The Student Room Group

Functional skills level 2

Hi,

I was just wondering If i were too pass functional skills maths level 2. Would i get a certificate from the examiner/ board, saying I"PASSED"?

You don't get told you got a "C" do you?!.. just a little confused.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Roy101
Hi,

I was just wondering If i were too pass functional skills maths level 2. Would i get a certificate from the examiner/ board, saying I"PASSED"?

You don't get told you got a "C" do you?!.. just a little confused.

Thanks in advance.

You just get a certificate that says you passed functional skills level 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!, did you pass in it? If you don't mind me asking. :smile:
Original post by Roy101

I teach it :smile:
Reply 4
I teach it :smile:

Really?! :biggrin:

I will be doing the city and guilds exam very soon, do you have any tips on what to revise?

I'm finding the language very difficult for example like, in the question in its self :/. Plus, things like numbers/ shapes and measure, I'm finding hard too.

Are there any good websites, that I could use to help me.

Thanks, in advance
Original post by Roy101
Really?! :biggrin:

I will be doing the city and guilds exam very soon, do you have any tips on what to revise?

I'm finding the language very difficult for example like, in the question in its self :/. Plus, things like numbers/ shapes and measure, I'm finding hard too.

Are there any good websites, that I could use to help me.

Thanks, in advance

My recommendation to anyone doing functional skills because they didn't get a C in GCSE maths would be attend a free course from your local adult learning provider or sign up for free support with learn direct. If you are in education then ask your school or college about any support they can offer.

The BBC skillswise site has some good free stuff online if you need help with the basics but isn't so good at level 2 or for last minute exam prep. BKSB provide an online learning system used in a lot of colleges so if you are still in education ask if they have it.

CGP do a fairly cheap revision guide and work book that summarises the maths you need to know very well and gives some practice but it doesn't have exam style questions that match what you will get from city and guilds. There's a very good text book I can recommend if you have time to use it and don't mind the expense.

For level 2 especially you need to get used to the style of exam questions by doing them. The C&G exams are challenging and are sometimes in a context that is unfamiliar to younger students. There is always a question mostly about number and money, a question mostly about measures and usually scale drawings and a third one that is about data and averages. Do question 1 and 3 first, come back to question 3 with whatever time you have left as its always the one students seem to do badly on. If you are struggling with level 2, try level one papers first as they cover many similar topics and will get you used to the language of the assessment. There aren't many practice papers on the the C&G web site. There have been a few changes at level 2 and only a few papers have been created, the older practice papers are still very useful so if you can't get access to them private message me an email that I can send them to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
My recommendation to anyone doing functional skills because they didn't get a C in GCSE maths would be attend a free course from your local adult learning provider or sign up for free support with learn direct. If you are in education then ask your school or college about any support they can offer.

The BBC skillswise site has some good free stuff online if you need help with the basics but isn't so good at level 2 or for last minute exam prep. BKSB provide an online learning system used in a lot of colleges so if you are still in education ask if they have it.

CGP do a fairly cheap revision guide and work book that summarises the maths you need to know very well and gives some practice but it doesn't have exam style questions that match what you will get from city and guilds. There's a very good text book I can recommend if you have time to use it and don't mind the expense.

For level 2 especially you need to get used to the style of exam questions by doing them. The C&G exams are challenging and are sometimes in a context that is unfamiliar to younger students. There is always a question mostly about number and money, a question mostly about measures and usually scale drawings and a third one that is about data and averages. Do question 1 and 3 first, come back to question 3 with whatever time you have left as its always the one students seem to do badly on. If you are struggling with level 2, try level one papers first as they cover many similar topics and will get you used to the language of the assessment. There aren't many practice papers on the the C&G web site. There have been a few changes at level 2 and only a few papers have been created, the older practice papers are still very useful so if you can't get access to them private message me an email that I can send them to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, thanks for that.

What do you mean by "Do question 1 and 3 first, come back to question 3"?
And
If you were to give me the old past papers through email, would It be possible, also, to provide me with the mark scheme too?

Plus how do i private message you?!

Really appreciate all the help.

Thanks.
Original post by Roy101
Hi, thanks for that.

What do you mean by "Do question 1 and 3 first, come back to question 3"?
And
If you were to give me the old past papers through email, would It be possible, also, to provide me with the mark scheme too?

Plus how do i private message you?!

Really appreciate all the help.

Thanks.

Sorry for the typo, My suggestion was that you do question 1 and 3 before you do question 2 last. Q2 is generally about measures and scale drawings and candidates waste ages on it leaving them insufficient time to get the easier marks available in Question 3.

Make sure you know what is required from a scale drawing, there are loads of marks available for trying it even if it's hopelessly wrong. Revise how to summarise data in a table, lots of marks are lost from poorly constructed tables. Make sure you know what is required in a bar chart and line graph and when to use each because again there a lots of marks for getting all the features in (titles, axis labels, scale) even if your data is wrong. Make sure you know how to interpret scatter graphs as these have become very popular. Make sure you can calculate mean and range and can interpret/compare them from two sets of data, revise median and mode as alternative "averages" but you will almost always be able to use the mean.

Click on the envelope icon to send a message or the message tab if you are using the mobile app.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Sorry for the typo, My suggestion was that you do question 1 and 3 before you do question 2 last. Q2 is generally about measures and scale drawings and candidates waste ages on it leaving them insufficient time to get the easier marks available in Question 3.

Make sure you know what is required from a scale drawing, there are loads of marks available for trying it even if it's hopelessly wrong. Revise how to summarise data in a table, lots of marks are lost from poorly constructed tables. Make sure you know what is required in a bar chart and line graph and when to use each because again there a lots of marks for getting all the features in (titles, axis labels, scale) even if your data is wrong. Make sure you know how to interpret scatter graphs as these have become very popular. Make sure you can calculate mean and range and can interpret/compare them from two sets of data, revise median and mode as alternative "averages" but you will almost always be able to use the mean.

Click on the envelope icon to send a message or the message tab if you are using the mobile app.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for all of the help! I will send you an inbox message.
Reply 9
For Functional Skills, the certificate will say Passed for each unit you completed.
There is no letter grade for FS.
Reply 10
Original post by Rita_TLS
For Functional Skills, the certificate will say Passed for each unit you completed.
There is no letter grade for FS.

Thanks
Reply 11
Do you teach it in london? I need a Pass to get in to University and need a lot of help
Reply 12
Can I just apply to take the test? Or do I have to attend a course?...
Reply 13
Original post by Kimijen
Can I just apply to take the test? Or do I have to attend a course?...

You can take the test no need to attend the course. Good luck
Yes, you would get a certificate from your College where you studied or you could request your Mathematics Level 2 Functional skills examination results from Pearson Edexel.
Yes, you will get a certificate from your College on request or you could ring your Maths teacher or you could contact Pearson Edexel as they compiled and marked your Level 2 Functional Skills examination paper!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Roy101
I wrote a few days ago and I'm still awaiting my results. It didn't seem like a good experience to me.
Original post by Dianaminch
Yes, you will get a certificate from your College on request or you could ring your Maths teacher or you could contact Pearson Edexel as they compiled and marked your Level 2 Functional Skills examination paper!

Quick Reply

Latest