The Student Room Group

IKEAPanda37's Surviving A-levels (and other stuff) Adventure :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IKEAPanda37
Blog Post #5 (7th February - 10th February)

7th Feb

:work: Study 1 and 2 :work:
- Trying to catch up with Geography work after I missed Friday's lesson

:hide: Geography :hide:
- Our teacher wasn't in today.... so we had a teacher for like 5 mins and then we were alone for the rest of 2 hours
- We were just making notes on retail-led regeneration and stuff :thumbsup:

:work: Study 5 :work:
- See Study 1 and 2

I actually love the colour maroon, such a cool colour, such a cool word as well. Idk Maroon 5 tho, their songs suck sorryor ami........? (I'm on such a weird mood righnt now)

8th Feb

:biggrin: Travel and Tourism :biggrin:
- Continued with Event management stuff
- Finished questionnaires :woo:
- I need to know what markeing mix is :shock: like what???????

:france: French :france:
- Have creme eggs got ssmaller or something???? They actually taste so good tho :love:
- Anyway, we did listening and translation exercises
- MOCK SPEAKING EXAM TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!
- Tbh it was a bit all over th place but it wasnt too bad
- The first card on pollution went too plan
- I think I got a bit confused the 2nd card, it was about migration in the EU and free movement and for some stupid reason I started talking about people coming from war affected countries :facepalm: I got on the right track tho :thumbsup:
- Then we had 5 mins on La Haine. I freaked out because you cant make notes for this bit. The questions the assistant asked weren't hard and I knew what I wanted to say but I just couldn't figure out how to say it
- So yeah, we'll just have to see with that.....

Other - No guitar until half term. Also means no Tesco either :frown:

9th February

:hide: Geography :hide:
- We did an essay!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek2: :eek3: :eek4: "The hazards presented by seismic events have the greatest impact on the world's poorest people" To waht extent do you agree with this view?
- It was the first essay we had done in quite a while but I think it went ok :smile:
- Someone in our class decided they would just walk out of class to answer phone during lesson and then was like "so my bank cancelled my card but we're getting dogs" ummmmm okkkkkkk.........
- We had to leave after 1st because there was a driving awareness assembly, luckily i got out of it because i dont wanna see people dying, i emailed the head of 6th form and he said I could just study

:france: French: :france:
- French poetry :eek: :eek2: :eek3: :eek4:
- My French teacher moaned at me because I don't have oipinions about the poems.....
- So I need to have opinions on poems........... :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Travel and Tourism
- Same as always but with a cover teacher instead

Other
- We had Y13 Parents Evening :woo: (not :woo: more :eek4:)
- Saw my geography teacher ho was a bit more positive than we thought, she said my work had decreased in quality recently but she said I put in the effort and I'm good at georaphy although we need more 1 to 1s and more support
- Saw my Travel and Tourism teacher too - apparently I'm the one in the class who you can rely on the most always works hard, should come out with an B or even an A :thumbsup:
- Listened to Eurovision 2017 National FInal songs for this ame I'm hosting on another forum

10th February

:work: Study 1, 2, 3 and 4 :work:
- Just trying to catch up with Geograhy work again, we've been given a lot of work to improve....... :eek2:
- Finished notes on retail regenerartion and sports led regeneration :thumbsup:
- Started improvng anwswers on a;; cities marked questions Geography AS Retake session
- Looked at tombolos and sand dunes for our coasts topic
- Looked at the energy 15 maker in our mock exam, about sustainable tourism
- We received our essays back (I got 21/40 which I'm happy with, I'm improving and thats all that matters)

Other
- ITS HALF TERM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :party:
- My mum is bring ing me back a McDonalds :woo: :yum:

Stuff to look forward to
- Visiting UEA tomorrow for Language and COmmunication Studies Visit Day, it is my 4th choice atm but it will stilll be nice to visit it again :smile:
- Get to spend quality time with my mother :thumbsup: :love:
- Half term
- Swansea and Leicester applicant visit days
- The end of @CheeseIsVeg s amazing story

I've been listening to quite a few songs recently so I don't know what to choose
[video="youtube;kQQaQLaWe84"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQQaQLaWe84[/video]This one is proper smooth tho :thumbsup:

Sorry if the whole post looks a mess, had internet problems so had to copy whole post onto notepad so its lost its formatting and I cant be bothered to change it back:redface:

@CheeseIsVeg @The_Lonely_Goatherd @furryface12 @LeCroissant @UWS @NiamhM1801

PRSOM :colondollar:
:jumphug: Will need to read properly tomorrow but I'm sure you did well!
I always thought speakings were like U grades but they were far from it so yeah :jumphug: You got this! :smile:
Glad you like the story :cube: I'll finish it tomorrow!
EWWWWWWWWWWWW CREME EGGS :hand:

ZOMG, I remember watching 'La Haine' in French A2. That was some deep **** right there! :eek:

Enjoy UEA tomorrow! Say hi to the bunnies from me :biggrin: They hop around the campus :biggrin:
I hope you've enjoyed UEA! I was actually going to go to an applicant day there but I'm too lazy haha :colondollar:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
PRSOM :colondollar:
:jumphug: Will need to read properly tomorrow but I'm sure you did well!
I always thought speakings were like U grades but they were far from it so yeah :jumphug: You got this! :smile:
Glad you like the story :cube: I'll finish it tomorrow!

Thank you :hugs: We'll just have to see:redface:
Story was brill btw :thumbsup:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
EWWWWWWWWWWWW CREME EGGS :hand:

ZOMG, I remember watching 'La Haine' in French A2. That was some deep **** right there! :eek:

Enjoy UEA tomorrow! Say hi to the bunnies from me :biggrin: They hop around the campus :biggrin:

But............creme eggs.........are fabulous.................:frown:
Haha its ok, I know quite a few people who dont like them:tongue:

Ikr, I was watching it at home by myself and I was like, this much deeper than I was expecting.....and that ending :eek: :eek2: :eek3: :eek4: I think I just sat there in shock for ages :shock: Really good film tho :smile:

Haha thanks :thumbsup: I did :smile:, still unsure tho, course-wise is brilliant but still not feeling the campus tbh. I didn't actually see any bunnies :frown: We must have scared them off:tongue:
Original post by LeCroissant
I hope you've enjoyed UEA! I was actually going to go to an applicant day there but I'm too lazy haha :colondollar:

Yeah it was good thanks:h: Still not sure whether it will be my firm or not, I really like the course but not really the campus but we'll see:smile:

Les croissants ne devraient jamais etre parasseux :naughty: Haha I get what you mean, I was meant to go Newcastle but its so far and it was my least favourite of the 5 i applied to so we were like nah:tongue:
Thank you :hugs: We'll just have to see:redface:
Story was brill btw :thumbsup:

:jumphug: :console: try to smile :smile:
Awh :cube: glad you liked it!
But............creme eggs.........are fabulous.................:frown:
Haha its ok, I know quite a few people who dont like them:tongue:

Ikr, I was watching it at home by myself and I was like, this much deeper than I was expecting.....and that ending :eek: :eek2: :eek3: :eek4: I think I just sat there in shock for ages :shock: Really good film tho :smile:

Haha thanks :thumbsup: I did :smile:, still unsure tho, course-wise is brilliant but still not feeling the campus tbh. I didn't actually see any bunnies :frown: We must have scared them off:tongue:

CREME EGGS ARE LIFE :coma: :drool: :yum: :heart:
*appears at the mention of creme eggs being superior*

*creeps out again*

:ninja:

Spoiler

*stops watching blog in protest at all this Creme Egg love* :nothing:

Spoiler

Spoiler

:ditto: :yucky:
Didn't realise the topic of creme eggs were so controversial......:colondollar:

Original post by furryface12
*appears at the mention of creme eggs being superior*

*creeps out again*

:ninja:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by NiamhM1801
:ditto: :yucky:

I should make my blog only available to creme egg lovers:colone:

No haters plz:goaway:

Spoiler

Didn't realise the topic of creme eggs were so controversial......:colondollar:

Spoiler

I should make my blog only available to creme egg lovers:colone:

No haters plz:goaway:

Spoiler

Neither did I until recently :tongue: quite the debate can be had over them!

Spoiler

Blog Post #6(?) = 11th-16th January

So it's currently half-term for me atm. Let's just say I've relaxed more than studied although I did a bit of studying yesterday :thumbsup: and hope to finish all work before I go back:smile: Don't kill me please :hide:

11th January (UEA Language and Communication Studies Applicant Day)
- So, as you can already tell, I went to UEA (University of East Anglia) for my applicant day, with my mum and nan. The journey wasn't too bad, only about 2 hours away although wouldn't be so easy by train :frown: Anyway, we got there early :shock: which allowed us to get sorted
- I got a sticker :party: although it wasn't very specific, I was just a Language and Communication Applicant, there were quite a lot of subjects there, including Engineering, Philosophy and my personal favourite Drug Discovery :tongue: (wish I could do that:wink:)
- Had a Welcome talk which didn't really tell us anything new before being transported to our specific school of whatever we wanted to do
- We had a general talk about what language courses are like, and there was a register :eek: and at this point, I was impressed
- Lunch was a bit all over the place, I'm quite picky when it comes to food:colondollar: and I discovered that ham and mustard sandwiches are not nice:yucky: but cheese straws :love: Also, had a chat with an ex-student who was really nice and informative:h:
- Then, we had a talk about the year abroad and careers before splitting up (parents and applicants)
- All applicants were split in two, one group had a taster seminar and the other half had small group discussions with academic staff (:eek4:)
- Had the seminar first, not entirely sure it was relevant for me (I applied for Translation and Interpreting with Modern Languages, but this seminar was talking about Intercultural Communication) whereas at Cardiff, I had seminars for all aspects of the course I was interested in, but it was still interesting anyway
- Then, discussions with staff, they were all really nice and despite feeling really nervous, I felt comfortable and they gave a more detailed overview of the courses etc. Had 2 discussions, one with French and one with Spanish
- That was the end of the applicant day so me, my mum and nan regrouped and went to the cafe, where I had a white hot chocolate and coffee cake :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: (this is where someone will say they don't like coffee cake:rolleyes:)
- Went home and was really tired so I just slept as soon as I got home :sleep:

Thoughts:
- Course-wise, it's really good and it seems right for me, but I don't think I got as great an idea of what I'll actually be doing as Cardiff, where I got seminars on each part of my course
- I really like the facilities, the language labs with the interpreting booths is really cool :thumbsup:
- The thing that lets it down is the actual campus, it's not very attractive, and I'm not sure if I would want to stay there for 4 years (well 3 because year abroad) but then, is that a valid reason :dontknow:
- It's got really good points and really bad points so Idk tbh...... :confused:
- Cardiff still my firm :thumbsup:

12th January to 16th January
- Not much to say tbh:colondollar:
- Played the Harry Potter Hogwarts Lego Board Game with the family, it got really irritating:angry: but its a good game, also I like that we're spendinf more time together:h:
- Got my haircut, looks much better now :thumbsup:
- Went to Waitrose, because my dad bought one of those Valentines Day meal thingies where you get a starter, main, 2 sides, dessert and wine for £20 which is very good deal (Well played Waitrose:congrats:) Food there is really posh tho, like wow and desserts are way too small :frown: We bought red velvet cupcakes for us 2, sister and nan where we went afterwards
- My dad put my nans new letterbox in, made so much noise with the drill which wasn't pleasant, but he got there :thumbsup: Also, one of our relatives came to see us, not seen him in ages because he moved to Portugal, so was nice to see him:smile:
- Watched Pobol y Cwm (duh.....) and other stuff :tongue:
- Did French work, including translating a very long conversation (so long :shock:) and writing a paragraph on what causes poverty in the world, mine turned into an essay but she can't complain, teacher ususally complains my work isn't detailed or developed enough:tongue: Just leaves Geography (which I really don't wannado :frown:)
- Helped my sister with the guinea pigs today, we cleared out the guinea pig hutch and took off the cover thingy to let it dry, the guinea pigs were out in the run all day, we also had to get food from the pet shop which meant me and my sister had to walk down the front but it was fun :thumbsup: That said, 3 stupid 8 year olds on bikes were like "are you going out?", obviously they don't understand the concept of siblings :rolleyes: Hopefully, they got run over :hide: When we returned, we put new beedding in and stuff, and they went back in therir comfy hutch, they're so cute :penguinhug: :penguinhug: :love: Me and my sister work well as a team :five:
- Eurovision :party: :party: :party: Italy's entry is really good :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: whilst Spain will not be my #1 this year, their song is not good, well starts off good but the chorus is bad, shame :frown: Nowhere near as good as Say Yay :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
- I really want cake!!!!!!!!!!!! :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: Totally not obsessed tho, promise:redface:

Stuff to look forward to
- Going Swansea tomorrow for Swansea applicant day on Saturday, whole family going this time :smile:
- Ummmm thats it tbh......

I really don't know what song to choose, I've been listening to loads of Eurovision 2017 national final entries, which I hope are picked or should have been picked but weren't :frown:

Hungary managed to eliminate my 3 favourite songs in the semi final stages :frown: (Naughty Hungary:spank:smile: but this amazing song which I now really love is in the final so I really hope they pick this :love:
[video="youtube;o-7ETxsPiMY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-7ETxsPiMY[/video]

@CheeseIsVeg @The_Lonely_Goatherd @LeCroissant @furryface12 @NiamhM1801 @UWS
Blog Post #6(?) = 11th-16th January

So it's currently half-term for me atm. Let's just say I've relaxed more than studied although I did a bit of studying yesterday :thumbsup: and hope to finish all work before I go back:smile: Don't kill me please :hide:

11th January (UEA Language and Communication Studies Applicant Day)
- So, as you can already tell, I went to UEA (University of East Anglia) for my applicant day, with my mum and nan. The journey wasn't too bad, only about 2 hours away although wouldn't be so easy by train :frown: Anyway, we got there early :shock: which allowed us to get sorted
- I got a sticker :party: although it wasn't very specific, I was just a Language and Communication Applicant, there were quite a lot of subjects there, including Engineering, Philosophy and my personal favourite Drug Discovery :tongue: (wish I could do that:wink:)
- Had a Welcome talk which didn't really tell us anything new before being transported to our specific school of whatever we wanted to do
- We had a general talk about what language courses are like, and there was a register :eek: and at this point, I was impressed
- Lunch was a bit all over the place, I'm quite picky when it comes to food:colondollar: and I discovered that ham and mustard sandwiches are not nice:yucky: but cheese straws :love: Also, had a chat with an ex-student who was really nice and informative:h:
- Then, we had a talk about the year abroad and careers before splitting up (parents and applicants)
- All applicants were split in two, one group had a taster seminar and the other half had small group discussions with academic staff (:eek4:)
- Had the seminar first, not entirely sure it was relevant for me (I applied for Translation and Interpreting with Modern Languages, but this seminar was talking about Intercultural Communication) whereas at Cardiff, I had seminars for all aspects of the course I was interested in, but it was still interesting anyway
- Then, discussions with staff, they were all really nice and despite feeling really nervous, I felt comfortable and they gave a more detailed overview of the courses etc. Had 2 discussions, one with French and one with Spanish
- That was the end of the applicant day so me, my mum and nan regrouped and went to the cafe, where I had a white hot chocolate and coffee cake :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: (this is where someone will say they don't like coffee cake:rolleyes:)
- Went home and was really tired so I just slept as soon as I got home :sleep:

Thoughts:
- Course-wise, it's really good and it seems right for me, but I don't think I got as great an idea of what I'll actually be doing as Cardiff, where I got seminars on each part of my course
- I really like the facilities, the language labs with the interpreting booths is really cool :thumbsup:
- The thing that lets it down is the actual campus, it's not very attractive, and I'm not sure if I would want to stay there for 4 years (well 3 because year abroad) but then, is that a valid reason :dontknow:
- It's got really good points and really bad points so Idk tbh...... :confused:
- Cardiff still my firm :thumbsup:

12th January to 16th January
- Not much to say tbh:colondollar:
- Played the Harry Potter Hogwarts Lego Board Game with the family, it got really irritating:angry: but its a good game, also I like that we're spendinf more time together:h:
- Got my haircut, looks much better now :thumbsup:
- Went to Waitrose, because my dad bought one of those Valentines Day meal thingies where you get a starter, main, 2 sides, dessert and wine for £20 which is very good deal (Well played Waitrose:congrats:) Food there is really posh tho, like wow and desserts are way too small :frown: We bought red velvet cupcakes for us 2, sister and nan where we went afterwards
- My dad put my nans new letterbox in, made so much noise with the drill which wasn't pleasant, but he got there :thumbsup: Also, one of our relatives came to see us, not seen him in ages because he moved to Portugal, so was nice to see him:smile:
- Watched Pobol y Cwm (duh.....) and other stuff :tongue:
- Did French work, including translating a very long conversation (so long :shock:) and writing a paragraph on what causes poverty in the world, mine turned into an essay but she can't complain, teacher ususally complains my work isn't detailed or developed enough:tongue: Just leaves Geography (which I really don't wannado :frown:)
- Helped my sister with the guinea pigs today, we cleared out the guinea pig hutch and took off the cover thingy to let it dry, the guinea pigs were out in the run all day, we also had to get food from the pet shop which meant me and my sister had to walk down the front but it was fun :thumbsup: That said, 3 stupid 8 year olds on bikes were like "are you going out?", obviously they don't understand the concept of siblings :rolleyes: Hopefully, they got run over :hide: When we returned, we put new beedding in and stuff, and they went back in therir comfy hutch, they're so cute :penguinhug: :penguinhug: :love: Me and my sister work well as a team :five:
- Eurovision :party: :party: :party: Italy's entry is really good :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: whilst Spain will not be my #1 this year, their song is not good, well starts off good but the chorus is bad, shame :frown: Nowhere near as good as Say Yay :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
- I really want cake!!!!!!!!!!!! :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: Totally not obsessed tho, promise:redface:

Stuff to look forward to
- Going Swansea tomorrow for Swansea applicant day on Saturday, whole family going this time :smile:
- Ummmm thats it tbh......

I really don't know what song to choose, I've been listening to loads of Eurovision 2017 national final entries, which I hope are picked or should have been picked but weren't :frown:

Hungary managed to eliminate my 3 favourite songs in the semi final stages :frown: (Naughty Hungary:spank:smile: but this amazing song which I now really love is in the final so I really hope they pick this :love:
[video="youtube;o-7ETxsPiMY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-7ETxsPiMY[/video]

@CheeseIsVeg @The_Lonely_Goatherd @LeCroissant @furryface12 @NiamhM1801 @UWS

Awh that's so lovely! :penguinhug:
Guinea pigs :colondollar:
But be the upper person and try not to wish for the deaths of people other than Trump :tongue:

Spoiler

Sounds like you've had a good week though! Enjoy Swansea :h:
Coffee cake :coma: Glad you had a nice time at UEA, how it's equally nice when you go to visit Swansea on Sat!

Half-terms are totes for relaxing, imho :yep: One has to have a break from studying sometimes :smartass:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Awh that's so lovely! :penguinhug:
Guinea pigs :colondollar:
But be the upper person and try not to wish for the deaths of people other than Trump :tongue:

Haha true:biggrin: Yeah, doing that has got me into trouble before, very big trouble.......

Spoiler

Spoiler

Sounds like you've had a good week though! Enjoy Swansea :h:

Yeah I did thanks:h:
Thank you, looking forward to it :thumbsup:
Haha true:biggrin: Yeah, doing that has got me into trouble before, very big trouble.......

Spoiler

Yeah I did thanks:h:
Thank you, looking forward to it :thumbsup:

That's ok :hugs:
Be careful, please :redface: :cube:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest