The Student Room Group

What is the actual difference between a Russel Group uni and one that isn't?

Without saying one is just better because it has a name etc, what is the difference, because people have told me not to apply to a non Russell group even though my first choice (Lancaster) which isn't in the group, is ranked higher than my Russell group options for law. I'm not going to make an important decision based off what one person says and it just seems like elitism, is there an actual difference making one better than the other?
Original post by futureLawyer99
....is there an actual difference making one better than the other?

no. For the most part Russell Group universities are on most metrics better than universities not in the Russell Group. But this is not because they are in the Russell Group.

If you fancy Lancaster, go there.
There are some people and organisations that, for a whole load of justified and unjustified reason discriminate against people based on where they studied. Oxbridge is obviously the most prestigious followed by Russel Groups and so on. That said, you need to ask yourself if you would want to work for someone that discriminates on that basis. If the answer is no, go where you like. Be assured there are probably more people who do not discriminate and judge people on their merits.
The ONLY distinguishing feature of a russell group university is that their VC is part of a little club.
I love Lancaster uni and hopefully I'm going to get my grades, there's no way I'm letting someone dictate where I go just because of their elitist views, just wondering if there is an actual difference so thank you
Original post by futureLawyer99
Without saying one is just better because it has a name etc, what is the difference, because people have told me not to apply to a non Russell group even though my first choice (Lancaster) which isn't in the group, is ranked higher than my Russell group options for law. I'm not going to make an important decision based off what one person says and it just seems like elitism, is there an actual difference making one better than the other?

Research focus, branding and age for the most part. There's nothing inherently better about Liverpool than say, Sussex.

The top end of the legal sector is still quite 'traditional' in that they focus on recruiting from established universities with a track record of churning out good lawyers.. That said, nowadays with contextualised recruiting and the focus on diversity, that is starting to change somewhat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending