The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
Is it an agency or a charity? Organisations tend to use phones, even if they didnt advertise what it was. You need to learn the skill of negotiating organisations. Someone somewhere is making a decision, they will have a phone and a secretary.

A charity. And how am I supposed to know the number if they don't advertise it anywhere lol.
Reply 41
Original post by sherlockfan
I'm sure there are ways round that. Ive received automated emails from employers before.
Clearly you don't have a very good knowledge of email.

It's called a mailing list, not a CC.

And, just by-the-by, I have excellent knowledge of employers. I am one.
A charity. And how am I supposed to know the number if they don't advertise it anywhere lol.

The skill of understanding organisations and getting past the switchboard. they will have a head office, people will work there, they will have phones.

Find the head office and ask to be put through to HR. If you use your social skills then explain your situation and ask them if they could help you.

The other alternative way is to write a letter, which are less easy to ignore than an e-mail.

The other way (suggested) is to use your line manager. If you have already volunteered there for a year then you should have access to the internal phone directory. You are already on the inside.
Original post by jneill
It's called a mailing list, not a CC.

And, just by-the-by, I have excellent knowledge of employers. I amknowledge

You could be anything for all I know. I could claim to be a doctor on here but it doesn't mean I am one.
If you have excellent knowledge why do you sound so ignorant.
Original post by 999tigger
The skill of understanding organisations and getting past the switchboard. they will have a head office, people will work there, they will have phones.

Find the head office and ask to be put through to HR. If you use your social skills then explain your situation and ask them if they could help you.

The other alternative way is to write a letter, which are less easy to ignore than an e-mail.

The other way (suggested) is to use your line manager. If you have already volunteered there for a year then you should have access to the internal phone directory. You are already on the inside.

Im not really sure what you mean, get past the switchboard. Under contact us all they had was an email address. Its the same for a lot of companies these days.
Anyway it's a bit late for that now, but thanks all the same.
Original post by Ladbants
lol it would be funny if they just ignored this one as well

ahahahaha
Reply 46
You could be anything for all I know. I could claim to be a doctor on here but it doesn't mean I am one.
If you have excellent knowledge why do you sound so ignorant.

You carry right on doing what you're doing then. You'll go far.
Im not really sure what you mean, get past the switchboard. Under contact us all they had was an email address. Its the same for a lot of companies these days.
Anyway it's a bit late for that now, but thanks all the same.

If you had just used google you could have identified where the head office is. It will have had a phone. You ring there and get through to the switchboard. You then use them to help put you through to HR= you end up speaking with someone who knows who is handling the job and can tell you when the applications have / will be processed. Its just common sense.
You should have sent them a series of letters in Eminem style,

Dear Sirs, I wrote you but you still ain't callin...
After a month of waiting and no answer despite follow up email, I sent them this:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I applied about a month ago for the position of _______ at ________. Having not heard anything back in weeks, I then followed up with an email, sent on the _______, politely inquiring what the situation was. I still haven't heard anything back. I didn't assume that I would be shortlisted, however, I made a lot of effort in my application and I was at least expecting a standard rejection email, as a matter of common courtesy.
I have been a loyal Volunteer at [the same organization] for over a year, though I have been finding it difficult to come in lately due to the cold weather and lack of heating in the [place of volunteering]. However, I find it disheartening that my emails have so far gone completely ignored. I didn't want to appear to be too persistent and so I have avoided emailing you for several weeks. I understand that you probably received hundreds of applications, however it wouldn't have taken you much time to simply write a standard rejection letter to send to all the unsuccessful candidates. I was excited at the possibility of working as a ________ and I believe I could have been a good employee, but your lack of response has put me off. Should more vacancies arise in _______, I will not put myself through the trouble of applying again.

Yours sincerely,

x

Too much?

And what exactly did you hope to gain from this? While yes they may have intended to let successful candidates know they were successful within a couple of weeks, they may still have put you on a short waiting list in case one of those they offered the job to couldn't accept it. Also, it's incredibly common not to get even a generic rejection email - I've applied to at least 50 jobs/ internships/ voluntary placements during my time at uni and maybe received at the most 10 rejection emails. It's also entirely possible that they did send you such an email, but it got filtered out by your email's SPAM filters or the like, you can't just assume that all the blame is on them.

It's a bit late now, but what you should have done instead is send them a polite email saying you are disappointed you were not offered the job, but would you be able to kindly have some feedback on your application. Having volunteered with the organisation for over a year you are really passionate about what they stand for, so you would be grateful if they would keep your CV on file in case a similar opportunity came up again. Keeping it polite and to the point, not rudely accusing them of ignoring you...
Mate it's not that deep you need to act a bit more mature - I've applied to this insight day for banking back in end of November, which is to be held on the 20th of February and they still haven't got back to me! But do I just email them and say omg why haven't you replied I'm so upset pls you should have told me? No, there's no point and it ruins it for you in the future if you want to join them/contact them again. Also, most companies get over a 100 applications per place, so why is there a need for you to act so pissy and send them an email? Why are you so special that they have to email you? As you can see from my thing, a month is nothing in the real world, minimum is 3/4 weeks when you apply online imo, so take this as an experience and please don't do this again lol.
As ive already said I did send them an email before asking for feedback, and I got nothing.
Have you ever heard of the CC feature in email? you can send the same email to lots of people, its very clever.

What is the point of sending a blanket rejection e-mail, not even referring to anyone by name? Especially when they said they'd only contact successful candidates?

Plus you either have to CC everyone, in which case you're just distributing peoples e-mail adresses to complete strangers, or make a dedicated mailing list for an e-mail you'll only send once. Both just take too long and are unneccessary when you've already stated you'll only contact the successful candidates.

You've gained nothing by doing this and just demonstrated immaturity to a potential employer (who may now mention you to other employers), as numerous people on here have told you.
Firstly, yes, far too much-take this as a learning experience, no company would employ anyone even if they were perfect for the job, if they ever sent an email like that.
you really shouldn't have sent the email
first things I learnt getting a graduate job are;
1-HR can ALWAYS be counted on being useless. It's a fact
2-No-one owes you anything

These are hard things to hear and to learn-we spend our childhoods being told that being a good person will reap rewards. It doesn't. I've seen horrible people becoming successful, rich etc and the kindest, sweetest people having to borrow money to pay the rent. It's horrible-while there are genuinely kind considerate people out there who will help, many MANY more won't-out of pure selfishness. Sorry to tell you but get used to it.

I've broken down your post and commented on specific parts;

"I made a lot of effort in my application"-who hasn't?? I had to wait 6 months to stop doing shop work and actually get a graduate job, I have tonnes of experience, a DBS, a 2:1 from a decent college but for whatever reason I have only just got a job in a local college. They don't want to hear this. That's like someone writing I know this exam essay is rubbish but I really did work hard and revise all year! I need 70% so what do you say? This is just as ridiculous as that.

"I was at least expecting a standard rejection email, as a matter of common courtesy." Don't expect anything from a potential employer. I heard a great quote when job hunting "you don't have the job until you get your first pay check" yes there are people who exploit you and you do the work but aren't paid properly-FYI small claims courts are free and if you have a clear case with evidence you will often win. But for everything else, the employer has total control, You've just demonstrated that you throw your toys out of the pram and that they should never employ you.

"I have been a loyal Volunteer" In a letter like this, this is irrelevant-leave this with the CV

"the cold weather and lack of heating" this is not HRs problem, Email someone else about this-what were you hoping to gain from this comment?

"my emails have so far gone completely ignored" see above

"it wouldn't have taken you much time" you are right and it is frustrating, but again it's not their problem and they owe you nothing.

"I believe I could have been a good employeeI" firstly 'good' is always a terrible adjective-sorry English Tutor habits! secondly, who cares? you're not exactly going to write-you're right! I am a theif anyway...

"will not put myself through the trouble of applying again". when they read this they are probably so p***ed off at this point they are thinking YES please DON'T!!

The world of work is cut throat, hard and brutal, and emails like this are best drafted in fury, deleted and replaced with something like

"Dear Sir/Madam
RE: Application for the role of...

I recently applied for the role of X but have had no response, I have attached a copy of my application form in case it has been lost, misplaced etc.

If it has not been lost and I did not qualify for an interview I would welcome any constructive criticism for any future applications I make.

I continue to enjoy my role as a volunteer in your organisation and am enthusiastic about the work of this organisation.

I appreciate you are very busy and I may not receive a response,

Many thanks
Your name.

You've achieved everything you've wanted to;
you've raged,
you've asked about your application,
you've asked how you can improve
most importantly you haven't shot yourself in the foot.

We've all done daft things out of a sense of injustice/rage when we are young-the best thing to do now is to leave well alone and learn from this mistake

I once called a teacher out for bullying when I was 18 working as a teaching assistant in front of the entire department and our boss.
she hated me until she left and many others distanced themselves.
I should have gone to our boss and asked him to keep an eye out/made a formal complaint

I worked there for three years and luckily it was proven to be true and after making friends with many in the department-it took me AGES to gain their trust-I managed to apologise and they laughed and commented that I have really matured and grown up since they first met me-my boss is now a good friend and I relied on him when getting my latest job for a reference.

I was VERY lucky, you just have to accept you haven't been this time, learn from it and accept it is a part of growing up.

sorry to sound so harsh I just want to help x
After a month of waiting and no answer despite follow up email, I sent them this:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I applied about a month ago for the position of _______ at ________. Having not heard anything back in weeks, I then followed up with an email, sent on the _______, politely inquiring what the situation was. I still haven't heard anything back. I didn't assume that I would be shortlisted, however, I made a lot of effort in my application and I was at least expecting a standard rejection email, as a matter of common courtesy.
I have been a loyal Volunteer at [the same organization] for over a year, though I have been finding it difficult to come in lately due to the cold weather and lack of heating in the [place of volunteering]. However, I find it disheartening that my emails have so far gone completely ignored. I didn't want to appear to be too persistent and so I have avoided emailing you for several weeks. I understand that you probably received hundreds of applications, however it wouldn't have taken you much time to simply write a standard rejection letter to send to all the unsuccessful candidates. I was excited at the possibility of working as a ________ and I believe I could have been a good employee, but your lack of response has put me off. Should more vacancies arise in _______, I will not put myself through the trouble of applying again.

Yours sincerely,

x

Too much?

You asked for opinions, so I'm giving you one.

It sounds bratty and like you're having a tempter tantrum because they didn't do what you decided they should have done. It's the written equivalent of stamping your feet and saying I'm never going to be your friend again.

What in earth were you thinking - did you have some sort of moment? Personnel tend to remember the crazy, green-ink communications like this, and you honestly won't have done yourself any favours here. Recruitment is quite a a close-knit business.
Original post by Reality Check
You asked for opinions, so I'm giving you one.

It sounds bratty and like you're having a tempter tantrum because they didn't do what you decided they should have done. It's the written equivalent of stamping your feet and saying I'm never going to be your friend again.

What in earth were you thinking - did you have some sort of moment? Personnel tend to remember the crazy, green-ink communications like this, and you honestly won't have done yourself any favours here. Recruitment is quite a a close-knit business.

If youre going to give such a harsh opinion can you at least explain why? Point to things ive said you disagree with?
Its hardly crazy, its not as though I said to them **** you lol.
Let's face it most of you people have thought about sending an email like this, you just don't have the guts. Youll spend your lives being run down, chewed and spat on and employers will think that that's fine because hey, nobody would dare to complain.
Reply 56
Let's face it most of you people have thought about sending an email like this, you just don't have the guts. Youll spend your lives being run down, chewed and spat on and employers will think that that's fine because hey, nobody would dare to complain.

Remind me what your current job is?
When i first started looking for a part time job I applied to 16 places. The places at interviewed me, some said 'we'll call you no matter the outcome' but they never did. It's not personal, your email makes it sound as if it is specifically you they have wronged. As others have pointed out places aren't obliged to send out rejection emails, and as they said they'd email successful applicants you can assume you got rejected from that - or they could be behind.

There's always something you can improve on, you can probably tell there's a skill/aspect/cv part that maybe wasn't as convincing as you'd like it to have been. Just because they haven't sent you any feedback doesn't mean you can't reflect on your own application.

The email doesn't do you any favours - especially the last sentence or two, it just sounds as if you can't deal with the real world and are throwing all your toys out of the pram because this didn't go your way. The world doesn't revolve around you, it's not personal, employers probably have one hundred and one other things which are more important to do. It can be frustrating, but that's life. Just take this on the chin and move on

Now you really are showing yourself to be immature and have a chip on your shoulder plus an attitude issue. You need to take a step back and learn from the experience.

Sending e-mails phrased in the way you did was not advisable because they dont care and if you want them to consider you for employment then you went about it in the wrong way.

Your application might not have been deal with because:

They have been snowed under.
They are busy and everyone has been put back.
Someone has been ill.
They are just poor and havent informed you.

Telling them off in the way you attempted to do would achieve nothing positive for you. No idea how old you are or how long you have been looking, but its very important to look after your mental health and you avoid getting paranoid, downhearted and defensive.

Notch it off to experience and get on with the next applications. Its difficult to keep going, but if you keep doing the right things, then you will create opportunities for yourself. next time if you are unsure chase it up via e-mail and if that doesnt work , then phone is fine.

If ut were me then id just ask a mod to remove the thread because a lot of people will enjoy telling you, you are wrong and imo that isnt going to do you any good.
Original post by dragonkeeper999
And what exactly did you hope to gain from this? While yes they may have intended to let successful candidates know they were successful within a couple of weeks, they may still have put you on a short waiting list in case one of those they offered the job to couldn't accept it. Also, it's incredibly common not to get even a generic rejection email - I've applied to at least 50 jobs/ internships/ voluntary placements during my time at uni and maybe received at the most 10 rejection emails. It's also entirely possible that they did send you such an email, but it got filtered out by your email's SPAM filters or the like, you can't just assume that all the blame is on them.

It's a bit late now, but what you should have done instead is send them a polite email saying you are disappointed you were not offered the job, but would you be able to kindly have some feedback on your application. Having volunteered with the organisation for over a year you are really passionate about what they stand for, so you would be grateful if they would keep your CV on file in case a similar opportunity came up again. Keeping it polite and to the point, not rudely accusing them of ignoring you...

It didn't get lost in the spam ffs, that's like saying my invitation got lost in the mail. Accusing them of ignoring me? They ARE ignoring me. I thought I was being very civil and contained considering.

Latest

Trending

Trending