The Student Room Group

I'm a Landlord - AMA

Whether or not we Landlords are human(e), do we really care about our tenants? Whatever, fire away.

Yes your rent money does pay for our nice cars.
What would you say are your top tips for first-time renters (usually in their 2nd/3rd year of Uni)?

I know that taking pictures of the place beforehand, paying only a deposit and not an extra 'holding' fee and making sure my basic living conditions are met are some of the things to keep in mind, but any others? :smile:
Reply 2
How do you sleep at night?
do people think you run a pub when you say that ?
How does man cope when roadman gets bare hard for his deposit back?
Which is the best game in the Heroes of Might and Magic / Might & Magic: Heroes franchise?
I remember my first beer ...property.
Original post by NX172
Yes your rent money does pay for our nice cars.

How very vulgar. It might buy 'nice cars' but there are some things it can never buy.
Original post by Reality Check
How very vulgar. It might buy 'nice cars' but there are some things it can never buy.

Gratz on the community assistant! How recent is that?
Reply 9
Original post by BrainyBengali
What would you say are your top tips for first-time renters (usually in their 2nd/3rd year of Uni)?

I know that taking pictures of the place beforehand, paying only a deposit and not an extra 'holding' fee and making sure my basic living conditions are met are some of the things to keep in mind, but any others? :smile:

Make sure you find out about the other tenants, I guess. I've had people on the verge of calling the police after domestic disputes started over unwashed dishes.

Also, understand what type of contract you are signing. Is it a Lodger agreement / AST / Joint Tenancy, etc. Read everything carefully. The type of contract determines your rights and obligations.
I've had people thinking they can walk out of a contract with a month's notice on an AST prior to the 6 month term.

Check if there's a break clause in the contract. Circumstances change. If you can no longer afford the apartment or room, you should know when is the soonest you can get out.

Original post by zayn008
How do you sleep at night?

Usually on my left side facing the wall, weeping.

Original post by the bear
do people think you run a pub when you say that ?

I haven't actually had anyone tell me that! I'm a thin Chinese guy with long hair. Probably not your typical pub landlord.

Original post by tyler bentham
How does man cope when roadman gets bare hard for his deposit back?

I don't even - what that means?

Original post by AngryJellyfish
Which is the best game in the Heroes of Might and Magic / Might & Magic: Heroes franchise?

2 or 3.

Original post by Reality Check

Hmm... like what? It's been doing me well so far.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hezzlington
Gratz on the community assistant! How recent is that?

Thanks! Very recent - it's a testament to my TSR addiction.
Original post by NX172
2 or 3.

After several months of posting the same question in various AMAs, often being ignored, I have found someone who knows what they're talking about. :five:

I shall depart, in search of a new question to ask in future AMAs. :moon:
Reply 12
After several months of posting the same question in various AMAs, often being ignored, I have found someone who knows what they're talking about. :five:

That's a shame. Do hang around. Unrelated nerdy questions are good too.

I think 'what did you have for breakfast' is a popular choice. It's surprisingly unanswered in most AMAs
How old are you?
When did you buy your first property?
How much do you arm in total per year?
What job do you do?
Reply 15
Original post by biglad2k16
How old are you?
When did you buy your first property?
How much do you arm in total per year?
What job do you do?

- I'm 25
- I bought my first property when I was 22. This was a 2 bed house in Bristol, my hometown.
- Around 80,000 per year Not counting investment income from trading and capital gains. (Which vary quite a lot. But capital gains are around 130,000 this year.)
- I'm a Software Engineer working in London for a household name.

Did you ever play M&M: Clash of Heroes? That game was the business back in the day. Apparently it's still got a fairly decent following on PC, but the Xbox servers are rather desolate these days :sad:
Original post by Drunk Punx
Did you ever play M&M: Clash of Heroes? That game was the business back in the day. Apparently it's still got a fairly decent following on PC, but the Xbox servers are rather desolate these days :sad:

I haven't. Didn't realize it had any ports outside of the Nintendo DS. I'll look into the PC version!
I haven't. Didn't realize it had any ports outside of the Nintendo DS. I'll look into the PC version!

I've only played on the Xbox version, so don't take my word as gospel :tongue:

My mate told me that the PC version is still fairly alive, blame him if it's not :lol:
Have you experienced/met any weird renters? If yes what happened?

Quick Reply

Latest