The Student Room Group

Which decade was better in terms of music. The 90's or the 00's.

This poll is closed

Which decade was better in terms of music. The 90's or the 00's

90's 38%
00's62%
Total votes: 21
I prefer the 00's music, although I do like some 90's songs.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Oh that's tough… id probably say 00's because I grew up with it and have more of it, I love 90's music and can see it's influence on most of the 00's music I like but for me 00's is much better but i wouldn't say the 90's music was bad at all it layered the groundwork. If you asked me in terms of artists/bands (when they came out) 90's defo had the best debuts.
90% of music i like is >00s
90's.
A ton of more recent songs are just pure trash, i cannot remember the last time i listened to a new song and went "this is good" Music has hit rock bottom
Reply 5
Original post by zayn008
Oh that's tough… id probably say 00's because I grew up with it and have more of it, I love 90's music and can see it's influence on most of the 00's music I like but for me 00's is much better but i wouldn't say the 90's music was bad at all it layered the groundwork. If you asked me in terms of artists/bands (when they came out) 90's defo had the best debuts.

I 100% agree with you, the 90's left a base for the 00's. The 00's was the best decade for music
Reply 6
Original post by RedManc
I 100% agree with you, the 90's left a base for the 00's. The 00's was the best decade for music

Yeah it was also nice to see those bands, artists, producers come out in the 90's with good stuff but get better in the 00's and (sadly) hit their peak, I find nowadays most new musicians come out with something great then go downhill. Like The Strokes, Justin Timberlake, Britney, Beyoncé, JLo, Black eyed peas (didn't get big till 03), Green Day, I could go on… there's just something about songs from the 00's that I love, tbh I choose music from the 1960s over today's.
Reply 7
Original post by markovchain17
90% of music i like is >00s

Same.
ooh toughie, asian music from 00s I liked vs 90s ; western from 90s-early 00s is better than most 00s
Reply 9
Original post by zayn008
Yeah it was also nice to see those bands, artists, producers come out in the 90's with good stuff but get better in the 00's and (sadly) hit their peak, I find nowadays most new musicians come out with something great then go downhill. Like The Strokes, Justin Timberlake, Britney, Beyoncé, JLo, Black eyed peas (didn't get big till 03), Green Day, I could go on… there's just something about songs from the 00's that I love, tbh I choose music from the 1960s over today's.

I hate 60's music. It had too much pop. I prefer 70's and 90's and 00's alternative, indie, or soft rock.
Reply 10
Original post by AperfectBalance
90's.
A ton of more recent songs are just pure trash, i cannot remember the last time i listened to a new song and went "this is good" Music has hit rock bottom

I agree. I think music started to go bad from between 2008 and 2011
Reply 11
Original post by Mathemagicien
I personally prefer the 1800s music to 1790s.

I meant 1990's to 2000's
Reply 12
Original post by RedManc
I hate 60's music. It had too much pop. I prefer 70's and 90's and 00's alternative, indie, or soft rock.

Yeah it's not the best but it's certainly better than what we've got today :tongue: Most my library is late 70's - 2012, you won't find anything from 2017 and barely stuff from 12-16
Reply 13
Original post by zayn008
Yeah it's not the best but it's certainly better than what we've got today :tongue: Most my library is late 70's - 2012, you won't find anything from 2017 and barely stuff from 12-16

Same. I'd prefer music from the 20's than the music today. Then again, I do like jazz.
Reply 14
Original post by RedManc
Same. I'd prefer music from the 20's than the music today. Then again, I do like jazz.

Really? Me too, i love jazz

Also saw you like Alternative, soft rock and indie.. I'd love to see a playlist from you, I think I'd like it
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by zayn008
Really? Me too, i love jazz

There is something about jazz which makes it so good.
What are you using as a base for this? Grunge was better in the 90s, but I'd argue that black metal is better today (you can't argue with the classics, but the atmospheric BM scene has really picked up in recent years).

90's.

Diversify the genres you listen to. I listened to an album that was released a week or two ago, ****ing loved it. Of course, it helped massively that the album was written by a dude who used to play in a kickass band back in the 90s, but that's by the by; point is, if you think that the music being released these days is ****, the problem is the genre of music you're listening to instead of the music itself.

I'll give you an example: pop music? That's been going downhill since the 90s, and it's likely that the only reason I think it was better back then than it is now is because of nostalgia. But stoner rock? **** man, that's been on the up and up for the past few years.

So diversify. Throw yourself out there and listen to some new ****.
90's.

Absolute rubbish.

If you bother to make more effort than casually tossing on Radio 1 there is a tonne of brilliant new music to be heard and what with the internet it is so easy to listen to.
Reply 18
Original post by Drunk Punx
What are you using as a base for this? Grunge was better in the 90s, but I'd argue that black metal is better today (you can't argue with the classics, but the atmospheric BM scene has really picked up in recent years).

Diversify the genres you listen to. I listened to an album that was released a week or two ago, ****ing loved it. Of course, it helped massively that the album was written by a dude who used to play in a kickass band back in the 90s, but that's by the by; point is, if you think that the music being released these days is ****, the problem is the genre of music you're listening to instead of the music itself.

I'll give you an example: pop music? That's been going downhill since the 90s, and it's likely that the only reason I think it was better back then than it is now is because of nostalgia. But stoner rock? **** man, that's been on the up and up for the past few years.

So diversify. Throw yourself out there and listen to some new ****.

Black metal isn't exactly a huge part of the music scene so if it's doing good or bad is like me saying the local corner shop in some place in Syria is still selling more bread than ever, all is good in the economy!

That's not the issue for me tho, whenever I come across new stuff I love I'll look at the date and it'll be quite old, check up their latest work and it's boring…
Original post by mojojojo101
Absolute rubbish.

If you bother to make more effort than casually tossing on Radio 1 there is a tonne of brilliant new music to be heard and what with the internet it is so easy to listen to.

I have, I have listened to the charts to random playlists to the radio and to "hipster indie" music very few is even close to being good

Quick Reply

Latest