The Student Room Group

What age would you let your children...?

1...Wear makeup?
2... Own a technological device?
3... Get their ears pierced?

Scroll to see replies

2. as soon as they could use one.
3.Never their choice after 18
Reply 2
1. Whenever they wanted. Makeup can serve a variety of use cases.
2. Whenever they wanted. I'm a Programmer, I'd be keen to get them tech savvy as soon as possible.
3. Not too bothered, ask mom.
Reply 3
1) depends, if their skin looks bad I might say 12-13 or else they'd get bullied otherwise 16
2) again it depends, I wouldn't let them have a phone till at least 12-13, they could use one at home but not own it as in freedom to use it as they like, same goes for a laptop.
3) whenever my wife says it's okay! I'm not bothered by that one
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by harlowberry
1...Wear makeup?

1. Girls: I'd let them wear eyeliner/kohl at whatever age. No foundation until 18 I think if they eat right their skin will be MUCH better off without foundation. Might let them wear mineral foundation at 16.

Boys: none lol.

2. phone: Year 7 so around 12.
laptop: 17/18 around uni, they can use a desktop before lol .

3. whatever age they want.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
I do not want children in the first place :rofl:

Might as well answer, though :wink:

1. 14-15 (whenever they start high school).
2. 6-7 (whenever they start school) and it would probably be a Nokia 3310.
3. I would probably get their ears pierced as toddlers so they do not have to deal with that pain later. 18 for any additional piercings.
(edited 7 years ago)
Depends on too much for me to make a decision until the time comes
1) 13

2) 9-12 = Non-smart phone
13+ = smart phone

3) 15 (only for studs or small earrings not like huge extenders or anything, modest stuff)
Reply 8
1...Wear makeup?

13. Can't have her ostracized for having spots.
13. I don't think children should have them.
18. Do whatever they want then, i'd rather they did not.
Reply 9
For me...
1. 16
2. 11/12 years old (when they start secondary school)
3. 11
1. Start of secondary school.
2. Preteen probably with the exception of a handheld games console or a basic eReader. I don't understand why kids get phones and tablets so young these days.
3. Whenever they want them done.
Reply 11
I don't know, I can't look after myself let alone look after children
Reply 12
Original post by sinfonietta
1. Start of secondary school.
2. Preteen probably with the exception of a handheld games console or a basic eReader. I don't understand why kids get phones and tablets so young these days.
3. Whenever they want them done.

Key for me is it being offline. I could give a child a gameboy, not an Xbox or anything though.
1...Wear makeup?

Hmm god knows.
Probably after 12/13.
95% chance this will change

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
1. Start of Secondary
2. Start of Secondary
3. Start of College
1. 12/13.
2. Laptop as soon as they could use one (it would be kept out of their reach and their use of it would be supervised until I judged them mature enough to be trusted on their own with it, though). I might get them a Raspberry Pi or something like that when they were young to teach them to code as well, though again it would be out of their reach and used with supervision. Phone I'd get them a basic, non-smart one at about 9 or 10 so that they could contact me/make an emergency call if needed, and a smartphone at 13. Anything else probably about 14/15, would depend on their maturity level though.
3. It would depend on their maturity level and when I judged them to be capable of making a sensible, rational decision about something that would affect their body for life, but it would be during their teens.
Reply 16
1...Wear makeup?

1) 18+ (only for full on daily makeup use) I know it sounds harsh but kids don't need makeup. Also I want my child growing up comfortable in their skin, not developing a dependency on makeup. If they want to wear it when they're older that's fine and upto them.
2) Depends what the device is. I'd rather them not get a phone until they're in secondary school (only because all the other kids will have one). A child should be out playing in the garden and being active, not addicted to virtual reality...I sound old lol.
3) Soon as possible. I had my ears pieced as a baby and it made my life so much easier. Don't remember the pain/healing etc. Can't imagine the stress of getting it done now.
1...Wear makeup?

1. 13+
2. Depends on the device but if it was a phone i'd say 12+
3. Dont mind- this applies to all ears and nose piercings.
1. 16
2. 13
3. 16

I can't stand it how parents allow their children wear a cake load of makeup at such a young age. It makes the children look terrible and doesn't make them look smart at all.

I also think that technology is a detriment to childhood. How can you create fun memories by doing that?
1...Wear makeup?

1. 17, will only allow mascara at age 14 onwards
2. 12
3. Personally 16, but Missus is in charge here

Quick Reply

Latest