The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sameehaiqbal
They don't owe you anything I'm afraid. They probably found someone better to hire and you should just get over it and find another job, but this time, don't send an aggressive e-mail if you don't hear back...

How was it aggressive? :s if I wanted to be aggressive I would have said **** you. I didn't.
Original post by sherlockfan
How was it aggressive? :s if I wanted to be aggressive I would have said **** you. I didn't.

You don't need to swear at someone to seem aggressive. You were aggressive because you were trying to "prove a point" and teach them a lesson. It's not going to get you anywhere or get you a job.

do you want a medal for not swearing and using offensive language to an organisation??
I agree with the gist of what everyone else is saying. This was a very childish thing to do which will have achieved precisely nothing other than to close certain doors to you.
You don't need to swear at someone to seem aggressive. You were aggressive because you were trying to "prove a point" and teach them a lesson. It's not going to get you anywhere or get you a job.

Trying to prove a point doesnt mean you're being agressive. It's just like if I was complaining of bad customer service. Im trying to make my point in a non agressive way. What's the point in communicating at all unless we're trying to make a point.
Trying to prove a point doesnt mean you're being agressive. It's just like if I was complaining of bad customer service. Im trying to make my point in a non agressive way. What's the point in communicating at all unless we're trying to make a point.

Why do you even need an unsuccessful e-mail? Can't you just assume you're unsuccessful at this point and move on?
Original post by Lauren1498x
do you want a medal for not swearing and using offensive language to an organisation??

No, did I ask for one? Now you're being agressive.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I agree with the gist of what everyone else is saying. This was a very childish thing to do which will have achieved precisely nothing other than to close certain doors to you.

At least i will achieve closure if they reply.
So sour.

A month isn't long, don't expect to find any decent job with that attitude either.
(edited 7 years ago)
At least i will achieve closure if they reply.

They're not going to reply. They're just going to remember you for all the wrong reasons - a bad attitude and a potentially disastrous employee.
Why do you even need an unsuccessful e-mail? Can't you just assume you're unsuccessful at this point and move on?

Because I spent hours working on the application and I think they need to learn to appreciate the effort that some people put into it. And I've given many hours to the organisation working for free, the least they could have done is answer when I try to follow up on an application, which I had already done with no success. I've dedicated hours to them so they can give me a few minutes of their time.
(edited 7 years ago)
No, did I ask for one? Now you're being agressive.

I'm not being aggressive. You've said things along the lines of 'why do people think I'm being aggressive? I haven't used offensive language' etc the fact you need to mention that just implies a lack of self awareness. 🤔
Original post by Reality Check
They're not going to reply. They're just going to remember you for all the wrong reasons - a bad attitude and a potentially disastrous employee.

Well if that's going to be their attitude ill be glad not to work for them.
Also you said I was being abusive. How?
Because I spent hours working on the application and I think they need to learn to appreciate the effort that some people put into it. And I've given many hours to the organisation working for free, the least they could have done is answer when I try to follow up on an application, which I had already done with no success. I've dedicated hours to them so they can give me a few minutes of their time.

So? People spend hours on their personal statement, have the right grades, and the relevant work experience and still get rejected from university. You can't just e-mail them the email you sent to this company and expect them to feel sorry for you. People don't owe you anything and the minute you start to accept that, that's when you will stop getting hurt over trivial things. They don't care that you put so much effort into the application if someone else's application is better. Companies have 100's of applications to go through and they don't have time feeling bad for people and writing unsuccessful e-mails. What you should've done instead is ask for feedback, as in, why they rejected you, and worked on that and improved yourself for the next job.
Original post by Lauren1498x
I'm not being aggressive. You've said things along the lines of 'why do people think I'm being aggressive? I haven't used offensive language' etc the fact you need to mention that just implies a lack of self awareness. 🤔

You haven't explained how im being agressive.
Thanks though :borat: very useful. Fyi, do you want a medal for that is an agressive, confrontational type of question. Not to mention stupid.
(edited 7 years ago)
So? People spend hours on their personal statement, have the right grades, and the relevant work experience and still get rejected from university. You can't just e-mail them the email you sent to this company and expect them to feel sorry for you. People don't owe you anything and the minute you start to accept that, that's when you will stop getting hurt over trivial things. They don't care that you put so much effort into the application if someone else's application is better. Companies have 100's of applications to go through and they don't have time feeling bad for people and writing unsuccessful e-mails. What you should've done instead is ask for feedback, as in, why they rejected you, and worked on that and improved yourself for the next job.

And as ive said countless times including the op, the first thing i did when I didn't hear back was to ask them for feedback. They didn't answer me that time and I got fed up.
And as ive said countless times including the op, the first thing i did when I didn't hear back was to ask them for feedback. They didn't answer me that time and I got fed up.

Well then move on. There was just no need for that e-mail
Original post by Reality Check
Do you think (honestly, not being silly now) that the attitude you're displaying here is congruent with getting a job? Who, in the end, is that going to affect most? The employers who are *missing out on employing you, or you?

You are abusive towards people. You lash out when you feel you feel people are disagreeing strongly with what you say. Just read some of your replies.

What posts are you reading? Disagreeing with people doesn't constitute abuse. Im not the villain in this piece no matter what you say. You can't point to a single thing I've said on this thread that's abusive.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't think there is anything wrong with the email. Its okay to complain if you have a grievance as long as you do it politely. The email isn't rude.

I don't see the point of wasting your time on it though. The employer doesn't care what you think and it won't change anything. I don't get why people care so much about getting a rejection. Whether you get a rejection or don't hear anything, you haven't got a job either way. Just take the emotion out of it and get on to applying for the next one.
What posts are you reading? Disagreeing with people doesn't constitute abuse. Im not the villain in this piece no matter what you say.

So you sent an email to vent at a random person who doesn't owe you anything about the fact that an organisation which doesn't owe you anything hasn't replied to you within what you personally (and unrealistically) consider a satisfactory time frame, you've decided to show off about it to strangers on the internet, and now you're totally ignoring what the bulk of the said strangers are saying to you.

No, you seem very grown-up and well-adjusted.

Latest

Trending

Trending