if you could do the whole thing all over again. Any tips for those currently thinking about apprenticeship vs university?

Great to hear your experiences!
Reply 4
Hi. I wanted to know what sort of experience you need in order to do an apprenticeship at places such as KPMG and Deloitte. Ive got A levels in Biology,Chemistry and Psychology with AS maths and was always sure of going into a profession of healthcare/science, however after a LOT of work experience i now know it is not for me and i'm trying to explore other wider options. Any help would be appreciated! Ive applied for dental hygiene and therapy!
I'm a current engineering apprentice and living at home so I'm really interested in your experiences. Did you pay board or contributions and what did you do with the money you would have been spending on rent e. g. save it or something like that?
Original post by brainzistheword
I'm a current engineering apprentice and living at home so I'm really interested in your experiences. Did you pay board or contributions and what did you do with the money you would have been spending on rent e. g. save it or something like that?

Personally I have found it very easy to get by as I pay a small about in keep to my parents, but when earning while you learn I personally don't save much, only what I have planned ahead and know I need to save for such as the next years van insurance or a holiday. However if you plan on moving out and are going to need to be paying ALOT more on rent and other bills you might want to start sooner.
Original post by SashaF
Hi. I wanted to know what sort of experience you need in order to do an apprenticeship at places such as KPMG and Deloitte. Ive got A levels in Biology,Chemistry and Psychology with AS maths and was always sure of going into a profession of healthcare/science, however after a LOT of work experience i now know it is not for me and i'm trying to explore other wider options. Any help would be appreciated! Ive applied for dental hygiene and therapy!

One great thing about apprenticeships is a lot of the time the grades you enter with aren't the main issue, for myself and many other apprentice's I know the two things an employer looks for is 1. enthusiasm and 2. aptitude, the reason that comes into play is in the real world being an academic is great, but if you can't put your knowledge into practice what good will you be. So in preparation I would focus on those two things and if you have the grades as well you probably stand a great chance.
Original post by CJ
Hey Luke,

It would be great to hear some of your experiences on doing an apprenticeship, especially vs going the university route.

Would you do anything differently if you could do the whole thing all over again. Any tips for those currently thinking about apprenticeship vs university?

My personal experience has been incredible, it's taken 4 years but I am now a competent technician working on partial accelerators and have been to several places around the world doing it, including CERN; and when I think about my personal life during this it was also incredible because I was earning money to 'have a life' in my free time. The exact comparison is a friend of mine now has a degree in engineering, but no practical knowledge, WHAT SO EVER!! and is in about £70,000 debt, in that time I have a foundation degree (only 2 years off his qualification) and I have earned £50,000, a £120,000 DIFFERENCE, for essentially the same academic qualifications, but I can also put my knowledge into practice. If I was to do it again there is nothing I would change, I do get a little melon colley sometime when I hear of peoples experiences at uni, as I do feel as though a key part of growing up was missed, but that is more the social aspects, and I would try and keep social reasons out of your decision when making a decision that will affect the rest of your life.
Hi I'm studying chemistry but am pretty interested in space.I was wondering if its possible for chemists to work in the space sector?
Original post by CJ
Hey Luke,

Personally my experience has been incredible, I have earned while I learned and while a friend of mine has been to uni for essentially the exact same qualification, he is now in debt £70,000 where as I have earned £50,000 and I also have the practical knowledge where as he has never lifted a spanner, yet claims to be an engineer. My apprenticeship has taken me to work on particle accelerators all over the world including CERN. When I think about how I would do it if I could do it again I wouldn't change a thing. Occasionally I do feel a bit Ignore hearing other peoples story's of uni, but when making such an important decision I would try and leave social reasons out of your decision process as it is only 3 years, yet it will impact the rest of your life; and regardless of not going uni, I still got the opportunity to live in a flat with all my mates so I no longer feel like I missed anything.
Original post by kamilla_
I have GCSEs and doing my A levels now but I don't have a UK passport and have a dependent visa on my dad so staying here is not a problem but am i able to apply for an apprenticeship? not an eu citizen either

I really don't know, I expect it depends on the particular apprenticeship but not sure, if you live here currently and have no date you must leave by I expect there wouldn't be a problem at most companies. Where are you from if you don't mind me asking.
Original post by Matt_1994
would you recommend living at home or living away? what do you think are the advantages etc. I am thinking about studying about 45 mins away from home so don't know whether to commute or move out.

During my apprenticeship I have done both. I began by living at my parents and it was only a small commute to be fair. However I had meals cooked for me and didn't even have to pay keep at the time. Then I moved out to a flat with 4 of my mates only 2 minuets from work. It was one of the funniest times of my life as you might expect. However it was £100 rent each a month, plus bills and food bill petrol and insurance (which all adds up very fast). Essentially It meant my monthly wage of £1000 quickly became £500 a month. Then I got evicted and am now back at my parents, but now I am paying keep. I would say it really depends on your exact wage, distance to travel and other personal reasons. But I was paying £100 a month, you will be lucky to find a place for less than £400.

If you read some of my other answers I got into my different living situations, but basically I'd say if you are earning while you learn at this age saving isn't a priority. Ensure you save enough for every expenditure you know is coming up, such as next years insurance or a holiday or whatever; and it is probably best to have a safety net in your bank account just in case of something un-expected, but my opinion has been that I work to live, not live to work, so as long as I am living comfortably, anything more I earn I spend on what ever I want, rather than putting it into a savings account.
Original post by Luke Bladen
If you read some of my other answers I got into my different living situations, but basically I'd say if you are earning while you learn at this age saving isn't a priority. Ensure you save enough for every expenditure you know is coming up, such as next years insurance or a holiday or whatever; and it is probably best to have a safety net in your bank account just in case of something un-expected, but my opinion has been that I work to live, not live to work, so as long as I am living comfortably, anything more I earn I spend on what ever I want, rather than putting it into a savings account.

Very interesting, thanks for your reply! Do you pay less keep than you used to pay rent if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks for your questions everyone. Luke didn't quite get chance to answer them all live - but don't worry we will make sure they get answered asap.
Very interesting, thanks for your reply! Do you pay less keep than you used to pay rent if you don't mind me asking?

Hi - answer from Luke:

No it is actually the same, £100 a month, but when I was at a rented house, I had to pay bills and food on top of that which I don't pay at my parents. However £100 a month rent is an incredible deal, and I only got it because it wasn't technically legit, and the land lord was a friends mam. Normal rent prices even on a studio apartment will be £400-£500, and then bills and food will probably take you to £700 a month easily. I would look into it if I were you but expect to loose at least half your wage.
Original post by Robby2312
Hi I'm studying chemistry but am pretty interested in space.I was wondering if its possible for chemists to work in the space sector?

Hi - answer from Luke:

Working at a laboratory with people in all disciplines of science, along with engineering. I have noticed that people are able to move from one discipline to another as long as they are committed to the job. Whether or not you could make such a transition immediately after gaining your chemistry qualification I couldn't say, but if that is the route you would like to take I would say apply to any and as many space jobs as well as chemistry jobs as you can, go to all the interviews and show enthusiasm for them all and you might get lucky. If not and you can only get a chemistry job, just take that and continue to search for a career in space and eventually you will find it. There are people at this laboratory who started as cleaners or security, but they are now research scientists.

Latest

Trending

Trending