The Student Room Group

Degree apprenticeship vs University degree

Hi guys,

I am at a stage where I have to make a difficult decision and I am hoping that someone here has some experience with this issue.

Currently, I am doing a level 3 apprenticeship as a C# (web) developer. I have applied for UCAS and after I am finished, I will have the choice of university or a level 4 degree apprenticeship.

My long term goal is to work remote as a web/software developer. From a degree apprenticeship I will gain much more (hands-on) experience which is required for most remote jobs and I will also gain a degree (with no debt). In university, I will gain a more prestigious degree I guess and probably better theoretical knowledge, as well as a better social life lol.

Which option is better, in your opinion, and why?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by formatix
Hi guys,

I am at a stage where I have to make a difficult decision and I am hoping that someone here has some experience with this issue.

Currently, I am doing a level 3 apprenticeship as a C# (web) developer. I have applied for UCAS and after I am finished, I will have the choice of university or a level 4 degree apprenticeship.

My long term goal is to work remote as a web/software developer. From a degree apprenticeship I will gain much more (hands-on) experience which is required for most remote jobs and I will also gain a degree (with no debt). In university, I will gain a more prestigious degree I guess and probably better theoretical knowledge, as well as a better social life lol.

Honestly it depends on your preferences. If you are enjoying being in the workplace now and enjoying your line of work and aren't bothered by missing out on the university experience then it makes sense to stay on and do the degree apprenticeship. However if you want the opportunity to study something you love and have the university experience then go for the traditional uni route and get more work experience in the holidays.

As an example, I was always set on going to uni because I'd always been more academically minded and whilst I can't say I liked coursework deadlines I did love reading about topics I found genuinally interested. I'd also had some negative experiences during work experience which had made me keen to delay full time working life and I wanted the opportunity to be around people my own age and the socialness of that.
Original post by jelly1000
Honestly it depends on your preferences. If you are enjoying being in the workplace now and enjoying your line of work and aren't bothered by missing out on the university experience then it makes sense to stay on and do the degree apprenticeship. However if you want the opportunity to study something you love and have the university experience then go for the traditional uni route and get more work experience in the holidays.

As an example, I was always set on going to uni because I'd always been more academically minded and whilst I can't say I liked coursework deadlines I did love reading about topics I found genuinally interested. I'd also had some negative experiences during work experience which had made me keen to delay full time working life and I wanted the opportunity to be around people my own age and the socialness of that.

I think that's an excellent, well balanced answer.

I would also add though that you would need to be confident that you could actually get some work experience, as I know it can be quite tough, even the internships where you work for free!

Also OP, I don't know which Unis you've applied to/will get offers from but the prestige of Uni degree ain't what it used to be. If you haven't already, it would be a good idea research how many people who do your degree actually end up in the field/doing the job you want to do - often it's shockingly low. While Unistats often lacks detail it is a good place to start although you will definitely need to talk to actual graduates, employers and of course the Unis themselves although of course they'll likely paint on overly positive picture. Having said that, I imagine you already have a good idea of how well regarded the Unis are in your particular field especially as that's often more important than the general reputation of the Uni. You probably know but I should point out that even subject specific league tables are not a great indicator - knowing the preferences of a lot of employers is (although the best ones will put a heavy weighting on exactly that).

I don't mean to put a dampener on Uni as I know it can be absolutely brilliant but getting a good job is really difficult so you should be really careful. Generally, the degree apprenticeship will put you in a stronger position. Having said that when you say the degree apprenticeship is level 4 - do you mean some sort of foundation degree as I thought degree apprenticeships were level 6? If it's not a full bachelors degree (with honours) then I'd be wary of being able to get very far in the job (in terms of promotion and doing top quality work) without a top degree. I don't know what the web/software developing sector is like but in science, law, banking, engineering, healthcare etc - a good degree is very often a minimum requirement for the best jobs. If you don't know much about the sector either then you should definitely do some more research.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Corporate Lawyer
I think that's an excellent, well balanced answer.

I would also add though that you would need to be confident that you could actually get some work experience, as I know it can be quite tough, even the internships where you work for free!

Also OP, I don't know which Unis you've applied to/will get offers from but the prestige of Uni degree ain't what it used to be. If you haven't already, it would be a good idea research how many people who do your degree actually end up in the field/doing the job you want to do - often it's shockingly low. While Unistats often lacks detail it is a good place to start although you will definitely need to talk to actual graduates, employers and of course the Unis themselves although of course they'll likely paint on overly positive picture. Having said that, I imagine you already have a good idea of how well regarded the Unis are in your particular field especially as that's often more important than the general reputation of the Uni. You probably know but I should point out that even subject specific league tables are not a great indicator - knowing the preferences of a lot of employers is (although the best ones will put a heavy weighting on exactly that).

I don't mean to put a dampener on Uni as I know it can absolutely brilliant but getting a good job is really difficult so you should be really careful. Generally, the degree apprenticeship will put you in a stronger position. Having said that when you say the degree apprenticeship is level 4 - do you mean some sort of foundation degree as I thought degree apprenticeships were level 6? If it's not a full bachelors degree (with honours) then I'd be wary of being able to get very far in the job (in terms of promotion and doing top quality work) without a top degree. I don't what the web/software developing sector is like but in science, law, banking, engineering, healthcare etc - a good degree is very often a minimum requirement for the best jobs. If you don't know much about the sector either then you should definitely do some more research.

Yeah, I meant a level 6 apprenticeship sorry. Also, my current employer is willing to do a degree apprenticeship with me therefore the searching part is out of the way.

Thanks for the replies btw. It seems like a degree apprenticeship is the best option.
Yeah, I meant a level 6 apprenticeship sorry. Also, my current employer is willing to do a degree apprenticeship with me therefore the searching part is out of the way.

Thanks for the replies btw. It seems like a degree apprenticeship is the best option.

If you like your current employer then I think you're spot on.
Reply 5
Hi guys,

i see you asked this question last year so i assume you have already taken it. if you did take the degree apprenticeship could you help me out on deciding.

could i ask if the amount of work you have to do for you degree is similar to a normal degree.

and also is there enough help from the company (and is it a big or small one cause i got one at a small one) to help you with your degree if ur stuck with it

and for your degree do u have exams and coursework etc .. how is it structured i coudnt find out how it is at MMU where i will be going for it.

thanks for your time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending