The Student Room Group

Why does everyone find Chemistry (A-Level) so hard?

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Because it's hard.

It's hard to apply the concepts idk, it's just hard you'd have to take it to find out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
Because it's hard.

It's hard to apply the concepts idk, it's just hard you'd have to take it to find out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm..I do take A Level Chem (OCR Spec A) and am currently doing AS. I got an A at GCSE Chem with AQA and was close to the A*. Chem AS is alright...it's not extremely extremely hard, some things may be challenging/tricky at first but eventually you get it..it's not easy but everyone complains its super hard..the hardest A-Level.
Reply 3
Original post by sulaimanali
Hmm..I do take A Level Chem (OCR Spec A) and am currently doing AS. I got an A at GCSE Chem with AQA and was close to the A*. Chem AS is alright...it's not extremely extremely hard, some things may be challenging/tricky at first but eventually you get it..it's not easy but everyone complains its super hard..the hardest A-Level.

Because the new specification is hard, especially the AQA one, hence it had I think the lowest grade boundaries last year.

Lol I do the same exam board as you except I'm in A2, I got an A* in Chem at GCSE with minimal effort - and I'm one of those people that complains it's super hard, Physics is harder tho - although A2 gets better dw. And not everyone gets it, I never really got most of it tbh hence why it's hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol I do the same exam board as you except I'm in A2, I got an A* in Chem at GCSE with minimal effort - and I'm one of those people that complains it's super hard, Physics is harder tho - although A2 gets better dw. And not everyone gets it, I never really got most of it tbh hence why it's hard

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh cool ... what a coincidence! Same exam board. Well done for getting A* at GCSE. I do Maths and Bio as well. Don't like Physics A-Level. Our school department for Physics is like shattered glass.
Original post by Oragon
Because the new specification is hard, especially the AQA one, hence it had I think the lowest grade boundaries last year.

Hmm..yeah, i agree the new spec is diff and kinda hard. I've also heard how hard AQA Chem is..tbh I never really liked AQA...at GCSE, science was a journey with AQA! So happy our school got rid of them for A-Level Chem!

Calm down, you're only at AS, it gets harder at A2. Although with exam technique, it's not that bad (once you understand/remember everything).
Reply 8
Hmm..yeah, i agree the new spec is diff and kinda hard. I've also heard how hard AQA Chem is..tbh I never really liked AQA...at GCSE, science was a journey with AQA! So happy our school got rid of them for A-Level Chem!

yeah even other chemistry teachers at other sixth forms say AQA chem at A-level is ridiculous hence they didn't choose it . :frown: But the past papers for the old papers were pretty straightforward...ugh

Give it a couple months.
Oh cool ... what a coincidence! Same exam board. Well done for getting A* at GCSE. I do Maths and Bio as well. Don't like Physics A-Level. Our school department for Physics is like shattered glass.

Yeah exactly! I do maths and bio too :five: I never did physics but it's notorious for being the hardest subject out there, I did history last year. So you do physics too? And aww man, that's a shame about your physics department, hate it when that happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ze Witcher
Calm down, you're only at AS, it gets harder at A2. Although with exam technique, it's not that bad (once you understand/remember everything).

Lol..I'm calm. i'm just wondering what are other people's opinions. I agree exam technique and remembering content is the key.
Original post by Oragon
yeah even other chemistry teachers at other sixth forms say AQA chem at A-level is ridiculous hence they didn't choose it . :frown: But the past papers for the old papers were pretty straightforward...ugh

Yeah...AQA are just ****. I agree that the old papers were more straightforward..same for my exam board for A-level Chem..OCR. F321 papers were alright. Now with this new spec..they are just so ...
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I didn't find it that difficult if I'm being honest, but that's probably because it was my favourite subject and I did a lot of background reading. It was also one of those subjects that clicked for me. All the other girls in my class (I was the only guy that did chemistry) found it incredibly difficult though, some even cried about it.

That's good then that you didn't find it hard...well done for doing background reading. I'm sure lots have cried over it!
Original post by Cereidee
Give it a couple months.

:colone::colonhash:
Yeah exactly! I do maths and bio too :five: I never did physics but it's notorious for being the hardest subject out there, I did history last year. So you do physics too? And aww man, that's a shame about your physics department, hate it when that happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(high five) :smile:

I don't do Physics - i agree its hard and quite boring. History is awesome! Yeah our department is so poor..I think it's the worst department in the school out of all the popular subjects and good subjects people take.

Chemistry is one of the most difficult a level subjects as it has a huge amount of content to revise for the exam.
By the sounds of things you haven't experienced a real A level chemistry exam, which are intense. When you've finished the course content and start properly revising with 3 other subjects you realise how hard it is and how forgetting tiny little details can lose you lots of marks.
I got an A in GCSE and a B in AS, so personally I did find it difficult however,I know people who got A*s and A's in GCSE who got D's and E's in AS.
Thoughts?

Because the concepts can be difficult to understand (I'm looking at you NMR :unimpressed:), because there's a lot of organic chemistry to cover etc
Original post by Science Finger
Chemistry is one of the most difficult a level subjects as it has a huge amount of content to revise for the exam.
By the sounds of things you haven't experienced a real A level chemistry exam, which are intense. When you've finished the course content and start properly revising with 3 other subjects you realise how hard it is and how forgetting tiny little details can lose you lots of marks.
I got an A in GCSE and a B in AS, so personally I did find it difficult however,I know people who got A*s and A's in GCSE who got D's and E's in AS.

I agree that there's alot of content. I've done past papers and sometimes they get annoying but there not too bad. I think it is different once I start doing everything together.

I've also seen people flop like you've said.
Yeahh..with organic you need SOO much practise!

Quick Reply

Latest