Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ss2012
I am wondering how you came to this conclusion:colondollar:

its well known :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by ibby1995
its well known :smile:

The mother tongue of Somalians isnt arabic though, many don't understand it and once they do speak it it isn't very clear. Also the majority of Arabic speaking countries are in the middle east and some in north Africa Somalia is far off that in terms of location.
Reply 22
Original post by ss2012
The mother tongue of Somalians isnt arabic though, many don't understand it and once they do speak it it isn't very clear. Also the majority of Arabic speaking countries are in the middle east and some in north Africa Somalia is far off that in terms of location.

Wrong. :smile: Majority of Arabic speaking countries are in Africa. :smile:

Wrong again, Somalia is less than 100 miles from Yemen. :smile:
Original post by emerald7770
Yeah but what is that one? Like what ethnicity speaks Modern Standard Arabic?

No one speaks Modern Standard Arabic. Children grow up learning their own dialect at home and then when they get older they go to school and learn Modern Standard Arabic which is used for all reading and writing. Many will tell you that it's best to learn MSA on that basis because everyone understands it, which is true, but if you were to go to an Arab country and start speaking MSA, many people would probably find it quite funny and reply to you in their dialect anyway. All in all, it depends on what you want to learn Arabic for. If it's for religious or academic reasons, then yes, MSA is what you should be learning. But if it's for leisure, then I'd go with a dialect. In my view, the most commonly understood dialect is the Egyptian one and the resources on it are much more widely available than any other, however, the Palestinian/Jordanian dialect is also a good one to learn because it's the closest to MSA.
Reply 24
Wrong. :smile: Majority of Arabic speaking countries are in Africa. :smile:

Wrong again, Somalia is less than 100 miles from Yemen. :smile:

I don't think you get the point that I am making about the middle east, so you're probably not from it and never lived there. I give up lol

have a look at the world map when you get a chance, Somalia might be 100 miles away from Yemen but Yemen isnt in Africa and Somalia is in Africa.

Speaking arabic doesn't make you arab. You're only arab if you have arab roots, and reading the Quran in arabic makes you no expert unless you're capable of carrying a conversation in the language.

Peace :auto::auto:
Original post by Boondock Saint
No one speaks Modern Standard Arabic. Children grow up learning their own dialect at home and then when they get older they go to school and learn Modern Standard Arabic which is used for all reading and writing. Many will tell you that it's best to learn MSA on that basis because everyone understands it, which is true, but if you were to go to an Arab country and start speaking MSA, many people would probably find it quite funny and reply to you in their dialect anyway. All in all, it depends on what you want to learn Arabic for. If it's for religious or academic reasons, then yes, MSA is what you should be learning. But if it's for leisure, then I'd go with a dialect. In my view, the most commonly understood dialect is the Egyptian one and the resources on it are much more widely available than any other, however, the Palestinian/Jordanian dialect is also a good one to learn because it's the closest to MSA.

Ahh alright. Thanks, I understand very well now. I'll learn the Egyptian dialect :smile: and the Palestinian one :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by ss2012
I don't think you get the point that I am making about the middle east, so you're probably not from it and never lived there. I give up lol

have a look at the world map when you get a chance, Somalia might be 100 miles away from Yemen but Yemen isnt in Africa and Somalia is in Africa.

Speaking arabic doesn't make you arab. You're only arab if you have arab roots, and reading the Quran in arabic makes you no expert unless you're capable of carrying a conversation in the language.

Peace :auto::auto:

What point are you making about the middle east? I didn't realise you had to live somewhere to know about it.

So what if it's in Africa? As I said before there are more Arab countries in Africa than Asia. Is Egypt not Arab according to you? haha

What are Arab roots? There's no such thing.

Peace :smile:
What point are you making about the middle east? I didn't realise you had to live somewhere to know about it.

So what if it's in Africa? As I said before there are more Arab countries in Africa than Asia. Is Egypt not Arab according to you? haha

What are Arab roots? There's no such thing.

Peace :smile:

Arabs are from the Arabian peninsula. Egyptians are only culturally Arab in the sense that the country has gone through a process of Arabisation.
Reply 28
Original post by Boondock Saint
Arabs are from the Arabian peninsula. Egyptians are only culturally Arab in the sense that the country has gone through a process of Arabisation.

So Libyans, Algerians and Moroccans are not Arab? Neither are Lebanese, Syrians etc? :smile:
So Libyans, Algerians and Moroccans are not Arab? Neither are Lebanese, Syrians etc? :smile:

Most Libyans, Algerians and Moroccans are Berber in terms of their ethnicity, not Arab - that point is undeniable by anyones standards. Whether or not you want to class them as Arab because of a cultural reformation is an entirely different issue.
Somalis are Arab :smile:

Lmao no they aren't. They speak arabic yes since it is the language of the quran but no they are not classified as arab. The main countries where arabs are based would be North African countries (e.g. egypt where I'm from lol) and the middle east. Let me just name the countries for you.

Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudia Arabia, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen.
Original post by mahmoud786
Lmao no they aren't. They speak arabic yes since it is the language of the quran but no they are not classified as arab. The main countries where arabs are based would be North African countries (e.g. egypt where I'm from lol) and the middle east. Let me just name the countries for you.

Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudia Arabia, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen.

Most Somalis can't speak Arabic. Also, what are Cyprus, Iran and Turkey doing on that list?
Reply 32
Original post by mahmoud786

Who says they are not classes as Arab and why?

Turkey and Iran are not Arabs you dimwit.
I know there are so many different dialects but which is the main one? The one that all of the Arabic speakers can understand even just a little bit. I've always wanted to learn it :smile:

You are better off learning MSA and a dialect.
MSA helps you understand the basics of the language, the rules and how to read books, newspapers and the news. Everyone understands it and most arabs are impressed by it :biggrin:
And also learn a dialect with it as well to make communicating easier I would say Egyptian is the best bet since it is so wide spread.
Good luck, and Arabic is a beautiful language that you will fall in love with.
Original post by Al-farhan
You are better off learning MSA and a dialect.
MSA helps you understand the basics of the language, the rules and how to read books, newspapers and the news. Everyone understands it and most arabs are impressed by it :biggrin:
And also learn a dialect with it as well to make communicating easier I would say Egyptian is the best bet since it is so wide spread.
Good luck, and Arabic is a beautiful language that you will fall in love with.

You're absolutely right! Yeah, I've decided that I'm going to learn MSA and the Egyptian dialect. I can finally understand the gossip that goes on in halal meat shops lol. It really is a beautiful language. It seems really complicated but it's worth it! Thanks :biggrin:
You're absolutely right! Yeah, I've decided that I'm going to learn MSA and the Egyptian dialect. I can finally understand the gossip that goes on in halal meat shops lol. It really is a beautiful language. It seems really complicated but it's worth it! Thanks :biggrin:

Oh yeah it is a very complicated language but it makes sense and with some hard work you could be at a level where you can start to read without tashkeel (voul signs) in around six or even less.
If your purpose is to travel and speak to other Muslims then the most widely spoken dialect is Egyptian as far as I know. If you want to teach or read the Quran learn standard.
Bittawfeeq! (Good luck)
Learn Fus-ha arabic. It's the Arabic used in the Qur'aan and is used for the news, etc. so most Arabs understand it.
I know there are so many different dialects but which is the main one? The one that all of the Arabic speakers can understand even just a little bit. I've always wanted to learn it :smile:

Modern Standard Arabic is understood by all Arabic speakers but the Egyptian Arabic Dialect is probably the best-understood dialect due to the popularity of Egyptian media in the Arabic world and the fact that Egypt is the biggest Arabic speaking country. I want to learn Arabic too, I might apply for a joint French/Spanish and Arabic degree at uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest