The Student Room Group

Metallic bonding

Hi, I am wondering which versions of the metallic bonding is correct of magnesium, the left one or the right?

metallic bond.png
Thanks
Reply 1
I searched the metallic bonding structure of Mg up but only found the ones with only the + sign in the circle but Mg2+ ion has a 2+ charge though. Thanks
Reply 2
I prefer the one on the right.
Reply 3
Original post by coconut64
Hi, I am wondering which versions of the metallic bonding is correct of magnesium, the left one or the right?

metallic bond.png
Thanks

Ideally, they should have 12 electrons since each Mg2+ ion deposits two electrons into the sea of delocalised electrons. Otherwise, the right is the better choice.
Reply 4
Here is the mark scheme, I am assuming that my diagram on the right is more preferable according to this? xx.png I can't judge. Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by h3rmit
Ideally, they should have 12 electrons since each Mg2+ ion deposits two electrons into the sea of delocalised electrons. Otherwise, the right is the better choice.

I didn't know that, thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by coconut64
Here is the mark scheme, I am assuming that my diagram on the right is more preferable according to this? xx.png I can't judge. Thanks

Given they allow the more specifc Mg2+, there doesn't seem to be a preference. Getting used to drawing the less simplified version is probably also a better habit, in scenarios where you have to consider alloys Edit: but the last time I remember doing that was at GCSE, so eh. Still draw the specific ions though.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest