The Student Room Group

I'm 24 and I earn £50k a year AMA

I used to use this site back when I was doing A Levels and applying for uni and for graduate schemes and it helped me a LOT! Now I want to inspire and let you guys know that if you work hard and prepare in advance you can get that life you want.

I graduated with a degree in Accounting and Finance from a Russell Group uni and now I'm working in a product control role at a major investment bank. I love my job and find it interesting and stimulating. I wake up every day and I know that there will be new challenges to overcome, new problems to solve and great people to work with. I want to help you and inspire you to achieve your dreams, whatever that might be.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sharif92
I used to use this site back when I was doing A Levels and applying for uni and for graduate schemes and it helped me a LOT! Now I want to inspire and let you guys know that if you work hard and prepare in advance you can get that life you want.

I graduated with a degree in Accounting and Finance from a Russell Group uni and now I'm working in a product control role at a major investment bank. I love my job and find it interesting and stimulating. I wake up every day and I know that there will be new challenges to overcome, new problems to solve and great people to work with. I want to help you and inspire you to achieve your dreams, whatever that might be.

Congrats!

What work experience did you do at Uni to secure the job position?
What a-levels did you get?
Do you think lime or lemon is better in a gin and tonic?
Reply 3
Thank you, I got AAB. I took part in societies at my university and was part of the committee in one of them. I also did volunteering for a few good causes and did an internship at an investment bank, which I managed to convert into a place on their graduate scheme after performing well.

Congrats, having fun with the auditors at the moment?
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
Do you think lime or lemon is better in a gin and tonic?

I don't drink alcohol so I wouldn't know! Haha
A few questions
1) if you don't mind me asking, which uni?
2) did you have any experience before you got the job?
3) how long have you been working there? What was your starting salary?
4) I presume you are working in London, if you're not from London, are you renting? If so did you find it difficult to be able to rent in London?
And finally how much do you expect to be on in 5 years?
Thanks in advance
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by natninja
Congrats, having fun with the auditors at the moment?

I'm not a huge fan of them! Luckily they pester the Managing Directors more and leave us alone. I respect the work they do though.
Reply 8
How?

Teach us how to earn that much at 24, sensei!

Or is you working for a bank the reason why you earn so much at the age of 24?
What university did you go to where do you work what hours do you work and are there a lot of hot women there?
I'm not a huge fan of them! Luckily they pester the Managing Directors more and leave us alone. I respect the work they do though.

Yeah, the product controller at one of my clients hates me at the moment... I think I've called her about stuff several times a day last week... I apologise on behalf of all auditors for the extra work we generate
Reply 11

Too bad 50k doesn't get you the life you want in London (at all).
Reply 12
Original post by Hanaan999
A few questions
1) if you don't mind me asking, which uni?
2) did you have any experience before you got the job?
3) how long have you been working there? What was your starting salary?
4) I presume you are working in London, if you're not from London, are you renting? If so did you find it difficult to be able to rent in London?
And finally how much do you expect to be on in 5 years?
Thanks in advance
Posted from TSR Mobile

1) Inprefer not to say what uni as it could reveal my identity. But it's not a top top uni, although it is in the Russell Group list of unis.
2) Yes, I did an internship.
3) I have been working there for three years. I was earning £30k plus a small bonus.
4) I rent a flat with three flat mates who I knew from uni. The rent is quite low since we're sharing so I'm not finding it difficult.

I'm hoping to be promoted to a Vice President level in five years, which can push up my total compensation to near six figures.
Thank you, I got AAB. I took part in societies at my university and was part of the committee in one of them. I also did volunteering for a few good causes and did an internship at an investment bank, which I managed to convert into a place on their graduate scheme after performing well.

That's awesome, thank you for answering :smile:

I wake up every day and I know that there will be new challenges to overcome, new problems to solve and great people to work with.

I can't think of anything worse.

Which is why I am ****ed.
How many hours do you work typically per day? And the worst part about your job?
Congratulations on your achievements.
I'm 22 years old and things didn't go well in University.
I am now actively looking for an apprenticeship.
Would you recommend an apprenticeship in Customer Service or Business Administration?
I prefer Customer Service because Business Administration is a good area but it is not a physical job, as it is being stuck in an office all day. Do you think I can get far in life if I do an apprenticeship in Customer Service or would you recommend Business Administration? Your opinion please?
Your help is appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Michiyo
How?

Teach us how to earn that much at 24, sensei!

Or is you working for a bank the reason why you earn so much at the age of 24?

You can earn that much at other jobs as well, like accounting, corporate law, certain roles in technology and engineering. You just have to find them. Focus on a role you would enjoy and the money will come.
Original post by karl pilkington
What university did you go to where do you work what hours do you work and are there a lot of hot women there?

I went to a Russell Group university.
I work roughly 8 to 5/6.

Yeah, the product controller at one of my clients hates me at the moment... I think I've called her about stuff several times a day last week... I apologise on behalf of all auditors for the extra work we generate

Haha no problem! You're very much needed to be fair

Original post by NX172
Too bad 50k doesn't get you the life you want in London (at all).

Personally, I'm not big on spending money so for me I feel that it gives me the life I'm currently very happy with. It's enough for me to be independent, afford a place to live and good healthy food to eat, as well as a treat every now and then and allows me to save for the future.

you took the dark route and went into banking?
do you work in london

Quick Reply