The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thevamps99xo
Hey,

When can I apply for the 2017/18 academic year?? I've refreshed the website many times but it still says I can't. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

Applications for 2017/18 will be available February/March 2017.

Thanks
Original post by Cal_Lap
Will I receive less money for student finance if I have spent the last year working hard and saving £4k? This is my personal spending money and would not want to be forced to use it for accommodation or other student costs.

If it is true, can I move it to a savings account or my parents account so I'll receive the full amount of finance or is that fraud?
Hi

Hi

Student Finance will ask if you have any unearned income. They will not ask if you have savings.

Thanks
Original post by Bloom <3
Is there any way to get scholorship for online universities e.g online Open university
For students who are unable to afford or go to a real life uni for certain reasons and are still really interested about continuing studies at a uni level.

Hi

Open university courses attract part time finance (Tuition Fee Loan)

Thanks
Original post by bex.anne
When can student loans be payed back? Like the earliest date to get the least amount of interest?

Hi

You can repay your balance in full at any time.

Thanks
Reply 44
My partner hasn't filled in the form for income, or filled in the current year form - when he logged into his account to support my claim it said 'we have all the information we need' ?? What can I do now - will my claim be looked at again if we send the completed forms?
Reply 45
My partner hasn't filled in the form for income, or filled in the current year form - when he logged into his account to support my claim it said 'we have all the information we need' ?? What can I do now - will my claim be looked at again if we send the completed forms?
I am applying for DSA with a long term health condition, I was told the DSA helped cover the extra costs you have that without the funding you wouldn't be able to study at university, however I've since been told they no longer help with accomodation costs, which is what I need it for because I need catered accomodation and an en-suite bathroom due to my condition. So are there any other sources of funding I can go to because without it I won't be able to go to uni.
I am a British citizen, but have not been living in the UK in recent years (I have just completed my secondary school overseas). However, I shall be permanently re-locating to the UK, together with my parents, in the coming months.

I would like to know what options are available to me, to fund my university studies, given my particular circumstances. What financial support options would be open to me for student finance, student loans, scholarships, bursaries or any other sources?

I am planning to start a degree course, at a university in England, in July this year.

Any advice would be appreciated!
I'm 19 and I'm applying for university starting in September 2017, I have been living with my partner for the past year and we both have been working. When I apply for student finance do I include both of our incomes? Or will it be my parents income? And what tax year do you look at? Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey. I have a system ERROR on my account so they have manually put in a payment for me on my account. Usually The payment would say "submitted" and then once paid..."submitted" will say "paid". At the moment the manual payment says "payment in progress". The expected date is the 13/02/2017. Will I get my money on that date...or hasn't the payment been submitted? Because it's a manual payment I am assuming the titles wouldn't read the normal titile's, "approved", "submitted" and "paid". Please could I have some clarity if the "payment in process" is a normal title for a manual payment.

Thank you
Reply 50
Hi, I started a PGCE in 2015 and withdrew for various reasons. I am now hoping to start again in September this year. I did not have any student finance for my PGCE the first time around and was wondering if I will be eligible for it this time?
Original post by fumage

Call SFE directly and get someone who can see your account to check - the normal process for assessing entitlement is that SFE assess whether you're entitled to the basic loan amount and approve that (so that people can get confirmation quickly that they'll get something). THEN they will assess the household income and adjust the living costs loan if need be.
Original post by Ellie419
I am applying for DSA with a long term health condition, I was told the DSA helped cover the extra costs you have that without the funding you wouldn't be able to study at university, however I've since been told they no longer help with accomodation costs, which is what I need it for because I need catered accomodation and an en-suite bathroom due to my condition. So are there any other sources of funding I can go to because without it I won't be able to go to uni.

Do you get DLA/PIP care/mobility components - they're designed to cover the extra living costs of disability/health conditions and it could be that you're expected to use that money for additional accommodation costs.

If you've claimed everything you're entitled to and can still prove hardship then university hardship funds prioritise disabled students and so that would be an initial way to get additional funding.
Original post by BabaAndrew
I am a British citizen, but have not been living in the UK in recent years (I have just completed my secondary school overseas). However, I shall be permanently re-locating to the UK, together with my parents, in the coming months.

I would like to know what options are available to me, to fund my university studies, given my particular circumstances. What financial support options would be open to me for student finance, student loans, scholarships, bursaries or any other sources?

I am planning to start a degree course, at a university in England, in July this year.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Temporary absence outside the UK doesn't affect your eligibility - you just need to be able to prove that your time outside the UK was temporary (usually through providing visa/employment contracts that are for a fixed period of time OR through proving that your family maintained a UK residence/paid taxes/etc )
Original post by Sophielou135
I'm 19 and I'm applying for university starting in September 2017, I have been living with my partner for the past year and we both have been working. When I apply for student finance do I include both of our incomes? Or will it be my parents income? And what tax year do you look at? Thanks.

If you're under 25 then your household income will always be based on your parents income except in one of these cases:
you have a child
you are married
you are irreconcilably estranged from your parents
you can prove that you have supported yourself financially for 3 calendar years prior to the start of your course

For 2017/18 funding the 2015/16 tax year is used (but it is possible to use more recent years if household income has dropped significantly).
Original post by princess7994
Hey. I have a system ERROR on my account so they have manually put in a payment for me on my account. Usually The payment would say "submitted" and then once paid..."submitted" will say "paid". At the moment the manual payment says "payment in progress". The expected date is the 13/02/2017. Will I get my money on that date...or hasn't the payment been submitted? Because it's a manual payment I am assuming the titles wouldn't read the normal titile's, "approved", "submitted" and "paid". Please could I have some clarity if the "payment in process" is a normal title for a manual payment.

Thank you

You need to ring SFE directly with these queries about a specific account status

Original post by mia92
Hi, I started a PGCE in 2015 and withdrew for various reasons. I am now hoping to start again in September this year. I did not have any student finance for my PGCE the first time around and was wondering if I will be eligible for it this time?

As I understand it you would need to prove that you withdrew due to "compelling personal reasons" - usually these are health related or bereavement but other reasons are considered. You will need evidence.

You're best off applying as soon as applications open next month so that you'll get confirmation early
Original post by motassks
Hello SFE,

Why are parents asked to provide the income of their dependent children, i.e. the student's siblings? Is this information part of the household income?

Thank you

Hi motassks
We do use dependent income but only include earned income details for persons aged 16 and over. Do not count casual earnings of persons under 16.

Do not include income from sources such as the Government Child Trust, State Child Benefit or minimal sums of money from other sources when entering a child dependant's income. Any Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is also not included.Thanks
Original post by xlawpgl
Hi,
Is there any additional student loans you can get if your maintenance loan doesn't even cover your rent?
Thanks

Hi xlawpgl

We only offer the tuition fee loan and maintenance loan plus supplementary grants if you have dependents.

You could check with the university to see if there is any other sources of help or if they have a bursary.
thanks
Original post by mitchgardner1
When we apply, do we have to have our student bank accounts sorted, or is the application to process us ready for the academic year? Or do we need to have our student accounts sorted before we apply for student finance?

Hi mitchgardner1

You do need to have bank account to receive payments. As long as we have these before your payments are due you can provide them at any time.

Thanks
Original post by Albert93
Hi,
when can I apply for POSTGRADUATE loans for 2017/2018? Thank you.

Hi Albert93

We don't have a confirmation date, please keep checking back with us for updates and follow us on Twitter/Facebook where it will be announced.

Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending