The Student Room Group

EU national but not been in the EU since 6 years. (Help)

So I'm in a bit of a mess. I sent my UCAS off on 14th January and kept my fee status as EU national, since I'm born in Portugal and have a Portuguese passport. I didn't know about the 3 year residency rule AT ALL. I'm in India right now, and haven't been to Portugal in almost 6 years. (I came here in 2011). I remember putting my permanent residence as India, when filling my UCAS.

Well, long story short, one of the unis contacted me and sent me a fee assessment enquiry. That's when I read about the 3 year residency rule. So I filled it up, attached my passport details, and gave my reason for my absence from the EU. I didn't come here by choice, I was forced to, or else I wouldn't be able to continue my studies. (I mentioned everything in details, about why I was forced etc.)

Now this is really bad. I feel like I'm in a very bad position. I have relatives (both UK and EU nationals) working in the UK as well as relatives in Portugal, who are Portuguese nationals. I don't know if they'll come in any use for my cause, but it's very unfair, because I really feel like I deserve home fees since I left the EU not by choice, but was forced to.

I know that it's each university's decision now, and although only one uni has contacted me till now, I'm sure the rest will too. I want to know how badly screwed I am and what my chances are. If I'm classified as an overseas student, I won't be able to take any loans and I won't be able to come study in the UK at all. I've been planning it ever since I left the EU, to come back, and now it feels like it's not going to happen, it's so unfair.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by S4G4R
So I'm in a bit of a mess. I sent my UCAS off on 14th January and kept my fee status as EU national, since I'm born in Portugal and have a Portuguese passport. I didn't know about the 3 year residency rule AT ALL. I'm in India right now, and haven't been to Portugal in almost 6 years. (I came here in 2011). I remember putting my permanent residence as India, when filling my UCAS.

Well, long story short, one of the unis contacted me and sent me a fee assessment enquiry. That's when I read about the 3 year residency rule. So I filled it up, attached my passport details, and gave my reason for my absence from the EU. I didn't come here by choice, I was forced to, or else I wouldn't be able to continue my studies. (I mentioned everything in details, about why I was forced etc.)

Now this is really bad. I feel like I'm in a very bad position. I have relatives (both UK and EU nationals) working in the UK as well as relatives in Portugal, who are Portuguese nationals. I don't know if they'll come in any use for my cause, but it's very unfair, because I really feel like I deserve home fees since I left the EU not by choice, but was forced to.

I know that it's each university's decision now, and although only one uni has contacted me till now, I'm sure the rest will too. I want to know how badly screwed I am and what my chances are. If I'm classified as an overseas student, I won't be able to take any loans and I won't be able to come study in the UK at all. I've been planning it ever since I left the EU, to come back, and now it feels like it's not going to happen, it's so unfair.

When you say forced to what do you mean? It's incredibly unlikely you ll get any funding.
Reply 2
My dad lost his job in Portugal, and we were forced to move out. I couldn't stay there on my own.
I've already received an offer from the same uni, and yeah unfortunately they gave me to overseas fee status. I can't even take loans from India because I'm not an Indian national.
This is really unfair and frustrating.. I don't see any options for me now but to wait for the remaining 4 unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by S4G4R
My dad lost his job in Portugal, and we were forced to move out. I couldn't stay there on my own.
I've already received an offer from the same uni, and yeah unfortunately they gave me to overseas fee status. I can't even take loans from India because I'm not an Indian national.
This is really unfair and frustrating.. I don't see any options for me now but to wait for the remaining 4 unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They will all consider you to be an overseas student in this situation.
Original post by S4G4R

Unless you have a parent working in the UK then I'm afraid you'll almost certainly be classified as international. Remember that charging EU residents home fees is a very generous policy from the UK and not a right.
Reply 5
Thank you for your replies. I can understand better now, and I guess my only option will be to either somehow take a loan from here (very difficult as I'm not an Indian national) or just not come.
What about other EU countries that are very generous when it comes to fees and that offer a great education? Sweden or Germany are just two examples. You could look for English-taught courses there.
Your situation ist difficult, but being angry that it is not fair won't get you anywhere. Try to find alternatives, I'm sure that there are some.
Reply 7
I have the some problem with you.I have studied in abroad . But I went to EU in summers in 2015-2016-2017(september).But before 2015 I went to EU in 2007.I am waiting the result at the moment.If the university takes me as a national student can I get student loan ? I have a residence in EU between 1994-2017 but went there just in summers.
Reply 8
Unfortunately you won't be eligible for home fees (that excludes that loan as well).

Original post by jelly1000
Unless you have a parent working in the UK then I'm afraid you'll almost certainly be classified as international. Remember that charging EU residents home fees is a very generous policy from the UK and not a right.

It is a right, the UK has no choice atm.
Original post by pisyco
I have the some problem with you.I have studied in abroad . But I went to EU in summers in 2015-2016-2017(september).But before 2015 I went to EU in 2007.I am waiting the result at the moment.If the university takes me as a national student can I get student loan ? I have a residence in EU between 1994-2017 but went there just in summers.

You have to provide evidence your absence was temporary and you always intended to return to your permanent EU residence (3 years before the start of your course)..
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
You have to provide evidence your absence was temporary and you always intended to return to your permanent EU residence (3 years before the start of your course)..

Well between 2007-2015 I did not go to EU because I did not have money for buying flight tickets but from 2000-2007 I went there regularly.I know Its an unusual situation .
Original post by pisyco
Well between 2007-2015 I did not go to EU because I did not have money for buying flight tickets but from 2000-2007 I went there regularly.I know Its an unusual situation .

Its not unusual for SFE. You just have to convince them your absence was temporary and you were always intending to return home. That looks like a tough task considering the dates you have given.
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
Its not unusual for SFE. You just have to convince them your absence was temporary and you were always intending to return home. That looks like a tough task considering the dates you have given.

Is it possible that the university which I applied sends me an international student offer instead of Home And SFE gives me EU student loan ? Do they work seperately ?
Original post by pisyco
Is it possible that the university which I applied sends me an international student offer instead of Home And SFE gives me EU student loan ? Do they work seperately ?

You would need to contact the Uni. Whether they regard you as home or international would probably be along with the lines of how SFE assess you.

If SFE give you a loan then its because they are satisfied with your residence status and that should also satisfy the uni.
Reply 14
So far I've received offers from 3 unis, all of them have considered me as overseas for fee purposes. I've sent 3 different fee assessment forms but to no avail.
It's kind of funny. According to special provision in UKCISA, you either need :
1)UK national family member currently in the EU or
2)EU national family member currently in the UK

Whereas I have:
1)Family members in the EU (EU nationals)
2)Family members in the UK (UK nationals)

God, what kind of rules are these? I'm just going to accept the fact that I won't be considered an EU student, but gosh. It's a bit extreme, and the conditions are so weird. I hope I can find a reliable bank here in India for student loans who will give loans to a non-Indian resident, of course only if I really do accept my offers, because right now I'm so confused.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by pisyco

If the university sends you an international student offer, you cannot apply for an EU student loan because the fees for an international student are more. So even if SFE gives you Home/EU status, in the end it depends on the uni. Where do you stay right now by the way?
Reply 16
Original post by S4G4R
If the university sends you an international student offer, you cannot apply for an EU student loan because the fees for an international student are more. So even if SFE gives you Home/EU status, in the end it depends on the uni. Where do you stay right now by the way?

I live in Luxembourg at the moment.
Reply 17
Original post by pisyco
I live in Luxembourg at the moment.

Okay. Good luck with your application. Hope we both get what we want. Have you heard back from all unis?
Reply 18
Original post by S4G4R
Okay. Good luck with your application. Hope we both get what we want. Have you heard back from all unis?

When I get the results I will write here No worries .
Reply 19
Original post by S4G4R

I got an offer but they decided to take me as an international student what a decision !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending