The Student Room Group

Why aren't you Vegan?

Scroll to see replies

I don't care about animals, that is the main reason. I like meat and dairy, don't like veg. I also don't believe the diet is healthy. I cover most of the reasons.

"but cattle no longer feed on grass" - Have you even read your own link?

They're an American newspaper talking about the impact of American farming methods.
Original post by JamesN88
"but cattle no longer feed on grass" - Have you even read your own link?

They're an American newspaper talking about the impact of American farming methods.

Grassfed cows are the minority in the whole of the west, most of a dairy cows diet consists of feed because it is much cheaper hence why they need b12 supplementation. You really are ignorant aren't you.
Because meat and dairy products are tasty and nutritious, and there are no alternatives I would be able or willing to replace it with. My diet is restricted enough as it is and I absolutely don't want to be restricting it even further. I would waste away if I even tried to go vegetarian or vegan.
Original post by The_Herbivore
Grassfed cows are the minority in the whole of the west, most of a dairy cows diet consists of feed because it is much cheaper hence why they need b12 supplementation. You really are ignorant aren't you.

Standards aren't universal across the west we were discussing meat not dairy(nice try at ducking the question though), the majority of beef is grass fed in the UK unlike the USA which is grain fed and sub-standard.

http://www.fwi.co.uk/business/fears-agriculture-could-be-sacrificed-us-uk-trade-deal.htm
Because I like chicken and dairy products. And yes I still care about animals despite eating meat and dairy products
Because chicken is my favourite food and I hate vegetables.

cows diets are majority grass based in the UK. It rains so much, hence grass is cheap

Posted from TSR Mobile
A mouth watering steak? A roast chicken dinner? Cottage pie? hard to sacrifice these for sore some vegetables
Original post by Angry cucumber
cows diets are majority grass based in the UK. It rains so much, hence grass is cheap

Posted from TSR Mobile

Growing up next to a farm I always wondered what those cows and sheep wandering around the fields were up to. :biggrin:
Original post by AmeliaLost
Because I got really weak and sick just being vegetarian, despite eating really well according to various nutritionists. I never felt hungry as such, just weakkk and anemic.

This was the reason I eventually went back to eating meat. I was eating healthily and taking vitamin supplements as well, but it just didn't seem to work for me. After two years I got so fed-up with being weak and sick all the time that I went back to eating meat.

I was never all that fussed on meat before I went vegetarian (wasn't fond of texture or taste), but when I later went back to eating it was like OMG HEAVEN ON EARTH. :tongue: Being vegetarian taught me to appreciate meat haha.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RV91
All you need to supplement is b12.

This is all I eat in a day:

bread
peanut butter
jam
assortment of veg when i crave them
fruit when I crave it
multivitamin
soya-milk/coffee

and I don't get any cravings for meat/dairy

If you're Vegan, what do you eat?

That might be a little bit deficient in some essential amino acids (Particularly tryptophan and lysine, they're only really coming from the peanut butter and the soya milk).

I'm not vegan because I don't like most nuts, pulses or grains (That doesn't really leave much). Meat, eggs and milk however, are delicious and easily provide all the micro/macro-nutrients you need without taking any supplements.

There's no health benefit to being vegan (Other than vegans tend to have a healthy lifestyle anyway) so I don't see any need.
Original post by UWS
Imagine using the "I am a vegan" as an introductory statement to everyone you meet, no thanks.

You mean, "to everyone you meat".

harharhar
Reply 73
Your poor attempt at an excuse was to say I'd rather help other animals who are facing extinction

I don't need to be excused. Whether or not I help animals at all is a valid way of living.

Check your own logic:

I made two statements,
A. I prefer to help animals by other means than becoming a vegan
B. I have no interest in becoming vegan

> I said it doesn't have to be one or another as I prefer to help animals by other means but I have no interest in becoming vegan.

Which means I could do both, but personally, I have no interest in becoming vegan. So I'll settle for the one.

> You said for "this reason" that I am "selfish" and that it has "nothing to do with helping animals".

So by your logic, people who aren't vegan but do help animals by other means, are selfish and "have nothing to do with helping animals".

Therefore, you're saying the only people who care about animals, are those who are vegan?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 74
Vegans are stupid and their actions are a mystery to both logic and reasoning... Why do they do it?

Original post by myblueheaven339
I'm a recently new vegan, started in November. I've found it quite easy to plan lots of different meals mostly using whole foods but also using some meat substitutes like the Linda McCartney sausages and vegan quorn pieces. There seems to be a bit of an explosion of vegan items recently in U.K. supermarkets, with loads of new products being released recently. The biggest problem I've had is eating at restaurants, but I've been able to find something suitable at most places with a little bit of research and maybe a phone call.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know in wetherspoons they have a vegetarian and vegan menu, and while the options aren't massive in number, they are all laid out there for you!
Original post by minimarshmallow
Do you know in wetherspoons they have a vegetarian and vegan menu, and while the options aren't massive in number, they are all laid out there for you!

I did thank you :smile: chains aren't an issue, it's the smaller independent restaurants which are a pickle!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
I did thank you :smile: chains aren't an issue, it's the smaller independent restaurants which are a pickle!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can see why that would be an issue, but you are also more likely to be able to get a nice person on the phone to help in that case, I would imagine.
Original post by minimarshmallow
I can see why that would be an issue, but you are also more likely to be able to get a nice person on the phone to help in that case, I would imagine.

Yes for the most part that has been the case :smile: just means a little more planning and making sure I have an emergency snack on hand just in case!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because I like to eat nice food.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest