The Student Room Group

Post Graduate Loan Help

Jumping the gun a bit here but I just wanted to be forewarned. We live in Northern Ireland. My son might be going to Man Met to study , from Year Two as he will have an HND. The HND took up two years of Undergraduate funding. The stupid college did not include enough modules in the course and it is therefore only equivalent to the first year of a degree not the first two years. Everyone is only entitled to four years of funding, am I right? I am a single parent living on less than a thousand pounds a month [a lot less]. Because my son will have used up all 4 years of funding by the time his Undergraduate degree ends does this mean he will never be able to study for a post graduate course and get funding for it? Please tell me this isn't the case.
(edited 7 years ago)
Everyone is entitled to their course length + 1 year.. So if hes used two years then he should have two years left providing his undergrad degree is 3 years long =)

In terms of post grad study as far as i'm aware thats only offered to students who have resided in England for three years (And didn't move here for the purpose of education). I know my friend was having a similar issue. She's welsh and couldn't get funding for her masters...
Reply 2
Original post by Jackieox
Everyone is entitled to their course length + 1 year.. So if hes used two years then he should have two years left providing his undergrad degree is 3 years long =)

In terms of post grad study as far as i'm aware thats only offered to students who have resided in England for three years (And didn't move here for the purpose of education). I know my friend was having a similar issue. She's welsh and couldn't get funding for her masters...

Thanks for your help Jackie. Don't suppose you know if he would be entitled to Postgraduate funding here in Northern Ireland ?
Original post by markova21
Jumping the gun a bit here but I just wanted to be forewarned. We live in Northern Ireland. My son might be going to Man Met to study , from Year Two as he will have an HND. The HND took up two years of Undergraduate funding. The stupid college did not include enough modules in the course and it is therefore only equivalent to the first year of a degree not the first two years. Everyone is only entitled to four years of funding, am I right? I am a single parent living on less than a thousand pounds a month [a lot less]. Because my son will have used up all 4 years of funding by the time his Undergraduate degree ends does this mean he will never be able to study for a post graduate course and get funding for it? Please tell me this isn't the case.

Hello I didnt see this. Think you are getting ahead of yourself and need to make sure he wants to do it and that he is focused on his course again.

It appears there is a postgraduate loan for N Ireland but its only £5,500 for fees compared to £10,000 for the English one.

Nirelandpostgrad.PNG

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/postgraduate-study/funding-postgraduate-study/postgraduate-loans-in-northern-ireland
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Hello I didnt see this. Think you are getting ahead of yourself and need to make sure he wants to do it and that he is focused on his course again.

It appears there is a postgraduate loan for N Ireland but its only £5,500 for fees compared to £10,000 for the English one.

Nirelandpostgrad.PNG

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/postgraduate-study/funding-postgraduate-study/postgraduate-loans-in-northern-ireland

Thank you 999. How is that even remotely fair I wonder?

I was surprised as N Ireland is normally as close to England as Wales. I suspect it is due to devolution and it comes within the remit of N Ireland, they get the money and decide how they want to distribute it. I still wouldnt worry though as you have to get him on this course and he has to make a success of it. From my impression he isnt sure he even wants to be on the one he attends.

The way round it would be for him to get a job in England post graduation then do postgraduate 3 years later. Most post graduates have extra experience.

To add to 999 tiggers excellent point about devolution, its similar to how Scotland can pay tuition fees for Scots and rest of EU and charge the Welsh, English and NIrish.
Reply 7

If you compare the price of Masters courses, NI is generally much cheaper then England. I suspect the amount of the Postgrad Loan in both areas, is geared towards covering the majority of the tuition fee but not much more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending