The Student Room Group

Muslims currently at uni, what is your honest opinion of the culture?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AishaGirl
I play csgo and overwatch, do you play these games?

CSGO I do. Overwatch not so much. I'd say not being caught up in that trend might have been the biggest issue for me so far. :tongue:

Mostly into games like civilization 6 (there's a sale on steam this weekend) and GTA online. At the moment I'm playing through Bloodboune because I own a ps4 so I might as well play the good things about it. XD
Original post by SomeGuyHere
CSGO I do

Overwatch is a lot of fun :biggrin: I looked at the Civ games but I never played any of them and I'm not a major fan of turn based games.

So how many £££ have you thrown down the loo trying to get some cool skins? haha.
Original post by BasedPerson

My argument was that women are less happy in the West despite attaining more rights. Here is the study I posted:

To try to explain tiny differences of such an arbitrary and subjective thing as 'happiness' (whatever that means, scientifically, speaking) as being related to women's increased rights (and what significant changes have there been to women's rights since 1975 is ridiculous.

Why is it not related to the vast increase in women both working and looking after children or aged parents, for instance?
Overwatch is a lot of fun :biggrin: I looked at the Civ games but I never played any of them and I'm not a major fan of turn based games.

So how many £££ have you thrown down the loo trying to get some cool skins? haha.

Turn based games aren't for everyone. What originally got me into programming was modding Civ 4 so the series holds a very special place in my heart.

You never ask how much money someone has spent on such a game. :O

Although I did have a fully time job the last time I spent any money on it. :tongue:
Reply 264
you'll be fine. it's not as though every student in uni is a party animal. plus, in most uni accommodation, there's a option to pick 'preferences', i.e there's a match making system to match you up to students of similar interest (though its not always guaranteed, like in my case lol). in my halls, most people just host pres at their flat in the evening for a few hrs before going out somewhere - and i'm one of the few non-white and non-christian people out of the several hundred people in the building.
I mean we are talking about a different study and topic altogether.

So you don't deny that the UK study of religious effect on happiness basically shows a tiny marginal uplift. So tiny (1.5%) that it would not be noticeable and, for the "no religion" cohort, probably not something that would attract them to religion.

Thank you for proving my point.

Btw, you still haven't refuted the study which I posted. It has nothing to do with "muhh Western culture is superior." You're giving me non-arguments

https://www.law.yale.edu/system/files/documents/pdf/Intellectual_Life/Stevenson_ParadoxDecliningFemaleHappiness_Dec08.pdf

I posted it for you again. Unless you think Stevenson & Wolfers are promoting a secret Islamist intellectual jihad, you have no argument against me.

My argument: Women less happy despite attaining more rights in the West.

Am I wrong? No.

How much less happy? EU Men and Women saying they are "Very Happy" are very very similar? The dashed top line.

1486751312701.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
There will always be people in life who disagree with you. As long as you're happy and not hurting anyone, do what you have to do.
Original post by jneill

EU looks like the Men and Women are very very similar?

Quite. Which was predicted by the study I quoted which said that the increase in happiness for religious people does not happen in non-religious countries. In the west only the USA and, perhaps, Greece, Italy, Poland, Serbia and Bosnia can really be said to be religious countries. Even Ireland isn't all that religious. And, apart from the USA, religiosity is declining rapidly.
Original post by TheProphetsPath
No, i am mortal and so is everyone. However my soul is eternal, that's not why i know islam is the truth though. There are many reasons and signs which are all around us, reading the Quran (sincerely) is a sign itself. If you haven't, then you should try.
That's the thing, wouldn't Hitler say the same thing? People genuinely think certain acts are ethically okay, Hitler thought Jewish people weren't deserving of living in this world and he thought the right thing to do, for everyone, would have them exterminated. In his mind he was a good person and was doing the world a favour and so; he could say the same thing as he believes he didn't do anything immoral.
You say immoral things are things like killing or harming people, but how so? Who says? there is no way to say that them things are immoral especially if someone thinks they're a means to do the world a favour.
There are other meanings to life than to just be what each of us define as a 'good person'. And what is the need to live as a good person if you will have no repercussions in the afterlife for any bad you do?

I've read the Quran, if anything it just emphasised how nonsensical and untrue Islam is.

Well yes, morality is subjective. Invoking God to make your morality more objective doesn't really solve the issue as it just gives rise to the Euthyphro Dilemma. Is what is moral, moral just because God says it is (something he has arbitrarily chosen), or is it moral regardless of what God thinks?

If you choose the former then the morality he has chosen is no less subjective than ours, you would just be treating it as objective because of his authority. And if you choose the latter then you are admitting that there is a moral code independent of God.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't see why the fridge is a problem. Ham and bacon, just like most foods, would obviously be in packages and not just lying around the fridge touching other food.

There will also likely be males on your course who you will have to work with, this in and of itself isn't fitnah. Being able to appropriately and healthily interact with the opposite sex is an important life skill, and contrary to what many Muslims say, doing so will not necessarily make the relationship sexual or awkward.
This thread though :toofunny: :toofunny:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I've read the Quran, if anything it just emphasised how nonsensical and untrue Islam is.

Well yes, morality is subjective. Invoking God to make your morality more objective doesn't really solve the issue as it just gives rise to the Euthyphro Dilemma. Is what is moral, moral just because God says it is (something he has arbitrarily chosen), or is it moral regardless of what God thinks?

If you choose the former then the morality he has chosen is no less subjective than ours, you would just be treating it as objective because of his authority. And if you choose the latter then you are admitting that there is a moral code independent of God.

Not to forget, aside with the unsubstantiated nature of their deity, the morality of Muslim apologists/religionists are nothing more than subjective rulings (developed by peoples of a bygone era and then set in stone) and masqueraded around as 'objective' and even then rival sects and religionists will differ on what this 'objective' ruling/morality is, with some appearing to modify it as time passes and new problematic issues/information arises. Though it must be said, subjective does not necessarily mean arbitrary or irrational.
Original post by RedManc
I would mind if a muslim was in my hall, as long as they don't pray out loud, and if they buy their food. I don't eat halal meat. I wouldn't mind eating kosher because it doesn't have a prayer

you do know kosher is more halal than halal meat lmao

muslims can eat kosher but jews can't eat halal because kosher is done with even more "ritual" than halal meat...
Original post by medhelp
you do know kosher is more halal than halal meat lmao

muslims can eat kosher but jews can't eat halal because kosher is done with even more "ritual" than halal meat...

I know it is, but kosher doesn't have a prayer.
Indeed, but you know, for some religious people it just defies belief how those who don't believe in God can come to the rational conclusion that it's more pleasant and helpful to be nice to people, share and cooperate :rolleyes:
Muslims would pray in the privacy of their bedroom and it's a quiet act, I'm sure you would not be disturbed.

Maybe there's confusion about praying and broadcasting the call to prayer through a large loudspeaker system?
Indeed, but you know, for some religious people it just defies belief how those who don't believe in God can come to the rational conclusion that it's more pleasant and helpful to be nice to people, share and cooperate :rolleyes:

True, it's quite infantile. Though I guess some people just need such religions (and it's fantastical offerings of rewards and threats) to coerce them to be humane, empathetic, peaceful and cooperative - though one would not be in the wrong to question their ability to be humane, empathetic, peaceful, cooperative, rational etc in light of many of the various harmful and nonsensical beliefs and rulings of their religions - sometimes practiced in Muslim majority countries and particularly in self proclaimed "Islamic" States.
K word hard R.
it is not smart making a thread like this since the negative responses about the culture will trigger everyone and cause a **** storm.
I don't see why the fridge is a problem. Ham and bacon, just like most foods, would obviously be in packages and not just lying around the fridge touching other food.

There will also likely be males on your course who you will have to work with, this in and of itself isn't fitnah. Being able to appropriately and healthily interact with the opposite sex is an important life skill, and contrary to what many Muslims say, doing so will not necessarily make the relationship sexual or awkward.

I am a Muslim and I completely agree with this. OP is just being incredibly paranoid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending