The Student Room Group

Why aren't you Vegan?

Scroll to see replies

I am trying to get into veganism. I've started off by cutting out all meat and am slowly trying to reduce my dairy intake and intake of eggs. Soy milk has worked out well for me before so I intend on going back to that. The only problem is I don't have the patience to look at food labels before buying pre-packaged food or just normal everyday food such as sweets etc which may contain animal by-products or glycerine. Also, doesnt being a vegan also mean that you cant wear or use anyting with any sort of animal products in it such as leather, shampoos etc?
1 word...Bacon
Original post by Strom
B12 is supplemented to animals so that its in the meat that you eat. Otherwise, you too would also need to supplement it.

Source?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by DarkEnergy
Not eating tasty meat because of muh moral & ethical implications is more indicative of weakness of character.

If selfishness were a virtue I'm sure you'd be a saint.
Original post by SCIENCE :D

You do realise the largest canines in the animal kingdom belong to the hippo right? A complete herbivore
Original post by NX172
Because instead of relieving some farm animals I rather donate directly to charities that help animals that are actually at risk - climate change / deforestation / poaching, etc.

Oh, and steak.

I didn't realise they were mutually exclusive lol...
Original post by aishaaa101
I am trying to get into veganism. I've started off by cutting out all meat and am slowly trying to reduce my dairy intake and intake of eggs. Soy milk has worked out well for me before so I intend on going back to that. The only problem is I don't have the patience to look at food labels before buying pre-packaged food or just normal everyday food such as sweets etc which may contain animal by-products or glycerine. Also, doesnt being a vegan also mean that you cant wear or use anyting with any sort of animal products in it such as leather, shampoos etc?

Supermarkets aren't great at putting vegan labels on things; but start by checking for a vegetarian label as that will always be there, and then for eggs and milk, they're bolded in the ingredient list as they're allergens so easy to find on pre-packaged food. If it's marked as vegetarian it won't contain animal glycerin or gelatine. You'll soon get used to what you can and can't eat in supermarkets. Also try joining the "vegan supermarket finds UK" group on facebook, where people will post things you would never have thought were vegan. Then when you've got the hang of that, you can look into the less common animal products that might be in pre-packaged items, or for honey. Vegans don't use leather but many of us will keep items we already have, and just not buy new ones. Take it one step at a time, as if it's too hard for you you'll just give up. Good luck!
What is wrong with eating (organic) eggs?
Reply 48
Original post by The_Herbivore
I didn't realise they were mutually exclusive lol...

Noone said they are?
Original post by NX172
Noone said they are?

"Because instead of relieving some farm animals I rather donate directly to charities that help animals that are actually at risk - climate change / deforestation / poaching, etc"
Yes you did. Can you not do both?
Reply 50
"Because instead of relieving some farm animals I rather donate directly to charities that help animals that are actually at risk - climate change / deforestation / poaching, etc"
Yes you did. Can you not do both?

Yes....?
The point is I don't want to "do both" because I have zero interest in becoming Vegan.
Original post by NX172
Yes....?
The point is I don't want to "do both" because I have zero interest in becoming Vegan.

Exactly! So we have clarified it has nothing to do with helping other animals, you're just selfish.
Reply 52
Exactly! So we have clarified it has nothing to do with helping other animals, you're just selfish.

Your logic is astounding.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm a recently new vegan, started in November. I've found it quite easy to plan lots of different meals mostly using whole foods but also using some meat substitutes like the Linda McCartney sausages and vegan quorn pieces. There seems to be a bit of an explosion of vegan items recently in U.K. supermarkets, with loads of new products being released recently. The biggest problem I've had is eating at restaurants, but I've been able to find something suitable at most places with a little bit of research and maybe a phone call.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NX172
Your logic is astounding.

Your poor attempt at an excuse was to say I'd rather help other animals who are facing extinction so I replied, it doesn't have to be one or the other. It was quite simple to understand.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by miser

Thanks mate, I'm sure if virtue signalling and whinging were sports you'd be a multi-sport athlete.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 57
Thanks mate, I'm sure if whinging were a sport you'd be an athlete.

SMAAAAAAAAAAAASH!

Reply 58
Original post by miser

LOL mate you just got SMASHED by @DarkEnergy

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 59
Thanks mate, I'm sure if virtue signalling and whinging were sports you'd be a multi-sport athlete.

Whilst you seem very practised at taking people's words and using them back on them (that's twice in as many replies to me), I can't help but wonder whether you learnt all your debating techniques in the playground. :hahaha:

Kidding aside, I know you accused me of trying to get internet respect points but who're trying to impress playing contrarian? If you have a view on the topic and want to make a reply saying why you disagree with me, addressing the content of what I wrote instead of disparaging how I wrote it, and indeed without copy and pasting what I write to say its opposite, then I'd be all ears. Otherwise I can't help but think reading my boring posts about animal rights would become a waste of your day. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest