The Student Room Group

On the reforms

Greetings all,

I read on gov.uk that after the reform,

-AS and A levels will be decoupled this means that AS results will no longer count towards an A level, in the way they do now.
-AS levels can be designed by exam boards to be taught alongside the first year of A levels.

Does it mean that you can no longer do AS levels and then upgrade them to A-Levels by taking the required papers?
And I think I fail to understand fully the second point.

Also it seems that CIE board is unaffected by this change, as little related can be found on the official site and latest syllabi.

So please could someone give me a bit of pointer-outs about this matter, thanks so much.
You can sit AS level exams, but they are an optional separate qualification so not all sixth forms will offer them. You now take exams at the end of the two year period, which make up all the marks for the A-level and cover all of the syllabus (not just half of it). If you did take the AS then these marks are not considered when grading the A-level.
Original post by DasVolk
Greetings all,

I read on gov.uk that after the reform,

-AS and A levels will be decoupled this means that AS results will no longer count towards an A level, in the way they do now.
-AS levels can be designed by exam boards to be taught alongside the first year of A levels.

Does it mean that you can no longer do AS levels and then upgrade them to A-Levels by taking the required papers?
And I think I fail to understand fully the second point.

Also it seems that CIE board is unaffected by this change, as little related can be found on the official site and latest syllabi.

So please could someone give me a bit of pointer-outs about this matter, thanks so much.

Your question talks about "after" the reform. For many subjects the reform has already happened and those taking A levels in those subjects this year do so under this new system. As already explained above, you can do an optional AS if you wish but the A level exams will test the full two years of study.

CIE and Edexcel International A levels are unaffected by these changes. Students taking WJEC exams in Wales or CCEA exams in Northern Ireland are subject to different processes of reform.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
Your question talks about "after" the reform. For many subjects the reform has already happened and those taking A levels in those subjects this year do so under this new system. As already explained above, you can do an optional AS if you wish but the A level exams will test the full two years of study.

CIE and Edexcel International A levels are unaffected by these changes. Students taking WJEC exams in Wales or CCEA exams in Northern Ireland are subject to different processes of reform.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Now that universities will look at GCSE grades in their admission process, and I wonder if this would have the same implications for students taking international A-levels? Since some of these students take A-levels without IGCSE, would they be in some form of disadvantage in their application?
Original post by DasVolk
Thanks! Now that universities will look at GCSE grades in their admission process, and I wonder if this would have the same implications for students taking international A-levels? Since some of these students take A-levels without IGCSE, would they be in some form of disadvantage in their application?

Universities consider international applicants separately from domestic applicants. Nothing has changed for international applicants who may or may not have GCSE/IGCSE and may or may not have AS results or even take A levels.
For domestic applicants, GCSE have always been looked at as part of an overall assessment of candidates. Different universities/courses have always had different opinions on the significance of GCSE results. I doubt the reforms will alter the importance placed on GCSE significantly. To compensate for the lack of AS results to back up predicted grades, many universities are starting to rely on a variety of tests to indicate candidate potential.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest