The Student Room Group

Confussed about GCSEs help a old timer out..

I will cut a long story short, I'm in my 20s I left school with no GCSEs for the simple fact I was planning on living a life of crime and felt they wouldn't be useful. Well my criminal plans came to an end.

Now not having GCSEs has not affected me in the slightest but I want to have them so I can say "I passed GCSE maths and english" however Im confussed about the grading system..am I right in thinking there is no A-U system anymore and its now grade 1-9?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Got Milk
I will cut a long story short, I'm in my 20s I left school with no GCSEs for the simple fact I was planning on living a life of crime and felt they wouldn't be useful. Well my criminal plans came to an end.

Now not having GCSEs has not affected me in the slightest but I want to have them so I can say "I passed GCSE maths and english" however Im confussed about the grading system..am I right in thinking there is no A-U system anymore and its now grade 1-9?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, 9 is the new A* and 1 is the new U I think
1-9, with 9 being A**, then it just goes down.
Currently, you'll only have scales for English and Maths, next year I think, they'll be doing it for all other subjects.
This is crazy this puts me off alot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AeliusSejanus
1-9, with 9 being A**, then it just goes down.
Currently, you'll only have scales for English and Maths, next year I think, they'll be doing it for all other subjects.

Do they still do foundation and higher tier exams or isit just one big exam you score a 1-9 grade on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do they still do foundation and higher tier exams or isit just one big exam you score a 1-9 grade on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

foundation and higher r still a thing
It's now 9-U ( 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, U )

9 = A** (New super grade, really hard to get)
8 = A* (Equivalent to the old A*)
7 = A
6 = B
5 = C ( This is the new 'GCSE Pass' and is harder to get than then previous 'C' grade, which was the old 'GCSE Pass')
4 = D ( This is equivalent to the old 'GCSE Pass' and is no longer considered a pass)
3 = E
2 = F
1 = G
And the 'U' grade doesn't change
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, the GCSEs being sat by Year 11's this year are still A-U, excluding English and Maths which are being graded on the new 9-1 system.
I have no idea why this has been done, but there's nothing to really be done about it. From next year on, all GCSE exams will be graded 9-1.

It may sound like a good idea but it is very confusing for everyone as no one really knows what the grades mean exactly with 9 being considered a very high A* (maybe even a new A** grade) and the rest of the grades from 7 down to 4 being considered almost a mixture of the current grades e.g. A/B or B/C
Reply 8
Original post by Meridian-S
It's now 9-U ( 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, U )

9 = A** (New super grade, really hard to get)
8 = A* (Equivalent to the old A*)
7 = A
6 = B
5 = C ( This is the new 'GCSE Pass' and is harder to get than then previous 'C' grade, which was the old 'GCSE Pass':wink:
4 = D ( This is equivalent to the old 'GCSE Pass' and is no longer considered a pass)
3 = E
2 = F
1 = G
And the 'U' grade doesn't change

A 4 is definitely considered a pass, many colleges accept a minimum of a 4 (low C) in English and Mathematics. DfE said 5 is a 'good pass', but a 4 is still considered good enough for employers, colleges and universities.
Original post by Quizlet
A 4 is definitely considered a pass, many colleges accept a minimum of a 4 (low C) in English and Mathematics. DfE said 5 is a 'good pass', but a 4 is still considered good enough for employers, colleges and universities.

Huh, strange. My school said that a 5 is needed for a GCSE pass, maybe with entry requirements it's a different story, but for all the A-Level, and some GCSE subjects, you need at least a 5/6 in Maths and English.
Original post by Meridian-S
Huh, strange. My school said that a 5 is needed for a GCSE pass, maybe with entry requirements it's a different story, but for all the A-Level, and some GCSE subjects, you need at least a 5/6 in Maths and English.

Ah, at my school a 4 equates to a C (old level 2 pass). However, I guess to be on the safe side, a 5 is a definite pass.
They're trying to push up the standard without anyone noticing, so all old Cs and Bs will be spread out across 4, 5 and 6, but 5 is now the 'strong pass' that they want. Everyone who got an A or A* before should get 7, 8 or 9 with only the top 20% of A/A* students getting a 9.

Quick Reply

Latest