The Student Room Group

Cambridge Uni Students Burn Money in Front of Homeless Person

Scroll to see replies

Don't get me wrong I'd love to punch this knobhead right on that chin of his but is it really grounds for kicking him out of uni?
Original post by lopterton
Where are his parents, who were supposed to have the responsibility of raising him?

His mother has indeed commented and allegedly calls the act “thoughtless and cruel”.
Original post by Anfanny
It's only £20 I don't see much harm in this it's quite a good trick to help the homeless man to want money instead of seeing someone who can just burn money. Plus it's funny!

Indeed, we should be thanking Ronald for reminding homeless people what money looks like, even if only briefly.
Original post by Reality Check
I think the comment: "Good luck to Ronald in securing a Training Contract" sums it up'.

If his studies go ok then he wont have any problem getting a TC as long as he shows a bit of contrition to show he has learnt from it. Most people will have forgotten by then.
Original post by JamesN88
Don't get me wrong I'd love to punch this knobhead right on that chin of his but is it really grounds for kicking him out of uni?

Of course it is. He's brought his college and university entirely into disrepute. You make a commitment when you matriculate into the university, and he has broken it. Not only that, but what he has done, combined with the institution he is attending means that there has to be a greater level of scrutiny and, frankly, a decisive response.

I have no doubt he'll be rusticated at a minimum, though whether he will be actually ejected is a different matter. Any sort of Cambridge career is, however, over for him.
It's reached the BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-38931710

They've added this "useful" information:
"The student's formal evening dress, seen in the video, is no longer commonly worn, according to Debrett's"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill

"The student's formal evening dress, seen in the video, is no longer commonly worn, according to Debrett's"

[video="youtube;Cd7tEsAuspA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd7tEsAuspA[/video]

Original post by the bear
hmmmm your English is excellent for a przestępca

you're spouting so much hatred for an 18 year old guy who literally burned a piece of paper in front of someone but at the same time live life so sheltered that you cant fathom knowing people doing illegal stuff. this kinds of **** goes down in every estate/ghetto all over the world, also uk. i bet theres like 20 people at most on this forum that know what its like to live in a poverty stricken neighborhood with heroin needles, 5 drug dealers in a class of 25 people, friends getting stabbed and all that. that makes your self-righteousness even more ridiculous. I could bet a 1000 that this specific homeless man has done more criminal offenses in his lifetime than entire pembroke college combined. you dont know those people. ive had a chance to meet about 30 of them and vast majority are former criminals who got too old to continue their lifestyle and their addictions got ahold of them. they deserve no sympathy. they have craved for that fate themselves thats at least how it is round here where i live and i very much doubt so its any different in cambridge.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by player777
you're spouting so much hatred for an 18 year old guy who literally burned a piece of paper in front of someone but at the same time live life so sheltered that you cant fathom knowing people doing illegal stuff. this kinds of **** goes down in every estate/ghetto all over the world, also uk. i bet theres like 20 people at most on this forum that know whats its like to live in a poverty stricken neighborhood with heroin needles, 5 drug dealers in a class of 25 people, friends getting stabbed and all that. that makes your self-righteousness even more ridiculous. I could bet a 1000 that this specific homeless man has done more criminal offenses in his lifetime than entire pembroke college combined. you dont know those people. ive had a chance to meet about 30 of them and vast majority are former criminals who got too old to continue their lifestyle and their addictions got ahold of them. they deserve no sympathy. they have craved for that fate themselves thats at least how it is round here where i live and i very much doubt so its any different in cambridge.

Koleś nie dusić na kiełbasy :h:
Original post by the bear
Koleś nie dusić na kiełbasy :h:

haha that translation is so ridiculous i spat my coffee out
haha that translation is so ridiculous i spat my coffee out

i hope you didn't spit it on a bezdomny

:h:
Original post by jneill
He could be rusticated.

Anyway I also don't want this going over the top. He did a very stupid thing and (hopefully) is now mortified by what he did.

And now the DM is getting rather unfortunate quotes from his mum. It's all getting somewhat out of hand...

Have you watched the most recent series of Black Mirror...?

Reactions are kinda reminisent of one of the episodes.
Original post by Jamie
Have you watched the most recent series of Black Mirror...?

Reactions are kinda reminisent of one of the episodes.

No that's another "you must have!" thing I've not done. That and not having Netflix.
Original post by 999tigger
Shows him to be a complete arrogant **** He deserves to be sanctioned by the college for bringing its name into disrepute. 250 hours on the homeless shelter/ charity. Apparently he went on the soup run a few days after (not to spot his next targets) to make himself feel better. It wasnt a crime.

Behaving abusively towards someone with intent to cause distress is a crime, under s4a of the Public Order Act 1986.

HAHA what the **** is wrong with you britain is ****ed. I live in Poland and hang out with not the smartest bunch of people who openly brag about throwing fireworks into abandoned homes where squatters sleep or pretending to ask for a change and then pepper spray homeless at bus stops. most people after finding out just laugh it off but in the communist uk i guess that would make me a serial murderer. get a ****ing life we're all ****ing teenagers and do stupid **** after drinking/drugs that does not mean we have some higher hateful agenda behind our actions. funny thing its not the actual estate people who get enraged at this kind of behavior, but socially retarded middle class kids who have never punched anyone in the face. that said despite my 'socially despicable' behavior I always buy a beer to a local homeless man near my school before classes. that does not however make like being rowdy any less.

you're spouting so much hatred for an 18 year old guy who literally burned a piece of paper in front of someone but at the same time live life so sheltered that you cant fathom knowing people doing illegal stuff. this kinds of **** goes down in every estate/ghetto all over the world, also uk. i bet theres like 20 people at most on this forum that know what its like to live in a poverty stricken neighborhood with heroin needles, 5 drug dealers in a class of 25 people, friends getting stabbed and all that. that makes your self-righteousness even more ridiculous. I could bet a 1000 that this specific homeless man has done more criminal offenses in his lifetime than entire pembroke college combined. you dont know those people. ive had a chance to meet about 30 of them and vast majority are former criminals who got too old to continue their lifestyle and their addictions got ahold of them. they deserve no sympathy. they have craved for that fate themselves thats at least how it is round here where i live and i very much doubt so its any different in cambridge.

Am I right to understand that your main propositions are as follows?

1) Physically attacking homeless people for fun is OK.
2) Most homeless people are former criminals and deserve no sympathy.
3) Saying otherwise is "self-righteous".

Throwing fireworks into buildings without the owner's permission is a crime, by the way. And so is pepper-spraying people in unprovoked attacks at bus stops. If what you're saying is accurate then you hang out with criminals, and at the same time you're saying that people whom you call "former criminals" don't deserve any sympathy and it's OK to attack them for fun.

So what if Ronald Coyne is 18? He's legally responsible for his actions. And so what if there aren't many people on this forum who know what it's like to live on an estate strewn with discarded heroin needles? That may well not be true, but even if it was, how would it support your propositions?
(edited 7 years ago)
Behaving abusively towards someone with intent to cause distress is a crime, under s4a of the Public Order Act 1986.

Am I right to understand that your main propositions are as follows?
1) Physically attacking homeless people for fun is OK.
2) Most homeless people are former criminals and deserve no sympathy.
3) Saying otherwise is "self-righteous".

what Im saying is that he is a stupid bloke who has done stupid **** and doesnt deserve the negative attention he gets, especially when people from working class backgrounds tend to be exponentially more cruel when it comes to the homeless. plus homeless people are not some god-chosen noble kind of people who are suffering from any kind of oppression. homelessness in europe is, lets be honest, a lifestyle choice. with some exceptions, vast majority of them have brought it upon themselves and shouldnt be molly cuddled. if someone burned a 20pound note in front of me when asked for a change id laugh it off. the amount of anger with which people react indicates there is a bigger underlying issue pertaining to the class division in the uk. should we really drag some random drunk teenager into that dispute and ruin his life to satisfy our hatred for the rich?

EDIT: i see you conveniently avoided quoting my last post to avoid adding some context to what ive said.
(edited 7 years ago)
wow ur dumb.

I'm "dumb" for saying it's against the law to do this to people in the street, when someone said it wasn't?

what Im saying is that he is a stupid bloke who has done stupid **** and doesnt deserve the negative attention he gets, especially when people from working class backgrounds tend to be exponentially more cruel when it comes to the homeless. plus homeless people are not some god-chosen noble kind of people who are suffering from any kind of oppression. homelessness in europe is, lets be honest, a lifestyle choice. with some exceptions, vast majority of them have brought it upon themselves and shouldnt be molly cuddled. if someone burned a 20pound note in front of me when asked for a change id laugh it off. the amount of anger with which people react indicates there is a bigger underlying issue pertaining to the class division in the uk. should we really drag some random drunk teenager into that dispute and ruin his life to satisfy our hatred for the rich?

I'll tell you something, player777. You call me stupid. You call Ronald Coyne stupid, You call the criminal yobs you associate with stupid too. But you don't seem used to constructing proper arguments and nor have you shown much ability at writing proper English.

I doubt you know what "exponentially" means, but the following statement is utterly ridiculous:

"people from working class backgrounds tend to be exponentially more cruel when it comes to the homeless"

People from working class backgrounds are the majority of the population. It is simply not true to say that most are very cruel to the homeless.

This is ridiculous too:

"homeless people are not some god-chosen noble kind of people who are suffering from any kind of oppression"

I don't think anyone who is not harassing or abusing other people should themselves be harassed or abused in the street. That doesn't mean I am saying any victim of such an attack is "noble" or "not noble". I don't care whether they are "noble" or not.

"homelessness in europe is, lets be honest, a lifestyle choice"

Untrue. But what if it were true? Then it's OK to pepper-spray them? You don't seem interested in arguing for a proposition on the basis of premises. You seem to be spewing out whatever comes into your head. You mention "hate", but you seem to think, when it really comes down to it, that anyone who is better off than another person should be able to abuse and assault them.
(edited 7 years ago)
People on here are bonkers. I blush to think of some of what I got up to at that age, and only thank goodness it wasn't filmed and covered in the papers and I hadn't to account for it to my parents.

A drunk teenaged lad has behaved like a total tit. And so will a thousand more this evening.
One day someone will be burning money in his face when he needs it the most.

never be too cocky I always say, because karma doesn't like cocky people
No I called you dumb because you have totally missed the point of my posts.

Untrue. But what if it were true? Then it's OK to pepper-spray them? You don't seem interested in arguing for a proposition on the basis of premises. You seem to be spewing out whatever comes into your head. You mention "hate", but you seem to think, when it really comes down to it, that anyone who is better off than another person should be able to abuse and assault them.

I havent once said that it is in any way acceptable to treat the homeless as lesser people. All I'm saying is that the cambridge 'posh knob' did nothing wrong and is being treated like a criminal. Its really hard to argue with you when most of what you say about me are your own pre-assumptions. 'ok to pepper spray them' - srs I dont even know how to react to that I really suggest you read my posts once again. I merely said that some people I know did some stuff that is way worse than this story and yet no news agency is making reports about it, and YET I dont think of it as a war crime, no its not okay but ive been pepper sprayed myself few times and I didnt die of it (once again pointing out, no I did not pepper spray anyone myself) .

doubt you know what "exponentially" means, but this statement is utterly ridiculous:

Its called a typo and using a phone keyboard. Really?
Original post by jneill
They've added this "useful" information:

** Rifles frantically through Debrett's 'The Complete Oxbridge Gentleman and Lady: a guide to contemporary styles' for confirmation. **

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending