The Student Room Group

Cambridge Uni Students Burn Money in Front of Homeless Person

Scroll to see replies

Original post by limetang
What action can they take? It wasn't a crime and he presumably wasn't doing this on university property.

I'm not justifying what he did as right mind you (it was a pretty despicable thing to do), but without the university vastly overreaching in terms of its authority I don't see how any of it is their business.

You'd be surprised at the reach of Cambridge's jurisdiction of those in statu pupillari. I think at the very least he'll be rusticated, if nothing else to be made an example of.
Reply 61

Pembroke house is teaching children to play an instrument. Which is wonderful, but how is that helping the homeless community. I suppose a few homeless people may go to the lunch for "fabulous older people..." is that really enough? Also, the community space may be used during the day as a safe haven for homeless people, but what about at night?

After this incident I hope the student community at Cambridge becomes even *more* active than you seem to think they are.

Original post by Jeremy T
I agree totally, and there are many homeless people in Cambridge. But the more publicity this gets, and the more revulsion, and the more signatures on the petition including by Cambridge students and fellows, and if Coyne does get expelled, prosecuted and jailed, then there will be some momentum which hopefully will lead to more volunteering in Cambridge and perhaps also improve the atmosphere in the country as a whole. Homelessness is a disgrace in a civilised society.

Those in senior positions, or who are progressing towards them, who have the attitude that people less fortunate than themselves are scum of the earth, suitable only for goading and having contempt thrown at them, should be removed from those positions or not allowed to progress towards them.

That's a statement that a lot of people would agree with.

There have been other cases e.g. of pupils at private schools arranging a mock "hunt" of "chavs", and so on. Many many cases. I'm hoping this case will get MAXIMUM publicity, because it really says a LOT about what Britain is like, what many at the privately-educated TOP of Britain are like.

I agree completely with this. People in positions like this should be removed and not allowed to continue. This isn't simply a matter of a slap on the wrist and a warning. This is a person who will likely be in a position of power because of who he was born to and the school he went to... those privileges also mean he should know better. But I am led to believe that a lot of young men are brought up to believe the world is their playground so...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Mimikyu
Pembroke house is teaching children to play instrument. Which is wonderful, but how is that helping the homeless community. I suppose a few homeless people may go to the lunch for "fabulous older people..." is that really enough? Also, the community space may be used during the day as a safe haven for homless people, but what about at night?

After this incident I hope the student community at Cambridge becomes even *more* active than you seem to think they are.

They host a homeless choir.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mimikyu
This is a person who will likely be in a position of power because of who he was born to and the school he went to... those privileges also mean he should know better.

Why? Why doesn't attending a top pubic school automatically mean that he should suddenly 'know better'. As if the monied background suddenly makes the idiocy of youth sometimes vanish like the morning mist? Logically speaking, leading a life full of privilege would mean it's less reasonable to expect him to know better, because he's less likely to have been exposed to any sort of privation or disadvantage.

The guy is a total idiot. I don't think the mother is helping very much, either. She's come up with 'oh, he'd was never that kind of person..so kind...would never do something like that, it's not in his nature" type spiel. Well, lady, in my opinion you don't suddenly decide one day to humiliate those most deprived and vulnerable in society because you thought it'd be a jolly jape - it's something deep in your character which results in *****y behaviour like this. The mother clearly doesn't know the son very well.

However, it's a shame this is another weapon in the class war that is Town v. Gown, Uni v. non-Uni, South v. North, Poor v. Rich et... The Daily Mail is going to dine out on it, but the story could have been custom written for them. It's a gift. He'll be hounded down (his family and friends) publicly flogged and humiliated and then hung out to dry. That's how we do things, and I don't think in this case it's entirely unwarranted. I just hope that it doesn't result in even more ferociously bright potential Cambridge students from disadvantaged backgrounds being further put off from applying because, it seems, it really "isn't for them".
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
They host a homeless choir.

Now is their chance to show that they are not a "safe haven" from which their members can saunter out in the evening to commit crimes against homeless people.
Reply 65
Original post by Reality Check
Why? Why doesn't attending a top pubic school automatically mean that he should suddenly 'know better'. As if the monied background suddenly makes the idiocy of youth sometimes vanish like the morning mist? Logically speaking, leading a life full of privilege would mean it's less reasonable to expect him to know better, because he's less likely to have been exposed to any sort of privation or disadvantage.

The guy is a total idiot. I don't think the mother is helping very much, either. She's come up with 'oh, he'd was never that kind of person..so kind...would never do something like that, it's not in his nature" type spiel. Well, lady, in my opinion you don't suddenly decide one day to humiliate those most deprived and vulnerable in society because you thought it'd be a jolly jape - it's something deep in your character which results in *****y behaviour like this. The mother clearly doesn't know the son very well.

However, it's a shame this is another weapon in the class war that is Town v. Gown, Uni v. non-Uni, South v. North, Poor v. Rich et... The Daily Mail is going to dine out on it, but the story could have been custom written for them. It's a gift. He'll be hounded down (his family and friends) publicly flogged and humiliated and then hung out to dry. That's how we do things, and I don't think in this case it's entirely unwarranted. I just hope that it doesn't result in even more ferociously bright potential Cambridge students from disadvantaged backgrounds being further put off from applying because, it seems, it really "isn't for them".

100% agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66

Original post by Mimikyu
But I am led to believe that a lot of young men are brought up to believe the world is their playground so...

I think your highlighted quotation of my reply to this thread should have at least been followed by this qualification. I acknowledged that a lot of young men (and women) are brought up to believe that society is their plaything. I am not naive enough to believe that a "good" education leads to a moral education. I am sorry if I came across that way. I will be more careful with my word choice from now on.

I just hope that it doesn't mean even more ferociously bright potential Cambridge students from disadvantaged backgrounds aren't further put off applying because, it seems, it really "isn't for them".

I also hope for this with all of my heart. I hope Cambridge and Oxford do more to make their university more inclusive of people from all sorts of backgrounds. Dealing with this incident in an appropriate manner, whatever that happens to be in the end, would be a big step in that direction.
Reply 67
Original post by lopterton
Now is their chance to show that they are not a "safe haven" from which their members can saunter out in the evening to commit crimes against homeless people.

There are idiots everywhere.
http://m.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/drunk-yobs-urinated-and-beat-up-disabled-homeless-man-in-cheltenham/story-30007259-detail/story.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just hope that it doesn't result in even more ferociously bright potential Cambridge students from disadvantaged backgrounds being further put off from applying because, it seems, it really "isn't for them".

This is a reason why the College and University should announce in public that they wish the police to investigate the alleged crime. I think everyone is entitled to a fair trial and he is no exception. If he has already admitted it, he should be expelled from the College and University with immediate effect, today. If he denies it, wait until the verdict. Since he was caught on film doing it, I doubt that any defence would be successful. This includes the defences that some people are offering in comments sections, such as that he was drunk, he was being "silly", or this kind of thing happens in Cambridge. People who offer such "defences" are operating from the same place that he is, just from a more "moderate" end of it. They don't realise that this was NOT a victimless crime. If a homeless person abused a toff, they'd take a different attitude.
(edited 7 years ago)
Honestly, I'd love to see this kid go and live with a normal family. If you can burn £20 you are pretty damn privileged.
Original post by Mimikyu
I also hope for this with all of my heart. I hope Cambridge and Oxford do more to make their university more inclusive of people from all sorts of backgrounds. Dealing with this incident in an appropriate manner, whatever that happens to be in the end, would be a big step in that direction.

I agree that it's important that the University and College deal with this appropriately, but I don't think there's much chance of their not doing so. However, it's important to remember that both Universities do a huge amount to encourage as far as possible anyone who has the ability to succeed to apply. Cambridge now has more students from the state sector than the private sector, and Oxford is improving, though they're a bit behind (in so many ways). But in the end, all the outreach in the world isn't going to make any difference if those disadvantaged pupils don't apply in the first place, and those 'failing' schools don't have the ambition for their pupils to apply either. That's what so potentially damaging about stories like these. After all, if you were a protective parent of a child you'd struggled to raise to the best of your abilities on very little, would you want to take the risk of your child being the next target of a scumbag like this?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by Mimikyu
also hope for this with all of my heart. I hope Cambridge and Oxford do more to make their university more inclusive of people from all sorts of backgrounds.

Cambridge invests VERY heavily in outreach to attract students from all backgrounds. I note they "even" have current students from the Traveller/Gypsy community.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Percypig17
Did the article clarify why he did that? Like is it some kind of initiation rite like the entry to the Bullingdon Club etc.

The alleged burning of fifties in front of homeless people by the Bulls is probably just a myth (albeit one that supposed members told the tabloids about), but it's an enduring one and I would guess he was probably acting it out in his drunken state.

His parents are saying they are not posh, normal family, etc. I feel a bit sorry for them, as the full glare will be on them at the moment.
kinda feel sorry for him, one drunken mistake that didn't really cause any harm to anyone and now his entire life is ruined.
Reply 74
Original post by Mordecai on High
kinda feel sorry for him, one drunken mistake that didn't really cause any harm to anyone and now his entire life is ruined.

IT DID HARM SOMEONE.

Or do you not consider the emotional trauma of the homeless person worth a man's career and future prospects? Because I sure as hell do. I think the emotional trauma of this man and the homeless community he is a part of is worth that and more!
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The alleged burning of fifties in front of homeless people by the Bulls is probably just a myth (albeit one that supposed members told the tabloids about), but it's an enduring one and I would guess he was probably acting it out in his drunken state.

His parents are saying they are not posh, normal family, etc. I feel a bit sorry for them, as the full glare will be on them at the moment.

In many ways there's nothing more terrifying than the Tabloids in full hue and cry. They don't give up on their quarry.
Original post by Mimikyu
IT DID HARM SOMEONE.

Or do you not consider the emotional trauma of the homeless person worth a man's career and future prospects? Because I sure as hell do. I think the emotional trauma of this man and the homeless community he is a part of is worth that and more!

Jeez, emotional much.

How do you know about the homeless person's "emotional trauma" (caused as a result of someone attempting to set some money alight in their view)? There is no video of the event available online (as far as I know) so how have you come to this conclusion?

Does eating a sandwich in front of a homeless person have the same effect?
(edited 7 years ago)
"M'lud may i suggest you read this article on the interwebs : http://www.legalcheek.com/2017/02/cambridge-law-student-filmed-on-snapchat-torching-20-note-in-front-of-homeless-man/ ?
"The comments at the end are fine examples of what is known in the lower reaches of our profession as bantz"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises

Do you feel sorry for the victim of this man's crime?

His parents should take some of the blame, because obviously this disgusting wretch wasn't brought up properly. If the only bad influences came at the private school he attended, which in my opinion is very unlikely, then didn't his parents ever wonder how the school was influencing him? I mean they didn't have to send him there, or to keep him there.
Original post by the bear
"M'lud may i suggest you read this article on the interwebs : http://www.legalcheek.com/2017/02/cambridge-law-student-filmed-on-snapchat-torching-20-note-in-front-of-homeless-man/ ?
"The comments at the end are fine of examples of what is known in the lower reaches of our profession as bantz"

I think the comment: "Good luck to Ronald in securing a Training Contract" sums it up'.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending