The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Geography

I'm struggling to find a good definition/example of how a double spit is formed. Am I right in thinking it is 2 spits travelling towards each other and when they join they form a bar?
Original post by thomasbartlett99
I'm struggling to find a good definition/example of how a double spit is formed. Am I right in thinking it is 2 spits travelling towards each other and when they join they form a bar?

From what I can gather (you're right in that there doesn't seem to be much info out there on double spits!), double spits are generally formed where there are two prevailing wind directions, which cause two spits to build out in opposite directions, such as the double spit at Poole Harbour. However, double spits may also form where an existing bar, which connects two sides of a bay, is breached by a river or storm :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
From what I can gather (you're right in that there doesn't seem to be much info out there on double spits!), double spits are generally formed where there are two prevailing wind directions, which cause two spits to build out in opposite directions, such as the double spit at Poole Harbour. However, double spits may also form where an existing bar, which connects two sides of a bay, is breached by a river or storm :smile:

That's great, thanks for your help!
Original post by thomasbartlett99
That's great, thanks for your help!

You're welcome :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending