The Student Room Group

I'm 24 and I earn £50k a year AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Yaboi
how did you get the job in the first place

I applied for and completed an internship after which I was offered a place on their full-time graduate scheme.
Reply 41
Did you do the internship straight after university?
Reply 42
Original post by spidle
Did you do the internship straight after university?

I did the internship in the summer between my second and third year of university.
Original post by Sharif92
I did the internship in the summer between my second and third year of university.

Do you have any tips on securing an internship? I'm assuming you went to a target or at least a semi-target university
Reply 44
The two most important things to practise are interviews and psychometric tests. A lot of banks use situational judgement, numerical and logical tests as part of their online application process. Your performance on these is very important so make sure you download some and practice them. There are packages available to purchase and use.

For interviews, I would recommend the tried and tested "STAR" method- https://www.theguardian.com/careers/careers-blog/star-technique-competency-based-interview
Make sure you know about the the company and some statistics about it so you can impress the interviewer. At the end of the day, your success at the interview largely depends on what emotion the interviewer feels right after it. Make sure you impress him with your knowledge and passion for the job.
50k is peanuts in this country. You won't ever be able to buy a house in London, or its surroundings any time soon. However, at 24 you're still doing better than most. So congratulations.
Reply 46
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
50k is peanuts in this country. You won't ever be able to buy a house in London, or its surroundings any time soon. However, at 24 you're still doing better than most. So congratulations.

Thanks, I'm happy with how much I'm earning tbh, especially when there are so many people suffering in the world. I hope to one day be able to make a difference in those people's lives.
(edited 7 years ago)
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a wood chuck would chuck wood?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 48
I applied for and completed an internship after which I was offered a place on their full-time graduate scheme.

What are the bonuses like?

you ever considered contracting?
Reply 49
Original post by Trapz99
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a wood chuck would chuck wood?

25.1 kg exactly
Original post by Yaboi
What are the bonuses like?

you ever considered contracting?

The bonuses depending on the economic environment and your performance and experience.
I wouldn't want to work in a contracting role. I prefer the stability that working in a permanent role provides me with.
Original post by Michiyo
How?

Teach us how to earn that much at 24, sensei!

Or is you working for a bank the reason why you earn so much at the age of 24?

Just a guess but presumably he's an investment banker, they make an absolute fortune...
Reply 51
Original post by LordHeskey
Just a guess but presumably he's an investment banker, they make an absolute fortune...

I'm not an investment banker, I just work at an investment bank in a product control role. Only certain people at an investment bank make a fortune (by fortune I assume you mean £200000+ a year).
Reply 52
I hope I earn this much one day
Reply 53
How easy is it to become an accountant?
Are there many women working in your department?
Reply 55
Original post by P96
I hope I earn this much one day

You can if you put your mind to it and work hard. You have to be willing to work hard in order to make your dreams a reality.
Original post by Allie4
How easy is it to become an accountant?

Depends on the role and the company. Some jobs are easier to get than others.
Original post by yungaheartz
Are there many women working in your department?

Not really, mostly men.
My future plans are to hopefully be promoted to a managing director position opin the firm which will give me more responsibility. I also want to have a family of my own one day.

I prefer working in the role I'm currently in. I'm not interested in any of the front office roles. IBD does not interest me whatsoever and the hours are awful. Trading is far too risky and too aggressive. Sales- well, I'm not a great talker and it doesn't fit my personality. I'd hate to work in those roles, the pay is great I'm sure but it's not something I'd enjoy.

I don't feel that I'm underpaid. I think I'm compensated well for the work I do.

Thanks
Reply 57
Original post by VictoriaCoolio
That's the salary that money can buy happiness up to. So are you happy?

Yes, but I'm looking at progressing further within the firm, earning upwards of £150k later on in my career.
Reply 58
You can if you put your mind to it and work hard. You have to be willing to work hard in order to make your dreams a reality.

Yeah, however, I doubt there will ever be this amount of money to be made in web development, especially if you just work as a front end developer.
Reply 59
How much do you have in savings?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending