The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

What is Primary Education with QTS course like at BCU?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Prabhi444
Hi...got my interview coming up in a few days...just wondering what sorts of objects people took with them for task 1..? Would really appreciate the help..thanks!

I didn't personally take in an object I took in a book. However, I do know that others took in flashcards, shells, pebbles, a volcano piece and animal cards and stuff. :-)
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by hsharp5
Yes haha! I got an offer, did you? :-)

woo congrats!!! so did I :-) they gave me a reduced grade offer im so pleased!
Reply 82
Original post by peachisu
woo congrats!!! so did I :-) they gave me a reduced grade offer im so pleased!

Thankyou! You too! That's really good haha :-)
Original post by hsharp5
I didn't personally take in an object I took in a book. However, I do know that others took in flashcards, shells, pebbles, a volcano piece and animal cards and stuff. :-)

I took a mini white board :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by peachisu
hi! this is targeted to those who have already had their interview at BCU, but I had my interview at BCU on the 10th February, but I am still waiting for a decision :/ how long did it take for them to reply to you all? This is my last university im waiting for a decision from so im getting kind of impatient haha !

And to those who are waiting to have their interview at BCU, don't be nervous! they make you feel so relaxed, if it helps I can honestly say it was my best interview out of all my Primary Education interviews :smile:

Hey glad that you find the interview relaxing I am also a student at BCU and yeah they also make me fell comfortable and end up enjoy the conversation :smile:
Hye guys... i have an interview on wednesay at BCU and i dunno what arte fact to take and how i will talk for 5 LONG MINUTES about it :/ does anyone have any suggestions please?? :confused:

Thanks in advance :smile:
Hey...I had mine last Wednesday! Don't worry about it...it says five mins but everyone in the group I was in only spoke for about 2 mins! And people brought books in and other ideas that they have seen being used in classrooms!
Hope this has helped...
Good Luck!
Original post by Prabhi444
Hey...I had mine last Wednesday! Don't worry about it...it says five mins but everyone in the group I was in only spoke for about 2 mins! And people brought books in and other ideas that they have seen being used in classrooms!
Hope this has helped...
Good Luck!

hey oh really? wow, did you get a place at BCU ?? :smile:
and so can u bring in anything like a holy statue-- and talk about re in lesoons??

Original post by glitzy08
hey oh really? wow, did you get a place at BCU ?? :smile:
and so can u bring in anything like a holy statue-- and talk about re in lesoons??

Don't worry about the group presentations, that was the bit i was most nervous for and it went fine! I think you can literally take anything so that would be good, the main thing they're looking for is for you to be able to relate it back to how you'd promote teaching, what age group it would work for etc. No one in my group spoke for 5 minutes, it was so relaxed and everyone was so nice! Don't worry i'm sure you'll do fab! x
Original post by Lucy_Upton
Don't worry about the group presentations, that was the bit i was most nervous for and it went fine! I think you can literally take anything so that would be good, the main thing they're looking for is for you to be able to relate it back to how you'd promote teaching, what age group it would work for etc. No one in my group spoke for 5 minutes, it was so relaxed and everyone was so nice! Don't worry i'm sure you'll do fab! x

OMG you just made it sound so chilled! hope it will go as you said haha:smile:
did you get a place then?? is BCU your first choice?? x

BTW do you have the letter which says how the day is going to go or what documents you need to bring? like photocopies or anything?

because I didn't receive one :/ :smile::confused:
Original post by glitzy08
OMG you just made it sound so chilled! hope it will go as you said haha:smile:
did you get a place then?? is BCU your first choice?? x

BTW do you have the letter which says how the day is going to go or what documents you need to bring? like photocopies or anything?

because I didn't receive one :/ :smile::confused:

I'm sure it will! I'm not a huge fan of public speaking, but you each go to a different classroom with a teacher in groups of about 4/5 and take it in turns to speak, i even volunteered to go first so honestly it's not that bad haha! I got an offer a couple of weeks ago, i'm not sure yet I've still got a couple more interviews to go and then i'm going to decide, if you message me your email address i can forward you the email i got with it all on! x
Original post by Lucy_Upton
I'm sure it will! I'm not a huge fan of public speaking, but you each go to a different classroom with a teacher in groups of about 4/5 and take it in turns to speak, i even volunteered to go first so honestly it's not that bad haha! I got an offer a couple of weeks ago, i'm not sure yet I've still got a couple more interviews to go and then i'm going to decide, if you message me your email address i can forward you the email i got with it all on! x

oo congrats and good luck for the rest to come :biggrin:
hi all i am currently studying primary ed at bcu and am in my first year. I remember the interview day very well and how scary it was, but all i can say is be yourself, because that is what they want to see and is what will stand out amongst everyone else and dont worry if you slip up or make a mistake because that shows that you are only human :smile: good luck all :goodluck:
Reply 93
I had my interview last week and thought I'd come back on and give a little essay of the day haha! Since I got so much advice from here.

First you go in and theres a mini slideshow presentation before you're put into two groups, half go to do the english and math tests and the other half do group presentations. The presentations were super super relaxed and as long as you know how you can apply your object you'll do fine. Also be prepped to answer a couple of q's which our group leader asked in attempts to push our understanding but did it in a no pressure kind of way. He was super nice but I heard another girl's group leader timed them and sat at the other side of the room! I took in a cuddly toy and there was sooooo much to say eg class mascot, use as stimuli to explain subject content etc

Next were the english/math tests and I found the math tests super hard and didn't answer very many, probably since I didn't prep too much and blocked out any math after GCSE lol! English was fine, just a question to write a short answer on.

Then was the tour I think? or perhaps lunch. The tour was good, it was good to see everything beforehand. It's bigger on the inside than the outside for definite. Then was the student panel and time to ask any questions.

The interview was absolutely horrible. I blanked so so bad and said 'um, ya basically' after everything and stumbled and stuttered. The interviewer was super nice, and the answers were pretty standard, all of which were in the PDF sent to us beforehand plus a couple of extra ones but I kid you not, I was so so so so so sure there was no way I was gaining a place. I walked out absolutely mortified, coupled with the fact that I clearly had way less classroom experience (basically none).

Basically, don't be nervous! I was terrified and made two friends as soon as I sat down at 9am whom I held onto for the entire day haha! Everyone is super nice and as long as you prep you'll be fine!

So flash forward a week anddddd I recieved an offer. That too with lowered grade boundaries due to me being 'exceptional' but with a condition to complete two weeks experience. Like I am no drama queen, and I did not imagine fumbling over most of my interview answers! Plus my current issue was 'overcrowding' which he commented was pretty unoriginal and I said like two lines on it and couldn't answer what the solution to that could be. So prep and don't worry if you fumble here and there!!!!!

Good luck :smile:
Someone help me please im applying for my accommodation for BCU- im doing the primary education course but how long will my licence have to be 39, 40 or 41 weeks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by LouiseRoche
When I went yesterday I had to do a maths and English test. They weren't too hard tbf but they're the type of questions that look easy but aren't that easy...if that makes sense haha. They're not too bad though dont worry. :smile::smile:

Hi I have my interview next week and I'm really scared.I just want to ask about the presenation I dnt get what sort of book to take . Is it a book that children use in class like a story book or what. I hope u answer me .😢😢
Anyone got an offer for this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by enyaajohns
Anyone got an offer for this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Conditional offer today actually. Why?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending