The Student Room Group

Cambridge Uni Students Burn Money in Front of Homeless Person

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
this is clearly a case of consuetudo pro lege servatur

Yes, quite.
Original post by astutehirstute
What is your point? RT is "to be questioned", but the DM not used.

The point is you neglected to mention that bit.
Original post by Wōden
Chinless tosser

He has got one of those faces that you just want to punch for no valid reason other than looks like a stuck up prick
Original post by Reality Check
Yes, quite.

Advocati non ultra quam litium poscit utilitas in licentiam conviciandit et malidicendi temeritati prorrumpant

:redface:
Advocati non ultra quam litium poscit utilitas in licentiam conviciandit et malidicendi temeritati prorrumpant

:redface:

Now you're just showing off :smile: (and stop making me try to parse things...: its like being back in double latin on a Friday afternoon)
Original post by jneill
The point is you neglected to mention that bit.

Because it wasn't germane to my point, which still stands.
Original post by lopterton
As far as I am aware, no British "quality" newspaper has yet covered this story. Why not? It has only been the tabloids and the local Cambridge press.

Because all Media is controlled by people like this kids dad. Money makes the world go round. Like Michael Gove best friends with Rupert Murdoch if anyone dares report something bad on his friend Gove they suddenly disappear or get attacked, just how it works.

To put into general public non rich terms, if someone ****ged off your mate and you could do something about to shut them up without ever getting caught or blamed by clicking your fingers, you would do it wouldn't you? Human nature
Original post by Reality Check
Now you're just showing off :smile: (and stop making me try to parse things...: its like being back in double latin on a Friday afternoon)

Illa autem sapientia rerum est divinarum et humanarum scientia in qua continetur deorum et hominum communitas et societas inter ipsos

:hat2:
It's only £20 I don't see much harm in this it's quite a good trick to help the homeless man to want money instead of seeing someone who can just burn money. Plus it's funny!
Illa autem sapientia rerum est divinarum et humanarum scientia in qua continetur deorum et hominum communitas et societas inter ipsos

:cry:..umm ablative of that is...oh no, it's dative...and is that a deponent verb or not::cry:
More than 1600 petition signatures so far, calling on Cambridge University to kick him out.

I hope both Pembroke College and the University are cooperating with the police.
Original post by Anfanny
It's only £20 I don't see much harm in this it's quite a good trick to help the homeless man to want money instead of seeing someone who can just burn money. Plus it's funny!

So you think his action was skilful, amusing AND helpful.

What a triple! Can we nominate him for a medal?
Original post by Mathemagicien
The homeless man is more likely a Trumpette than the Cambridge student who burnt money in front of him...

Actually:

Spoiler

Ursi eunt domus
Original post by jneill
Actually:

Spoiler

urgh
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Ursi eunt domus

[video="youtube;IIAdHEwiAy8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8[/video]
Original post by Anfanny

Are you referring to the OP?

You think it is funny?
Original post by Jeremy T
So you think his action was skilful, amusing AND helpful.

What a triple! Can we nominate him for a medal?

Yes. You read a news article.. Ps homeless people are the pickiest ai'be ever met they'll only east good food and turn down any snacks etc. This guy should get some reward yes but if he kept doing it then that would be mean.
Original post by Mordecai on High
I stand by that, the limited information available does not imply that any crime was committed - included the one you quoted.

I guess we will have to wait and see if he is prosecuted for it to see for sure.

We will have to wait for the verdict. That is if he is prosecuted.

All information is limited. In this case it comprises widely distributed video footage of the action being done. Of course in court he could argue that his intent was to help the homeless man, and not at all to cause his victim distress or alarm, or to harass him. That would be a defence.

I am all in favour of the case being properly tried and, in the event that he doesn't plead guilty, his offering whatever defence he chooses. If he is found guilty or if he pleads guilty, he will also get a chance to offer whatever facts he considers are relevant in mitigation, to support the case for him being sentenced to less than the maximum six months in prison.
Original post by Anfanny
Yes. You read a news article.. Ps homeless people are the pickiest ai'be ever met they'll only east good food and turn down any snacks etc. This guy should get some reward yes but if he kept doing it then that would be mean.

So actions that are not only skilful and amusing but also helpful towards the poor become "mean" when repeated? Why would the cumulative effect of thousands of young Tories a few months out of private school going out and burning £20 notes in front of homeless people not be, from your point of view, very helpful indeed?

I am sure there are millions of people in this country and the world who would love to give this specimen a "reward". Not of any kind you're thinking of, though.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending