The Student Room Group

Why does everyone find Chemistry (A-Level) so hard?

Scroll to see replies

It's very different to GCSE Chemistry and that comes as a shock to many.

There's lots and lots of stuff, particularly on the organic side, that you need to remember. And get right.
Its not hard if you learn it.
Too much stuff to remember.. and those wretched mark schemes
Original post by sulaimanali
(high five) :smile:

I don't do Physics - i agree its hard and quite boring. History is awesome! Yeah our department is so poor..I think it's the worst department in the school out of all the popular subjects and good subjects people take.

History was HARD!!! It was harder than fkin chemistry, hence why I dropped it (that and I need chem for medicine, unfortunately...) wow, that's really bad especially as physics is so hard.

What are yiu nterested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by k_popper
Too much stuff to remember.. and those wretched mark schemes

YESS! Screw the mark schemes..
Reply 25
Hmm..I do take A Level Chem (OCR Spec A) and am currently doing AS. I got an A at GCSE Chem with AQA and was close to the A*. Chem AS is alright...it's not extremely extremely hard, some things may be challenging/tricky at first but eventually you get it..it's not easy but everyone complains its super hard..the hardest A-Level.

lol I got AA*A in triple science and ended up with a C in chem A level in OCR spec B
It's toooooo hard, esp if you're doing other highly demanding subjects alongside it

brace yourself, winter is coming
Original post by 111davey1
Its not hard if you learn it.

Lol :colonhash:
Original post by unprinted
It's very different to GCSE Chemistry and that comes as a shock to many.

There's lots and lots of stuff, particularly on the organic side, that you need to remember. And get right.

Agreed..but some concepts are similar/same to GCSE ...I think that depends on the exam board. It's more about silly mistakes as well I guess!
Lol :colonhash:

Im not laughing
The exam questions try to trip you up and trick you. It's like they want us all to fail.
Original post by nomophobia
History was HARD!!! It was harder than fkin chemistry, hence why I dropped it (that and I need chem for medicine, unfortunately...) wow, that's really bad especially as physics is so hard.

What are yiu nterested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm..Yeah I've heard its kinda hard at A-Level but overall the subject is interesting and good. I loved it at GCSE (AQA History B).

Physics is just awful.

Career-wise...targetting Dentistry. you?

My parents want me to go into that so I am...personally i like drama but its not a foolproof career..wasn't sure what I'd totally do if I didn't pursue dentistry..I liked other things like law, forensic science, teaching etc..
Im not laughing

Neither am I.
Original post by z33
lol I got AA*A in triple science and ended up with a C in chem A level in OCR spec B
It's toooooo hard, esp if you're doing other highly demanding subjects alongside it

brace yourself, winter is coming

Hmm..I got AAA at triple science GCSE. Doing AS at the moment. Yeah it gets tough when you do the "hard" subjects.

Lool..
Tip:Take subjects with 'studies' on the end.
Original post by k_popper
The exam questions try to trip you up and trick you. It's like they want us all to fail.

Yupp!
Tip:Take subjects with 'studies' on the end.

:biggrin:
Original post by nomophobia
Lol I do the same exam board as you except I'm in A2, I got an A* in Chem at GCSE with minimal effort - and I'm one of those people that complains it's super hard, Physics is harder tho - although A2 gets better dw. And not everyone gets it, I never really got most of it tbh hence why it's hard

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you do physics? I find chem harder.
Hmm..Yeah I've heard its kinda hard at A-Level but overall the subject is interesting and good. I loved it at GCSE (AQA History B).

Physics is just awful.

Career-wise...targetting Dentistry. you?

My parents want me to go into that so I am...personally i like drama but its not a foolproof career..wasn't sure what I'd totally do if I didn't pursue dentistry..I liked other things like law, forensic science, teaching etc..

Ahhh yeah fair enough, the content is very interesting and I had an amazing teacher last year but I had so much work to do for it, it was unbelievable.

Medicine - I got interviews and now just waiting for offers.

Hmmmm, I'm sure you've heard this a million times before but there's no point in applying for a career you don't like - especially something like dentistry which is competitive and difficult to get in and imo it's boring. Just go for whatever career path you want, if you're not sure, look at shadowing/summer schools/ volunteering opportunities.

My parents wanted me to do dentistry too but I didn't want to and my parents weren't too happy when I decided to go for medicine but they're your parents, they should ideally support you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If anyone knows, what is it about AQA chem that makes it so awful? I'm currently studying it at AS and hearing everyone say it is horrible has got me curious! :tongue:

(and I also want to know what I'm in for :biggrin:)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I was the only guy that did chemistry

You can't be serious. :eek: Was there any particular reason for that or was it just coincidence?

Hear hear. NMR was my Waterloo.

Quick Reply

Latest