The Student Room Group

Can't decide whether to accept offer from Oxford!!

I have an offer from Oxford for Japanese, but also one from Leeds for Arabic and Japanese combined. I prefer the course at Leeds, as I really want to study both languages. Would it be stupid to turn down an offer from Oxford?? Also, the course at Leeds is FIVE years! But it includes two years abroad, and it sounds amazing...
It isn't stupid to turn down Oxford if you prefer another university. That said, I think it is a very bad idea to take two such difficult languages ab initio, even having an extra year abroad is unlikely to make much difference. Both Arabic and Japanese are the kind of languages which demand total commitment, if your goal is fluency then you should go to Oxford.

I suggest you visit both departments and talk to the professors and students in person about the course before you make any decision. There's no reason why you can't go to the Middle East and learn Arabic after university.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
It isn't stupid to turn down Oxford if you prefer another university. That said, I think it is a very bad idea to take two such difficult languages ab initio, even having an extra year abroad is unlikely to make much difference. Both Arabic and Japanese are the kind of languages which demand total commitment, if your goal is fluency then you should go to Oxford.

I suggest you visit both departments and talk to the professors and students in person about the course before you make any decision. There's no reason why you can't go to the Middle East and learn Arabic after university.

Thanks, that is helpful. A lot of people have said it isn't a good idea to combine the two ab initio...
I agree with the other reply - it is ok to turn down Oxford if you prefer another university! I actually study Japanese at Oxford so my response might sound a little biased, but honestly, if you are studying both languages ab intio then it will be a lot of work, and it may not be such a wise idea. We have about 12 hours of intensive language per week here, and I can't even begin to think of the idea of adding another demanding language to that...Also, it is quite likely that you will end up knowing both languages to a lower standard than if you pick and focus on just one, so keep that in mind. That being said though, you should go for wherever you feel you'd be happier!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by TheTechN1304
I agree with the other reply - it is ok to turn down Oxford if you prefer another university! I actually study Japanese at Oxford so my response might sound a little biased, but honestly, if you are studying both languages ab intio then it will be a lot of work, and it may not be such a wise idea. We have about 12 hours of intensive language per week here, and I can't even begin to think of the idea of adding another demanding language to that...Also, it is quite likely that you will end up knowing both languages to a lower standard than if you pick and focus on just one, so keep that in mind. That being said though, you should go for wherever you feel you'd be happier!

Thanks for your reply! What I don't understand is why Leeds would offer this degree if it is too much work? I mean, presumably people do apply for it, and complete it successfully, otherwise they wouldn't offer it? Plenty of people study two or more languages for a degree... Anyway, that aside, what has been your experience of Japanese at Oxford, out of interest?? Thanks :smile:
Original post by spark12
Thanks for your reply! What I don't understand is why Leeds would offer this degree if it is too much work? I mean, presumably people do apply for it, and complete it successfully, otherwise they wouldn't offer it? Plenty of people study two or more languages for a degree... Anyway, that aside, what has been your experience of Japanese at Oxford, out of interest?? Thanks :smile:

Well the number of contact hours you get is probably considerably less, so the course is designed in a way that makes it more manageable. However I was just looking at the course details and I'm slightly weary of the fact that you study Japanese and Arabic for one year, go on your year abroad to somewhere in the Middle East, then immediately after go on your year abroad in Japan, despite having just had a whole year of not studying Japanese (followed by a whole year of not studying Arabic).

Anyway, I'm really enjoying Japanese at Oxford. It's a lot of work but the course is very thorough and I feel like I'm learning a lot. If you ever have any specific questions feel free to PM me :smile:
Original post by spark12
I have an offer from Oxford for Japanese, but also one from Leeds for Arabic and Japanese combined. I prefer the course at Leeds, as I really want to study both languages. Would it be stupid to turn down an offer from Oxford?? Also, the course at Leeds is FIVE years! But it includes two years abroad, and it sounds amazing...

Hi, I'm not at Oxford but I study two languages (both ab initio) so feel free to ask me anything as well.
(edited 6 years ago)
Are both of those languages completely new to you?
A lot of people who do those courses already have a-levels in both of the languages so I do think you'll struggle whereas maybe only doing 1 would be more worthwhile and you'll be less likely to fail.
Reply 8
Original post by Edminzodo
Hi, I'm not at Oxford but I study Egyptian and Chinese (both ab initio) so feel free to ask me anything as well.

Interesting - which university are you studying at? And how are you finding the course?
Original post by spark12
Interesting - which university are you studying at? And how are you finding the course?

Liverpool. I absolutely love my course, although I spend the vast, vast majority of my time on language work (I also take history and literature modules). It is time consuming but I think it's worth it if you're a decent linguist. I still have time to have a part-time job and go to three societies. If you do have any more questions then let me know.
Liverpool. I absolutely love my course, although I spend the vast, vast majority of my time on language work (I also take history and literature modules). It is time consuming but I think it's worth it if you're a decent linguist. I still have time to have a part-time job and go to three societies. If you do have any more questions then let me know.

But presumably you only learn to read ancient Egyptian? I think learning two spoken languages is going to be quite a bit harder than learning one spoken and one written language.
Reply 11

Thanks for your reply. Is your course called 'Chinese Studies and Egyptology'? I suppose that would be less language-focussed than a pure joint languages degree...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending