The Student Room Group

Law at Cambridge?

I really want to study Law at Cambridge, but I am worried I will not have a competitive application at all

I feel like my GCSE Grades are not good enough.. These are my grades:

RE - A*
English Lit - A
English Lang - A
History - B
Design and Technology (Graphic Design) - B
Welsh (Second Language) - B
BTEC Science - Merit (B)
Mathematics - D
French - D
Media Studies - D

For AS Levels I am studying: History, English Lit, Religious Education (RE) and the compulsory Welsh Baccalaureate.

I am worried that I do not have enough A's to submit a competitive application, and that the D grades in French and Media Studies will not look very good for Law. I am aiming to get A*AAA in my A Levels.. is this too unrealistic of me?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by spud23
I really want to study Law at Cambridge, but I am worried I will not have a competitive application at all

I feel like my GCSE Grades are not good enough.. These are my grades:

RE - A*
English Lit - A
English Lang - A
History - B
Design and Technology (Graphic Design) - B
Welsh (Second Language) - B
BTEC Science - Merit (B)
Mathematics - C
French - D
Media Studies - D

For AS Levels I am studying: History, English Lit, Religious Education (RE) and the compulsory Welsh Baccalaureate.

I am worried that I do not have enough A's to submit a competitive application, and that the D grades in French and Media Studies will not look very good for Law. I am aiming to get A*AAA in my A Levels.. is this too unrealistic of me?

Realistically it will be a stretch. But if you are on target for A*AA then you have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. You also have 4 other choices on your UCAS.

If you are unsuccessful then a post A-level (ie gap year) application with (ideally) A*A*A achieved will make you much more competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
you need like 6+ A*s lol, not even a single B. you have Cs and Ds
Reply 3
Original post by dft

No you don't. There's no minimum GCSE requirement for Law at Cambridge.

Yes, most applicants do have a string of A*s and As but they aren't a requirement. And other aspects of an application are as, if not more, important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Realistically it will be a stretch. But if you are on target for A*AA then you have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. You also have 4 other choices on your UCAS.

If you are unsuccessful then a post A-level (ie gap year) application with (ideally) A*A*A achieved will make you much more competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: I am prepared to work hard for awesome grades in AS this year
Reply 5
Original post by dft

I know, I was just wondering if getting really good A Level grades would improve my application and chances :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by spud23
Thank you :smile: I am prepared to work hard for awesome grades in AS this year

That will help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending