The Student Room Group

USA vs UK

Where would you prefer to live and why? Do the pros outweigh the cons?

Scroll to see replies

There was another thread on this. It depends on what your priorities are.

I'm British, but live in California. I would not live in most places in the US. I would live in some places in the UK, but, overall, I prefer life here. I may move when I retire, but where will probably be decided more by where my children settle than my preference (which would currently be the Caribbean)
Reply 2
I would say the UK. It's true that every country has its pros and cons, but the USA seems to be unfriendly with inmigrants. Also the American goverment doesn't offer universal medical care and there are some problems like weapons control, etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Alextox
I would say the UK. It's true that every country has its pros and cons, but the USA seems to be unfriendly with inmigrants. Also the American goverment doesn't offer universal medical care and there are some problems like weapons control, etc.

was just about to comment the same thing :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by Kiimii
was just about to comment the same thing :tongue:

Hahahahaha :smile::smile:
Original post by RogerOxon
There was another thread on this. It depends on what your priorities are.

I'm British, but live in California. I would not live in most places in the US. I would live in some places in the UK, but, overall, I prefer life here. I may move when I retire, but where will probably be decided more by where my children settle than my preference (which would currently be the Caribbean)

Roger what's the mood where you are about the Trump presidency so far?
Original post by Alextox
USA seems to be unfriendly with inmigrants.

The UK has recently demonstrated that too IMO, although not as obviously extreme as the moron Trump.

Original post by Alextox
Also the American goverment doesn't offer universal medical care and there are some problems like weapons control, etc.

Agreed. It's a big issue if you want to retire early, without even thinking about how inhumane not giving free preventative health care is. From the headlines, the NHS is having some real issues, which doesn't help with selling the model here.

Original post by 999tigger
Roger what's the mood where you are about the Trump presidency so far?

Calexit!

In general, people hate him, but we don't have a lot of choice but to wait and see. I'm hopeful that his extremes will be reigned-in by the courts and congress.

In general, people hate him, but we don't have a lot of choice but to wait and see. I'm hopeful that his extremes will be reigned-in by the courts and congress.

Its interesting and at least you get updated by Twitter. He did win fair and square. You almost feel like he is campaigning already. You should stay over there imo with the weather. The next election will be fascinating as theres a similar sense of division over here.
Original post by Alextox

*ahem* Canada
Reply 9
Sheffield is the best place in the universe. Barnsley is the second best
Original post by 999tigger
He did win fair and square.

If you ignore claimed Russian interference, yes. If you believe Trump, the election (and everything else) is rigged against him. If he's so convinced that it was not a free and fair election, he shouldn't mind having a rerun with better checks on who is voting.
Original post by coldplasma
*ahem* Canada

Hahahaha. Canada must be a charming country to live. However, I've heard that its Health system is burdened. Is it true?
Reply 12
Unless it's Massachusetts or NY nope. I really want to move to Canada because it's Canada and it's near America for those boring weekends with no plans, I also really want to move to Boston, the sports and general life just seems like something I'd love to be around. I'm not seeing much of a future here in the UK.. things are getting boring and I feel like I'll just be a robot to the economy. The one advantage the UK had was the NHS and opportunities... both are fading and Canada has a good health system while Massachusetts offers free health care so after university I don't see much reason to stay here
If you ignore claimed Russian interference, yes. If you believe Trump, the election (and everything else) is rigged against him. If he's so convinced that it was not a free and fair election, he shouldn't mind having a rerun with better checks on who is voting.

Gosh it really does grate with you. Its all about the ego imo and thats what makes it interesting. A different type of president. If you get to be an autocratic business owner, then I dont see him changing his style. Makes you wonder how much he can attack the courts and how much they will be swayed.
Original post by Alextox
Hahahaha. Canada must be a charming country to live. However, I've heard that its Health system is burdened. Is it true?

You'll hear that about every public health service since the dawn of time. And I'm not sure why you're laughing, Canada is great, especially if you're going to be living in the places like Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, etc.

I totally agree with you
Reply 16
Original post by Alextox

The UK isn't anymore friendly than the USA when it comes to immigrants unless you live in London or an area with heavy immigration. As for healthcare, if you have a job you're covered and many states offer their own subsidised/free healthcare programs and with the state of the NHS which is only going to continue going down you might wanna sign up to Bupa. The only thing I would agree with is weapons control but again, choose a good area and it'll be minimal.
If it were to be the UK it would have to be London, Manchester, Newcastle or Liverpool. There's not much anywhere else.
Original post by coldplasma
You'll hear that about every public health service since the dawn of time. And I'm not sure why you're laughing, Canada is great, especially if you're going to be living in the places like Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, etc.

I am laughing because you say Canada as an option while the thread was only about the UK and the USA. I hope that you wouldn't take that in offence, if so I apologize
Original post by Alextox
I am laughing because you say Canada as an option while the thread was only about the UK and the USA. I hope that you wouldn't take that in offence, if so I apologize

Ah, I must've forgot about that when I made my reply. At any rate, I still think it's pertinent, since Canada is very much like the USA except without the really bad things, but also without the variety.

Quick Reply

Latest