The Student Room Group

Funding for Dance courses

Hi,
I'd like some advice about funding for my daughter who is currently auditioning for the equivalent of A Level at various ballet/dance/performing arts schools. Each of these seem to have a different cost for their courses. Some are degree level for example. Would you please let me know if there is any opportunity for her to apply for student loans and maintenance grants for this type of course. She is auditioning for schools such as The Royal Ballet School, English National Ballet School, Tring Park School for the Performing Arts, Rambert, Ballet West, Italia Conti, Central School of Ballet. Any advise would be gratefully received.

I am aware of the DADA funding options, but would like to know if there is any other option if the schools don't offer this.

Kind regards,
Cathie George (Ms)
Original post by CathieLive
Hi,
I'd like some advice about funding for my daughter who is currently auditioning for the equivalent of A Level at various ballet/dance/performing arts schools. Each of these seem to have a different cost for their courses. Some are degree level for example. Would you please let me know if there is any opportunity for her to apply for student loans and maintenance grants for this type of course. She is auditioning for schools such as The Royal Ballet School, English National Ballet School, Tring Park School for the Performing Arts, Rambert, Ballet West, Italia Conti, Central School of Ballet. Any advise would be gratefully received.

I am aware of the DADA funding options, but would like to know if there is any other option if the schools don't offer this.

Kind regards,
Cathie George (Ms)

Please ignore the rude poster above - not everyone on TSR is as ill mannered or ignorant.

I'm afraid dance schools funding aren't something I know a lot about personally. There may well be grants available from charitable trusts: https://grants-search.turn2us.org.uk/?_ga=1.252992713.1132799637.1486562666

Each school/college should be able to give you detailed information on their fees and funding eligibility.

@ageshallnot I know you know a lot about drama schools - do you have any good sources of info on dance schools?
I'm just going to tag in some other dance applicants from previous years as well to see if they can be any help

@Cole21
@rubysg
@LucyMConnor
@georgialennon
@HJayy
@Rachel_1997
@helenmike
@ImNic97
Original post by PQ

@ageshallnot I know you know a lot about drama schools - do you have any good sources of info on dance schools?

No, nothing I'm afraid.
Reply 4
Thank you for restoring my faith in this platform and for your helpful comments. I'll check out the links you suggest. I must admit, the first response I had was quite hurtful and totally unnecessary, so thanks for turning that around.

Cheers,
Cathie
Hello. I was a professional dancer at the Moulin Rouge in Paris and trained at Northern Ballet School Manchester and Urdang Academy full time from the age of 16. If you join the Ballet Forum, www.balletcoforum.com you will find a wealth of information from very knowledgeable people on there. Especially in the Doing Dance section, which is all about training, funding, etc.
Reply 6
Original post by markova21
Hello. I was a professional dancer at the Moulin Rouge in Paris and trained at Northern Ballet School Manchester and Urdang Academy full time from the age of 16. If you join the Ballet Forum, www.balletcoforum.com you will find a wealth of information from very knowledgeable people on there. Especially in the Doing Dance section, which is all about training, funding, etc.

Thanks so much for your help. My daughter had had an offer from Northern Ballet, Ballet West & Tring Park so far. She's an associate at Tring Park so we're really hoping to get the funding that's available for that course but need to be prepared in case she doesn't. I'll check out the forum you've suggested. I truly appreciate all this help. Thanks so much.
Cheers,
Cathie
Thanks so much for your help. My daughter had had an offer from Northern Ballet, Ballet West & Tring Park so far. She's an associate at Tring Park so we're really hoping to get the funding that's available for that course but need to be prepared in case she doesn't. I'll check out the forum you've suggested. I truly appreciate all this help. Thanks so much.
Cheers,
Cathie

No worries. You can join as a guest and just read everything before committing yourself and joining in to the debates etc. But it really is a wonderful Forum. I go on it every day, and the Doing Dance is by far the most popular section. Most people on there are the parents[mothers] of children who dance. I don't have a dancing child, but it's great following people's journeys over the years.
Cheers,
Cathie

You might also want to check whether there are any local educational/ grant giving charitable trusts in your area and ofc the schools themselves should have scholarships and bursaries you can apply for..

I didnt see the person who was rude to you, juts ignore them. You seem to have got some valuable advice since.
https://www.gov.uk/dance-drama-awards
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
You might also want to check whether there are any local educational/ grant giving charitable trusts in your area and ofc the schools themselves should have scholarships and bursaries you can apply for..

I didnt see the person who was rude to you, juts ignore them. You seem to have got some valuable advice since.
https://www.gov.uk/dance-drama-awards

Thank you for you kind words and advice. I'll do a bit more local research to see what's around. Unfortunately the one school that my daughter would love to go to, and has had an offer from, isn't offering the DADA funding this year, an admin error apparently. They are still offering scholarships as such but not sure how many, so think there might not be as many. Will just have to keep our fingers crossed.
Cheers!
Thank you for you kind words and advice. I'll do a bit more local research to see what's around. Unfortunately the one school that my daughter would love to go to, and has had an offer from, isn't offering the DADA funding this year, an admin error apparently. They are still offering scholarships as such but not sure how many, so think there might not be as many. Will just have to keep our fingers crossed.
Cheers!

Lots of people on the Balletco Forum are also talking about the DADA cock up this year. It's affected quite a few.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending