The Student Room Group

Cambridge Uni Students Burn Money in Front of Homeless Person

Scroll to see replies

I would not worry about that too much... Regardless of our pedigree or degree, life has its own ways of teaching us the lessons that we ought to learn... ~
Wasn't the term 'Trumpanzee' before?
Original post by Strawberry68
Just goes to show you can go to Cambridge and be stupid.

To some of us, this is not news. :bebored:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
To some of us, this is not news. :bebored:

:rofl: PRSOM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathemagicien
Oh, I am. My kindness is one of the highest. People say to me, "Donald, your heart is so big." And it is.

You know, you're marvellous. We love you. I mean, you love me. That's true. We all love me. We love stoopid people. We do. Everyone, kick the little guy at the back who don't look white. Yeah, that's it, kick him good. We love him, we really do.
Original post by JohnGreek
When you get your name google'd for a job interview and this is the first thing that turns up... :O

At most of the investment banks, etc, this would boost his chances, not lower them.
Original post by jneill
If you would like to support Jimmy's, the local homeless charity in Cambridge, go to:

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/charity-web/charity/finalCharityHomepage.action?uniqueVmgCharityUrl=JimmysCambridge

£20 covers the cost of 20 meals.

you can fix it for Jimmy's
Shame to see CUCA is just like OUCA. Don't buy for a second that this is somehow not representative of CUCA - this behaviour didn't come out of nowhere. It will have been clear what he was like.
Isn't burning money in front of a homeless person an initiation for some societies?
Original post by nexttime
Shame to see CUCA is just like OUCA. Don't buy for a second that this is somehow not representative of CUCA - this behaviour didn't come out of nowhere. It will have been clear what he was like.

I suspect this is probably a regular thing for them, he just happened to get nobbled on video.

The age of the smartphone makes it so much harder for today's Tory students to behave in the sort of public obnoxious ways that have always been part of their ritual life before they entered the mainstream party of estate agents, chiselling crooks, massive bores and demented Europhobes they aspire to.
Reply 210
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Nothing to do with CUCA. This is a nasty smear. Sad!

This reads like one of Donald Trump's tweets.

To some extent the nasty party will always attract the lion's share of unpleasant people in this world for fairly obvious reasons - 'the homeless are what you step over when you come out of the opera' - the greater problem is really that those in authority seem not to care one dot about incidents of this kind unless media embarrassment comes a-calling and a hate-filled culture that would never be tolerated in other mainstream party organisations has been allowed to thrive.

The bullying culture within the Tory youth wing resulted in the suicide of a young man despite those in authority having been made aware of the situation by the victim. One of the principal actors in taunting this boy to death was kept on and has more recently been arrested on suspicion of rape committed on a young woman within the Parliament building itself.

The fact is that the Conservative Party is riddled with this kind of Tatler Toryism on which basic standards of treating other people never seem to have dawned, but more importantly the party itself does not seem to seriously see a problem and has acted accordingly on multiple occasions with predictably disastrous results. This incident is not cut-off from the culture that is tolerated and encouraged within the Conservative Party and closely affiliated groups such as CUCA, it is a symptom of that wider problem and out of a sense of decency to its many victims should be treated as such.

He's also a member of Pembroke College... should we judge Pembroke negatively for that?
Original post by Fenice
This reads like one of Donald Trump's tweets.

Gee, does it? I'll have to look into that.
if i saw someone do that i'd be in the police station. anyone with a baseline of morals would be aswell.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
He's also a member of Pembroke College... should we judge Pembroke negatively for that?

I suspect CUSU members who voted him in knew what he was like socially a lot better than Pembroke College did.

I am also admittedly drawing on stereotypes, but a pretty true stereotype in my experience.

Not all members of CUSU of course, but on balance of probability there probably is a poisonous core just like at OUSU.

Having said all that... I do feel a little sorry for him. He sounds like a horrible, horrible person, but the impact this will have on his ability to get a job will surely be pretty significant, not to mention the abuse he'll probably get in the street for the next few weeks walking around Cambridge.
(edited 7 years ago)
I suspect CUSU members who voted him in knew what he was like socially a lot better than Pembroke College did.

I am also admittedly drawing on stereotypes, but a pretty true stereotype in my experience.

Not all members of CUSU of course, but on balance of probability there probably is a poisonous core just like at OUSU.

Having said all that... I do feel a little sorry for him. He sounds like a horrible, horrible person, but the impact this will have on his ability to get a job will surely be pretty significant, not to mention the abuse he'll probably get in the street for the next few weeks walking around Cambridge.

Meh I don't know anyone in CUCA, but your stereotype of CUCA is a bit like what a random public member might think of Oxbridge students in general. So I think it is unfair to characterise people like that.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Meh I don't know anyone in CUCA, but your stereotype of CUCA is a bit like what a random public member might think of Oxbridge students in general. So I think it is unfair to characterise people like that.

I know... its just when you've had scandal after scandal, ranging from things like multiple members singing songs about killing jews, to allegations of widespread racism, to what I've seen in the street, to holding meetings about inequality in Mayfair hotels... it adds up and its hard not to consider the whole club toxic. Then you've got this to link CUCA to the same kind of behaviour.

If I met a OUCA member I would judge them individually, but if a friend was talking about joining i would warn them to stay well away.

Would you defend the Bullingdon in he same way?
I know... its just when you've had scandal after scandal, ranging from things like multiple members singing songs about killing jews, to allegations of widespread racism, to what I've seen in the street, to holding meetings about inequality in Mayfair hotels... it adds up and its hard not to consider the whole club toxic. Then you've got this to link CUCA to the same kind of behaviour.

If I met a OUCA member I would judge them individually, but if a friend was talking about joining i would warn them to stay well away.

Would you defend the Bullingdon in he same way?

I'm not sure I've heard much negative behaviour from CUCA members? And as I said above, if Coyne's behaviour supposedly reflects badly on CUCA, then by the same logic, it also reflects badly on Pembroke, the university itself etc. (I think someone associated with CUCA made a similar point in a comment to the Tab.)

I heard nothing much from CUCA during my time at the university, which gives me the impression that it's probably one of many pretty boring political societies.
A considered piece about it in The Tab tonight:
http://thetab.com/uk/2017/02/11/ronald-coyne-mob-vitriol-32669
Original post by jambojim97

Oh dear! I doubt even the Trumpettes of TSR will challenge the view that this is appalling.

Remind me again what this has to do with Trump? :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending