The Student Room Group

Vice Principal states institutionalised racism doesn't exist in their school district

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yudothis
Motivation matters.

Indeed.

So, what was the motivation behind naming the team "Redskins",in your opinion?
Original post by Mathemagicien
Votes to keep Redskins mascot.

http://woodtv.com/2017/02/08/paw-paw-redskins-mascot-decision/

Isn't "redskins" offensive to Native Americans? Sad!

Only if their told it is.
Original post by joe cooley
Indeed.

Most likely the same way other sports team may name themselves panthers or warriors - to appear fierce. The official story as an honor to the teams Native American coach and players, I don't believe it.

Then there is the more general use of the word red skin. Would you call a mostly black basketball team say Seattle Ni..ers? Probably not, even if you thought it was honoring them. So the question is, is redskin a bad word in itself? Probably not as much as ******, but there are certainly bad connotations to it, and that begs the question, why do you need to name yourself something that some people may find offensive? Tradition? Your "right" to offend?

But hey, I already know your response so I don't know why I even bothered writing something.
Most likely the same way other sports team may name themselves panthers or warriors - to appear fierce. The official story as an honor to the teams Native American coach and players, I don't believe it.

Then there is the more general use of the word red skin. Would you call a mostly black basketball team say Seattle Ni..ers? Probably not, even if you thought it was honoring them. So the question is, is redskin a bad word in itself? Probably not as much as ******, but there are certainly bad connotations to it, and that begs the question, why do you need to name yourself something that some people may find offensive? Tradition? Your "right" to offend?

But hey, I already know your response so I don't know why I even bothered writing something.

Well, i'll go with the 9 in 10 native Americans NOT offended by the name rather than a perpetually offended SJW.

Yeah you're right, i probably should vary the way i respond to empty vitrue signalling.

But contempt seems so apt.
Well, i'll go with the 9 in 10 native Americans NOT offended by the name rather than a perpetually offended SJW.

Yeah you're right, i probably should vary the way i respond to empty vitrue signalling.

But contempt seems so apt.

Yes, that is your perpetual state of mind.

So sad.
Yes, that is your perpetual state of mind.

So sad.

Indeed, you are.
Indeed.

There were called the Redskins because they used to be called the Boston Braves before they groundshared with the Boston Redsox. Hence they adopted the name Redskins to keep the Indian analogy as at the time their coach was a native American (or possibly was pretending to be one) but to fit in with their new surroundings. Only later did they move to Washington.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
Votes to keep Redskins mascot.

http://woodtv.com/2017/02/08/paw-paw-redskins-mascot-decision/

Isn't "redskins" offensive to Native Americans? Sad!

Misleading title is misleading.

This has nothing to do with institutionalised racism in schools

Posted from TSR Mobile
Indeed, you are.

Learn reading comprehension, yours is awful!
Learn reading comprehension, yours is awful!

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending