The Student Room Group

A-level Choices Help

I am currently in Year 11 at school and am really struggling to figure out what I want to take for A levels and the career path I want to go into. The only advice I have from teachers etc. is to choose subjects I like and that I'm good at, but I genuinly like all my options and are doing equally well in them (in my last mocks I got A*'s in bio, chem, physics, Re, PE, history, French, a level 8 in maths and a 9 in English lit).
For A levels I have applied for Chemisty, biology, maths and psychology because of an interest in medicine but even that I'm unsure about and I was also trying to keep my options open if that didn't work out, so would I still have options with these subjects? Or would I be better changing them now? Any advice would be helpful :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Your options are good, but Psychology isn't needed at a level to take it further! I'd keep your sciences and change Psychology to a Humanities subject if I were you, or English Lit.

Well done on your GCSE mock results by the way! It looks like you're doing really well.
Reply 2
Original post by StevetheIcecube
Your options are good, but Psychology isn't needed at a level to take it further! I'd keep your sciences and change Psychology to a Humanities subject if I were you, or English Lit.

Well done on your GCSE mock results by the way! It looks like you're doing really well.

Thanks a lot! Just to clarify if I went into something like neuroscience or psychiatry would I need psychology at A level or not? And I will definitely look into changing it to a humanities subject if so.
Original post by A0l1v3rx
Thanks a lot! Just to clarify if I went into something like neuroscience or psychiatry would I need psychology at A level or not? And I will definitely look into changing it to a humanities subject if so.

You'd have to check, but for neuroscience they would definitely prefer a science a level to psychology, as it's closer to medicine stuff.

Id just double check on a couple of unis websites to see what they say.
I dont think you need psychology, but i could be wrong.
Reply 5
Original post by StevetheIcecube
You'd have to check, but for neuroscience they would definitely prefer a science a level to psychology, as it's closer to medicine stuff.

Okay thanks I'll look into it.
Reply 6
Original post by Emma:-)
Id just double check on a couple of unis websites to see what they say.
I dont think you need psychology, but i could be wrong.

Thank you I'll definitely have a look
I am currently in Year 11 at school and am really struggling to figure out what I want to take for A levels and the career path I want to go into. The only advice I have from teachers etc. is to choose subjects I like and that I'm good at, but I genuinly like all my options and are doing equally well in them (in my last mocks I got A*'s in bio, chem, physics, Re, PE, history, French, a level 8 in maths and a 9 in English lit).
For A levels I have applied for Chemisty, biology, maths and psychology because of an interest in medicine but even that I'm unsure about and I was also trying to keep my options open if that didn't work out, so would I still have options with these subjects? Or would I be better changing them now? Any advice would be helpful :smile:

Psychology isn't needed for anything, take it out of enjoyment if you wish, it won't advantage you, really, except in psychology degrees. Psychiatry is a branch of medicine, so you'd do a medicine degree, where psychology A level doesnt really do much. Neuroscience is a scientific analysis of the nervous system, not a philosophical, argumentative approach as in physchology. Experimental psychology might be something you like, but that's an Oxbridge exclusive.

Generally speaking, you don't need it, but you don't really need a different subject to replace it for your career choices. I mean, you don't even need 4 AS Levels anymore
Reply 8
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Psychology isn't needed for anything, take it out of enjoyment if you wish, it won't advantage you, really, except in psychology degrees. Psychiatry is a branch of medicine, so you'd do a medicine degree, where psychology A level doesnt really do much. Neuroscience is a scientific analysis of the nervous system, not a philosophical, argumentative approach as in physchology. Experimental psychology might be something you like, but that's an Oxbridge exclusive.

Generally speaking, you don't need it, but you don't really need a different subject to replace it for your career choices. I mean, you don't even need 4 AS Levels anymore

What other subject would you recommend and not even necessarily for neuroscience or psychiatry because I'm not entirely sure about them? Your reply has been helpful, thank you.
What other subject would you recommend and not even necessarily for neuroscience or psychiatry because I'm not entirely sure about them? Your reply has been helpful, thank you.

If you want to do anything like engineering, natural sciencesor physics itself, pick physics. Anything under the Law/literature route and I'd recommend English lit.
Reply 10
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
If you want to do anything like engineering, natural sciencesor physics itself, pick physics. Anything under the Law/literature route and I'd recommend English lit.

Thanks again I've got a lot to think about haha
Thank you I'll definitely have a look

You could still do it for enjoyment purposes if you wanted and think you could get a decent grade in it. But i dont think its required.
Reply 12
Original post by Emma:-)
You could still do it for enjoyment purposes if you wanted and think you could get a decent grade in it. But i dont think its required.

Just wondering, do you think I would be better changing it to a humanities subject or sticking with it?
Just wondering, do you think I would be better changing it to a humanities subject or sticking with it?

It sounds fine as it is, but do whatever subject you will enjoy the most and get the best grade in.
I know this thread was OPd 6d ago but check out [www.plotr.co.uk]
Reply 15
Original post by theartofblanks
I know this thread was OPd 6d ago but check out [www.plotr.co.uk]

Thanks!
Thanks!

Anytime fren!
I am in year 13 and take biology, chemistry and psychology. I love all my subjects, and think they are fantastic subjects to choose. Universities like all of them as none are particularly easy.

Biology AS is SUPER easy, A2 is harder. I found AS more interesting than A2.
Chemistry AS is kind of difficult, A2 is difficult. Both years are super interesting. Favourite subject and doing it at Exeter.
Psychology both years have very easy content, there is just A LOT of it. The majority is interesting. Psychology is very good because it is classed as a science, not a social science, giving it a better reputation. It also involves writing essays, which shows you have multiple skills, rather than just short answer science questions.

As for maths... I sort of regret not taking it... because I did love it at GCSE and got an A*, but at the same time... everyone else in my chemistry class took it and they complain about it all the time. It is very difficult. You will struggle to do all four subjects, because they are all really hard. There is quite a bit of math in chemistry, so you wont be abandoning it if you don't take it. If your heart is really set, consider dropping a subject at AS :smile: I never did four, but I did an EPQ in my first year, which is also a good thing to do.
Reply 18
Original post by YselklaHosking
I am in year 13 and take biology, chemistry and psychology. I love all my subjects, and think they are fantastic subjects to choose. Universities like all of them as none are particularly easy.

Biology AS is SUPER easy, A2 is harder. I found AS more interesting than A2.
Chemistry AS is kind of difficult, A2 is difficult. Both years are super interesting. Favourite subject and doing it at Exeter.
Psychology both years have very easy content, there is just A LOT of it. The majority is interesting. Psychology is very good because it is classed as a science, not a social science, giving it a better reputation. It also involves writing essays, which shows you have multiple skills, rather than just short answer science questions.

As for maths... I sort of regret not taking it... because I did love it at GCSE and got an A*, but at the same time... everyone else in my chemistry class took it and they complain about it all the time. It is very difficult. You will struggle to do all four subjects, because they are all really hard. There is quite a bit of math in chemistry, so you wont be abandoning it if you don't take it. If your heart is really set, consider dropping a subject at AS :smile: I never did four, but I did an EPQ in my first year, which is also a good thing to do.

This is really helpful I appreciate it, and I was thinking of dropping one at AS but a lot are changing to the linear course so I wouldn't be able to, it depends on the sixth form I choose. Thank you!

For Medicine: Chemistry and Biology (for a small number only chemistry is mandatory - but a competitive application should have at least two sciences.) are well chosen, try and aim for A* or As in those subjects.
Even if you change your mind and apply for certain social sciences like Law or Politics, top grades in the sciences will set you apart from other applicants with all essay based A levels. It will show your technical and reasoning aptitude and an ability to deal with complex ideas, theories and an ability to absorb them.

I would change Psychology with either Eng Lit, History, Classics, RE or something similar. if you enjoy any of the aforementioned; they are rigorous. And the only non science subject, in my view, should be a traditional essay based subject to prove your ability to take in huge volumes of information and be able to use it in essays and answering question ets etc.

Theres nothing disadvantageous about psychology.

---It's surprising how many people are getting into top universities from public schools with one of their three A levels in less traditional subjects such as Government and Politics or Psychology. I'm not taking hits at those who study such subjects. I myself studied Government and Politics as a forth A level.

Overall the three you have chosen are brilliant! and hopefully you will perform well in examinations. As for the fourth subject I would seriously consider a traditional essay based subject. With top grades (A*-B) in all those subjects you will leave your options open and will show the Admissions tutor your an able student.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest