The Student Room Group

Does attendance matter in Sixth Form?

Hi,

My attendance is quite bad (87%) because I've just been unlucky to be ill quite frequently during winter, but now exams are coming I want to miss more days to revise. I know class is important but my teachers are pretty much useless and don't really teach, and I know I'll do much more work at home.
If my attendance gets to around 80%, will universities see this and care? I'm taking a gap year so my teachers will reference in September and I'm thinking of applying to medicine (not 100% sure yet) and I'm worried med unis will reject me or poor attendance/punctuality. Also, is it true I can get fined for poor attendance?My friend (and quite a few others in my year) has around 75% attendance but he hasn't got into any trouble really, but his reference is already sent off so it wouldn't matter to him anyway. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Yes, it is.
Reply 2
Original post by emerald7770
Yes, it is.

are you sure? :frown:
Original post by Oragon
are you sure? :frown:

Yeah, and I'm in the same boat as you! You miss crucial information and therefore, miss out on marks on papers. Some places kick you out and I think you need a reference from your sixth form to the uni you want to go and your attendence will be there. Universities don't accept those with bad attendance. Your one isn't that bad to be honest. 87% is on the higher side. Get over 95 and you'll be okay. Good luck xo
Reply 4
Lol no, mine is like 47.2%. Had a meeting with my head of sixth form about it and was like "with all respect I think your system needs updating", truth is im just lucky he's not in much and whenever he is I happen to be too so he was like "yeah it must be at least 75%+ because I see you all the time" although tbh there's no way it's 40%, it must be 60% at least which is still bad but I'm getting good grades and do an A-level out of school. Also proved I could get AAB at AS with awful attendance so I think they know forcing me to come in will only make me less productive.

Universities don't see your attendance so I wouldn't worry about that, although one of your teachers might be a B**** and decide to put it on your reference so watch out
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by zayn008
Lol no, mine is like 47.2%. Had a meeting with my head of sixth form about it and was like "with all respect I think your system needs updating", truth is im just lucky he's not in much and whenever he is I happen to be too so he was like "yeah it must be at least 75%+ because I see you all the time" although tbh there's no way it's 40%, it must be 60% at least which is still bad but I'm getting good grades and do an A-level out of school. Also proved I could get AAB at AS with awful attendance so I think they know forcing me to come in will only make me less productive.

Universities don't see your attendance so I wouldn't worry about that, although one of your teachers might be a B**** and decide to put it on your reference so watch out

lol yeah I'm mainly worried about my reference tbh. The teachers in my sixth form seem to not want some of us to succeed in anything.
Reply 6
Original post by Oragon
lol yeah I'm mainly worried about my reference tbh. The teachers in my sixth form seem to not want some of us to succeed in anything.

Trust me, I get you. Had a whole shenanigan about my predicted grades… got a decent A and they'd only predict me a B… with their rubbish teaching alone I wouldn't be surprised if I got B, it's the work out of school that's secured a B and getting me to an A.
Don't know about whether it'll go on your reference or anything, but apparently they can't fine you for poor attendance in sixth form.

I'd still try and go to most of your lessons though, as you'll be missing more than you think and the support of teachers can be really good.
Teachers cannot write a "bad" reference. It wont go on there.
Yes, it does matter. I know you want to take time off for revision, but you still have topics to cover in lessons and it's very important that you're in. I know someone who was kicked out with his last day being today because his attendance wasn't good enough. My advice would be to better manage your time at home so you have time for revision and lessons.
Original post by zayn008

So if teachers don't put it on your UCAS application does that mean the Unis don't see it??? Also I guess if someone gets really good grades like A's in everything that would back them up compared to someone who had good attendance but low grades 😀
Reply 11
Original post by Elena 365
So if teachers don't put it on your UCAS application does that mean the Unis don't see it??? Also I guess if someone gets really good grades like A's in everything that would back them up compared to someone who had good attendance but low grades 😀

Nope, nothing on UCAS that asks for attendance records and absolutely! I made the decision to try and go for the former and it's done me quite well. Although depending on your sixth form, having a bad attendance could get you kicked out so do be careful
Reply 12
Original post by StevetheIcecube
Yes, it does matter. I know you want to take time off for revision, but you still have topics to cover in lessons and it's very important that you're in. I know someone who was kicked out with his last day being today because his attendance wasn't good enough. My advice would be to better manage your time at home so you have time for revision and lessons.

I don't think you understand when I say my teachers can't teach. Surely just giving us text to read in class for the whole hour isn't worth going to? I know I'll get more done self studying, personally.
Reply 13
Original post by NiamhM1801
Don't know about whether it'll go on your reference or anything, but apparently they can't fine you for poor attendance in sixth form.

I'd still try and go to most of your lessons though, as you'll be missing more than you think and the support of teachers can be really good.

honestly, with the teachers I have, i don't think I'll be missing much. In the 2 years being at my sixth form I've only learnt that I would've done more if I didn't attend one at all. One of my regrets, wish i moved school.
Reply 14
Original post by zayn008
Nope, nothing on UCAS that asks for attendance records and absolutely! I made the decision to try and go for the former and it's done me quite well. Although depending on your sixth form, having a bad attendance could get you kicked out so do be careful

Original post by sameehaiqbal
Teachers cannot write a "bad" reference. It wont go on there.

I heard that teachers can still include it in and say your punctuality is bad in less direct way. :frown:
Original post by Oragon
I heard that teachers can still include it in and say your punctuality is bad in less direct way. :frown:

They're not allowed to as that makes it a bad reference. Just make sure you don't get kicked out.
attendance does not matter - if teacher writes in your reference tell them to remove it dont worry about it
Reply 17
Original post by Oragon

They can but you get the chance to review it and most the time they'll just remove it if requested... so just make sure you fully review it and discuss it with them. most likely won't happen tho since they're not really supposed to be negative/say bad things
I didn't attend maths classes for the entire A2 year and got an A grade because I self taught using examsolutions. I probably had an overall average attendance of 30-40% for college and still got 5 offers for very competitive universities.

If you can do the work at home then why worry? Unless you have classes you need to go to, for example a chemistry practical you can only do at college, then there is no reason to go to college except for when you find the classes more helpful than alternative means.
As you want time to revise I would advise skipping class and teaching yourself. You may miss a couple of key points, but you'll more than make up for it with more in depth knowledge from self-studying.
Reply 19
I wouldn't worry about it from a UCAS and uni applications point of view, but if your attendance is low you're missing a lot of content. My attendance was low 80s% as well and I mean I received a lot of empty threats to kick me out (really you're gonna kick me out a couple months before exams :colonhash:?)

But my grades suffered because of it - there are things you can't teach yourself plus at home you might procrastinate and so when it comes to examtime you'll be learning new material. You don't want that, if you go to lessons at least you'll be learning it and have someone there to ask questions if you're unsure about anything.

Quick Reply

Latest