The Student Room Group

'Marriage' - are we becoming a tad obsessed?

I'm a very easy-going person but what is all this about?

I have no idea why it is so (seemingly) important - if it be M/M, F/M, F/F or someone wishing to marry a chair...

What's the point?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drez999

I have no idea why it is so (seemingly) important - if it be M/M, F/M, F/F or someone wishing to marry a chair...

What's the point?

Its just to legally show that you want to spend the rest of your lives together. Its done so people don't class you still as Boyfriend/Girlfriend even after 20 years of being together or something. It's also one of the Catholic Sacraments so religious people would want to get all the Sacraments.
Hope This Helps! :smile:
Sometimes relationships lose their spark and people don't feel the same about each other any more. Marriage ensures that you are locked in together and its much more difficult to separate so you are more likely to just accept staying together when that feeling has gone.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Sometimes relationships lose their spark and people don't feel the same about each other any more. Marriage ensures that you are locked in together and its much more difficult to separate so you are more likely to just accept staying together when that feeling has gone.

and this is a good thing why exactly?

The only thing worth trying to maintain a failing relationship for is a child imo.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's just tradition really. You get be called husband and wife. Nothing more.

That being said, I would very much want marriage. :h:
It signifies my ownership of my woman. :smile:
Original post by Hydeman

You don't own anyone :colone: :colone:

Spoiler

Reply 7
Generally for the most part, I don't see the hype in marriage. I don't think it makes your relationship any stronger, doesn't validate your relationship as unbreakable and generally people often get into it for the wrong reasons and/or have an false expectation of what a marriage is and should be.

I believe you can have a fully serious, committed and loving relationship with or without marriage. To me, marriage is a legal bond and a relationship is a personal bond. I'm mainly getting married to my long term partner due to financial security plus I don't keep well with my health and I know my partner has my back and I want him to be my voice when I can't vouch for myself and he can only do that legally if he is my husband.

After all we've been through, I don't need a piece of paper or name change to show he's the love of my life and my companion but we do want the legal rights that we are entitled to since we trust each other with our lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
You don't own anyone :colone: :colone:

Spoiler

You like chemistry only because you get to make the salts you rub in my wounds. :hand:
Original post by Hydeman
You like chemistry only because you get to make the salts you rub in my wounds. :hand:

Well the body is 60% water and I happen to have a little Caesium :flute:

Spoiler

Marriage is very important and so is staying faithful and is becoming less and less serious and that is very sad.
Original post by Spock's Socks
Generally for the most part, I don't see the hype in marriage. I don't think it makes your relationship any stronger, doesn't validate your relationship as unbreakable and generally people often get into it for the wrong reasons and/or have an false expectation of what a marriage is and should be.

I believe you can have a fully serious, committed and loving relationship with or without marriage. To me, marriage is a legal bond and a relationship is a personal bond. I'm mainly getting married to my long term partner due to financial security plus I don't keep well with my health and I know my partner has my back and I want him to be my voice when I can't vouch for myself and he can only do that legally if he is my husband.

After all we've been through, I don't need a piece of paper or name change to show he's the love of my life and my companion but we do want the legal rights that we are entitled to since we trust each other with our lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM :frown: Completely agree!
Original post by Hydeman

Looool god forbid.
Original post by Drez999

What's the point?

Obsessed? It is arguably less important now than it has ever been.

It is a sign of commitment that is officially recognised, that also has legal ramifications. It is important to the people involved because they make that important commitment to each other.
Original post by queen-bee
Looool god forbid.

God forbid I should marry? :sad:
Original post by AperfectBalance
Marriage is very important and so is staying faithful and is becoming less and less serious and that is very sad.

I can't wait to get married! To me it's very important.

IKR,sad times
Original post by Hydeman
God forbid I should marry? :sad:

No don't say that, always think positively habibi And Allah has a plan for us all :heart:
Original post by MagicNMedicine

Lol god forbid I find myself in a loveless marriage which is slowing coming to an end and if so then divorce it is
I can't wait to get married! To me it's very important.

Same. :yep:

No don't say that, always think positively habibi And Allah has a plan for us all :heart:

Thanks! I'd like to think I'll manage it without divine intervention though. :mmm:

Spoiler

Original post by Hydeman
Same. :yep:

Thanks! I'd like to think I'll manage it without divine intervention though. :mmm:

Spoiler

Hahahah inshallah :mmm:

Yes,you're learning :h:

Quick Reply

Latest