The Student Room Group

Car won't start :-(.

I am stuck here at the college trying to get home for lunch but my damn Mini won't start.

Every time I turn the key, the engine cranks but won't turn over.
Original post by Highland Ellen
I am stuck here at the college trying to get home for lunch but my damn Mini won't start.

Every time I turn the key, the engine cranks but won't turn over.

What do you want us to do about it?
Original post by cbreef
What do you want us to do about it?

A bit of advice instead of rudeness would help 😡😡😡.
Original post by Highland Ellen
A bit of advice instead of rudeness would help 😡😡😡.

We don't exactly have an abundance of details...

Call the AA/RAC/Green Flag or something.
Damn, no need for the attitude!

Hope you got home, probably a dead battery or faulty ignition.

Would be worth trying to jump start it. You've probably already got it started now though
Reply 5
Whilst @cbreef may have been a little rude, they are correct in what they're saying - we can't help you.

There are so many reasons why a car wouldn't start, and we can't diagnose it here - call your breakdown out, and get a reliable mechanic to sort it if the breakdown company can't.

I'll tell you something though, it's unlikely to be your battery if the engine is turning over, therefore a jump start as @tedster2017 mentioned would not solve anything. I do however agree that it could be an issue with your ignition coils, or spark plugs, or fuel pump, or fuel supply, or engine timing, or........ do you see my point? Diagnosing a faulty car is not always easy at the best of times, especially without being there in person.

I hope you get it sorted!
Original post by IWMTom
Whilst @cbreef may have been a little rude, they are correct in what they're saying - we can't help you.

There are so many reasons why a car wouldn't start, and we can't diagnose it here - call your breakdown out, and get a reliable mechanic to sort it if the breakdown company can't.

I'll tell you something though, it's unlikely to be your battery if the engine is turning over, therefore a jump start as @tedster2017 mentioned would not solve anything. I do however agree that it could be an issue with your ignition coils, or spark plugs, or fuel pump, or fuel supply, or engine timing, or........ do you see my point? Diagnosing a faulty car is not always easy at the best of times, especially without being there in person.

I hope you get it sorted!

You raise a valid point. I was only saying because recently my partner couldn't get her car started, it was trying to turning over but the battery was so drained that it kept dying. AA jump started it after at least 20 attempts and diagnosed it as a bad battery and replaced it.
Reply 7
Is there any fuel in it? Most of the time cranking but no-start = out of fuel.

Aside from that, is it petrol or diesel? If it's diesel and has fuel in it but won't start then I wouldn't even know where to start. Diesels will usually start and just run like **** if there's any problems that aren't catastrophic. If it's petrol then pop a plug out and see if there's a spark. If there's no spark then you're looking at coil pack/s.
I'm guessing this is an older mini (ie pre 2007)
I guess the only option is jumpstart or call a mechanic but im guessing you got it going
If it cranks might be a bad starter, dead alternater or dead battery. Pick you poison

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending