The Student Room Group

Independent Student

Hi

I'm applying as a single independent student under 25 for starting uni in September 2017.

I've started the application but haven't completed it as the entry dates aren't available yet.

When it asks for my employer - as proof of independence - it won't accept leaving the end date blank, as I currently still work there. I'm not sure what to put as I don't want student finance contacting my employer, as I can't hand my notice in unless I'm granted independent student status.

Any advice appreciated!
Original post by hkf3456
Hi

I'm applying as a single independent student under 25 for starting uni in September 2017.

I've started the application but haven't completed it as the entry dates aren't available yet.

When it asks for my employer - as proof of independence - it won't accept leaving the end date blank, as I currently still work there. I'm not sure what to put as I don't want student finance contacting my employer, as I can't hand my notice in unless I'm granted independent student status.

Any advice appreciated!

Applications are not yet open for Academic Year 2017/18 - you shouldn't have been able to start your application yet.

If you're going to be over 25 at the start of your course then you don't need to provide your employer details (see last years form http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/ft/sfe_pn1_form_1617_d.pdf Section 7 Qa1 - if you're over 25 at the start of your course then you go straight onto section 8 of the form. Section 8 asks only for UNEARNED income you're expecting during the year you're studying.
Hi hkf3456

Please cancel the application in your online account. You will be able to apply for the 2017-2018 academic year once the applications are open which is expected to be February/march.

Thanks
Reply 3
Hi,

I am in the same situation. I started my student finance application for 2017/18 entry today but also cannot put my current employer down as it is asking for an end date, which I do not have as I will be continuing with this job. I am also an independent student, but will be (just about) under 25 when I start uni in September.

Any advice?

Thanks
Original post by jumblebox
Hi,

I am in the same situation. I started my student finance application for 2017/18 entry today but also cannot put my current employer down as it is asking for an end date, which I do not have as I will be continuing with this job. I am also an independent student, but will be (just about) under 25 when I start uni in September.

Any advice?

Thanks

Hi Jumblebox

Can you please try putting the present date in. We will ask you to send us 3 years worth of evidence by post to show you have been supporting yourself, you can attach a cover not e to this.

Thanks

Quick Reply