The Student Room Group

My friend has dropped out of university THREE TIMES. Advice please.

Right, I'm asking for some advice on my friend's situation (she's 22) and to see if there's any hope for her. (This isn't my situation, I'm just trying to help her)

She's dropped out of uni 3 times. Yes, 3 times.

The first time was on a BA Primary Education course. She completed 1 year, and then suddenly decided she didn't want to be a teacher anymore, so she dropped out. A year later, she decided to try the *same course* again. Two months later, she realised that she'd made a mistake coming back and so decided to drop out yet again for the second time.

Finally, a few months later, she got into a nursing course as that was something she'd been interested in for a while. All seemed to be going well, and then... 6 months later, she dropped out of uni for the THIRD TIME.

So that leaves her today... utterly degreeless after all that time. Since September 2016, she's been mostly unemployed or doing temp work. She would like to return to university but she can't apply right now due to financial reasons (because Student Finance won't give her the funding I assume). Is there anything she can do to fix this mess?
First of alll.. why did she go back to the same course after dropping out of it once?
Student Finance give you length of course +1 year...So just by doing the teaching course she's used two years of funding. I'm not sure if nursing comes out of SFE or a separate NHS pot of money. Either way she's got 1 or 2 years (depending if student finance funded the nursing degree or she got a maintenance loan) left. Student finance work backwards as well so they'd fund the third year for her.

I think her best (and possibly only options here) are look at the Open University..that's usually cheaper..or look at part time
Original post by Jackieox
First of alll.. why did she go back to the same course after dropping out of it once?

I've asked her this and she just kind of shrugged her shoulders and said, "I just thought it would be different this time"...

OU might be a good idea... Would Student Finance be able to fund her whole course though if she went? I don't think she'd be able to self-fund much of it.
Original post by Barack Obama
I've asked her this and she just kind of shrugged her shoulders and said, "I just thought it would be different this time"...

OU might be a good idea... Would Student Finance be able to fund her whole course though if she went? I don't think she'd be able to self-fund much of it.

I don't think so. She's already borrowed money and blown it 3 times. It's not a good idea for her to keep borrowing money to study only to drop out.

I don't think she clearly thought out what she wanted to do whether in uni or out of it. Her attitude as you stated in your comment says it all.

I don't there's anything you can do for her. It's what she can do for herself... to stop messing around and really think about what she wants to do. Then apply herself to work for it.
Right, I'm asking for some advice on my friend's situation (she's 22) and to see if there's any hope for her. (This isn't my situation, I'm just trying to help her)

The first time was on a BA Primary Education course. She completed 1 year, and then suddenly decided she didn't want to be a teacher anymore, so she dropped out. A year later, she decided to try the *same course* again. Two months later, she realised that she'd made a mistake coming back and so decided to drop out yet again for the second time.

Finally, a few months later, she got into a nursing course as that was something she'd been interested in for a while. All seemed to be going well, and then... 6 months later, she dropped out of uni for the THIRD TIME.

So that leaves her today... utterly degreeless after all that time. Since September 2016, she's been mostly unemployed or doing temp work. She would like to return to university but she can't apply right now due to financial reasons (because Student Finance won't give her the funding I assume). Is there anything she can do to fix this mess?

She doesnt sound like she knows what to do, so her efforts should go in that direction first. She should have taken advice earlier and she could have avoided this mess. She has a problem of poor decision making and not sticking with things which she needs to face up to.

There is very limited sf left, unless she can get some discounted for compelling personal reasons. You dont say why she dropped out of nursing. You are looking for serious medical conditions or bereavement etc.

If Uni is out, then her options are get a job, possibly go to college if she is still eligible for advanced learner loans or do an apprenticeship. She should use careers and find out what she wishes to do. Annoying because it could easily have been avoided if she had taken it seriously.
get a part time work and try bunch of different things to find out what she REALLY LIKE.

How did she get on another teaching course after dropping out of one?

She'll either need to save up or do an OU course alongside working. Of course, this is AFTER she's worked out what she wants to do.
Original post by Muttley79
How did she get on another teaching course after dropping out of one?

No idea. For some reason they let her in again twice (it's been the same university she's dropped out of every time)...

I honestly don't know what she can do right now except get a low paying job. I doubt she'll ever be able to go to university again even if she wanted to.
(edited 7 years ago)
It really doesn't sound like it's for her. Once is fine - we all make mistakes. Twice - bit worrying, but maybe understandable. But three times..

She needs to consider her other, non-university options, I think. There's plenty of them - uni isn't the be all and end all.
She needs to find a career direction to go in which doesn't involve university now and start working and demonstrating that she can do something without giving up.
I've dropped out of a brick uni once and OU once. Both for different reasons. Kinda decided after that maybe uni wasn't for me.

Your friend has dropped out 3 times. To me, it doesn't sound like uni is for her. She does need to think about what she really wants to do.
And here we have an example of what happens when you tell kids they won't amount to anything if they don't go to university. Your mate would probably have more to her name if she hadn't gone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
And here we have an example of what happens when you tell kids they won't amount to anything if they don't go to university. Your mate would probably have more to her name if she hadn't gone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you know? They just sound like an indecisive person who fails to do any research or wont stick things out. We also dont have the detail of why they really left.
Original post by 999tigger
How do you know? They just sound like an indecisive person who fails to do any research or wont stick things out. We also dont have the detail of why they really left.

Yeah we don't know anything but if she was told as a kid to go to university or else, it's not surprise she's indecisive. No research, no will to stick things out. Sonds about right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
Yeah we don't know anything but if she was told as a kid to go to university or else, it's not surprise she's indecisive. No research, no will to stick things out. Sonds about right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You just made a claim she was, but there is no evidence to say that was the case.
Honestly, your friend needs to work in a few different sectors ‘cause she clearly doesn’t know what she wants. It can be likely that she drops out a fourth time.

If anything, I recommend her to do either an apprenticeship or degree internship which is fully paid for by the company she works with.

Hey! I know this thread is from 4 years ago but I randomly stumbled upon it, I’m curious about how things turned out for your friend! Did things work out?
Original post by Abcdefghijk123
Hey! I know this thread is from 4 years ago but I randomly stumbled upon it, I’m curious about how things turned out for your friend! Did things work out?

OP has not posted since 2017
Original post by Abcdefghijk123

She's on her tenth uni degree. Jokes lol idk.

Uni these days has turned into an option for some people to do something because they have nothing else to do, rather than any interest in the field or career. A lot of people start courses and realise they have no actual interest in it, and to be fair uni degrees themselves are often uninspiring and dragged out, there's no reason most of them should be three years in the first place. Complete absurd that all subjects are afforded the same number of time.
Original post by tashkent46
She's on her tenth uni degree. Jokes lol idk.

Uni these days has turned into an option for some people to do something because they have nothing else to do, rather than any interest in the field or career. A lot of people start courses and realise they have no actual interest in it, and to be fair uni degrees themselves are often uninspiring and dragged out, there's no reason most of them should be three years in the first place. Complete absurd that all subjects are afforded the same number of time.

Yeah I agree with this, it’s bad how sixth forms pressure 16/17 year olds to just “do a degree, any degree”.

Latest