The Student Room Group

Can the far-right be debated in the U.K.?

The rise of the far-right across the Western World is a phenomenon we can't deny and it's a phenomenon we want to stop. (If we are to utilise the anti-fascist thinking that has been embedded in us).

I read in the Independent about a UK far-right political group called London Forum.

It's mission statements include:

Stead Steadman, a member of London Forum, said, "The London Forum is a forum not a credally defined group. I would however say that an opposition to globalism, cultural and non-cultural Marxism, and a support for white ethnicity and its civilization, liberty of expression, and religious tradition, dominate its centre."

"We think it is time the tyranny of Orwellian political correctness were deposed by classically rooted yet progressive European values."

And

"We abhor the criminalisation of opinions and defend the right of anyone to question the conventional narrative concerning any events that took place in any period of history; and we regard the nature of Zionism, the rôle of Israel in international affairs and the influence of the Jewish Diaspora upon culture and politics as being legitimate subjects for discussion. "

Protesters and newspapers are very negative about these discussion areas.

My question is should these topics be legitimate areas of discussion? Should we be positive or negative that someone is discussing these areas? Or should they be taboo areas? Or should they be legally banned areas of discussion?

The reason I bring this up is that many people save said that the far right is ignorance and the answer to help stop them is to debate them, yet I noticed there is a lot of negativity to do with far-right and a debate group. How does society resolve the idea of wanting to debate the far-right but not liking or accepting the validity their debate areas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Problem is that the far right and the alt right use this bs "alternative facts" and come out with fallacious statements whilst still believing that they've been enlightened and been red-pilled by morons like milo yiannopolous and Paul joseph watson.

Until they acknowledge that they're manipulative and skew facts we cant ever have a sensible discussion because theyre so out of touch with reality.
Original post by STEMisSuperior.
Problem is that the far right and the alt right use this bs "alternative facts" and come out with fallacious statements whilst still believing that they've been enlightened and been red-pilled by morons like milo yiannopolous and Paul joseph watson.

Until they acknowledge that they're manipulative and skew facts we cant ever have a sensible discussion because theyre so out of touch with reality.

That goes both ways though; you get tht sort of person on both sides of the argument. You also have to deal the with dipshits who will scream racist/sexist/homophobe/xenophobe/islamophobe/whateverist/whateverphobe at everything, which does nothing to help foster a proper discussion on legitimate issues (they almost all occupy the left side of the political spectrum I find)
I think it's the far left that are impossible to debate with, not the far right
Original post by an_atheist
That goes both ways though; you get tht sort of person on both sides of the argument. You also have to deal the with dipshits who will scream racist/sexist/homophobe/xenophobe/islamophobe/whateverist/whateverphobe at everything, which does nothing to help foster a proper discussion on legitimate issues (they almost all occupy the left side of the political spectrum I find)

This is a non-issue.
This is a non-issue.

Care to explain how points of view being silenced because someone doesnt agree is a non-issue?
Care to explain how points of view being silenced because someone doesnt agree is a non-issue?

You're not a ****ing genius to realise that dumb SJWs who scream racist and sexist aren't helpful. Stop throwing this dumb rhetoric around.

You're not being silenced at all, do you need a safe space or something? SJWs hardly represent the majority and this trend mostly exists in USA colleges. And debates on TSR doesnt mean anything, im talking about proper tv debates with professionals.

Your problem is that youre intimidated by the fact that there are lots of left wingers in unis and stuff. That's your problem, not ours.

Do you know why idiots like paul joseph watson doesnt debate on tv? Because moronic far right douchebags will get completely destroyed in a proper debate.

That's why you guys keep crying about being called racist, it's because you're trying to hide the fact that you cant stand a proper debate.
far-right/alt-right has lots of connections to racists and neo-nazis. e.g. dailystormer
Na. Gotta bash the fash - their core support can't be reasoned with. But those who sympathise with their views, i.e. anti-multiculturalism, anti-globalisation etc. can be reached if (small-L) liberals try hard enough.
You're not a ****ing genius to realise that dumb SJWs who scream racist and sexist aren't helpful. Stop throwing this dumb rhetoric around.

You're not being silenced at all, do you need a safe space or something? SJWs hardly represent the majority and this trend mostly exists in USA colleges. And debates on TSR doesnt mean anything, im talking about proper tv debates with professionals.

Your problem is that youre intimidated by the fact that there are lots of left wingers in unis and stuff. That's your problem, not ours.

Do you know why idiots like paul joseph watson doesnt debate on tv? Because moronic far right douchebags will get completely destroyed in a proper debate.

That's why you guys keep crying about being called racist, it's because you're trying to hide the fact that you cant stand a proper debate.

I am not in need of a safe space, the SJW crap is seeping over here from the US however.

Can you cite examples? The left dont do much better in debates anyway, since their ideas wont work in the real world.
No, people object to being called racist if they aren't because of the instant stigma and hate you get once someone attaches that label to you. Its not good debating to just label people because you disagree with them, which is what ends up happening.

My question is should these topics be legitimate areas of discussion?

All areas of everything should be legitimate areas of discussion.

Or should they be legally banned areas of discussion?

Nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono. That's censorship at its finest.

Or should they be taboo areas?

No.

Should we be positive or negative that someone is discussing these areas?

Positive to their right to state their opinion. The attitude to the opinion, on the other hand, should rely on the content of the opinion.
I am not in need of a safe space, the SJW crap is seeping over here from the US however.

Can you cite examples? The left dont do much better in debates anyway, since their ideas wont work in the real world.
No, people object to being called racist if they aren't because of the instant stigma and hate you get once someone attaches that label to you. Its not good debating to just label people because you disagree with them, which is what ends up happening.

Ofc you are, since you feel that you're getting silenced when it's actually because you're intimidated?

what do you mean their ideas wont work in the real world? Is that why labour was elected when the country was in an economic boom?

It really doesnt happen anywhere near as much as you claim it is. And if you make a racist or bigoted comment as the far right do so much then you will get called out. If you make a nazi salute or preach white supremacist ideas then you are a racist. Sorry, you can crawl back to your safe space if you like

Can you provide concrete examples of things that Milo Y or Paul Joseph Watson said that are clearly untrue?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Free_speech
The rise of the far-right across the Western World is a phenomenon we can't deny and it's a phenomenon we want to stop. (If we are to utilise the anti-fascist thinking that has been embedded in us).

I read in the Independent about a UK far-right political group called London Forum.

It's mission statements include:

Stead Steadman, a member of London Forum, said, "The London Forum is a forum not a credally defined group. I would however say that an opposition to globalism, cultural and non-cultural Marxism, and a support for white ethnicity and its civilization, liberty of expression, and religious tradition, dominate its centre."

"We think it is time the tyranny of Orwellian political correctness were deposed by classically rooted yet progressive European values."

And

"We abhor the criminalisation of opinions and defend the right of anyone to question the conventional narrative concerning any events that took place in any period of history; and we regard the nature of Zionism, the rôle of Israel in international affairs and the influence of the Jewish Diaspora upon culture and politics as being legitimate subjects for discussion. "

Protesters and newspapers are very negative about these discussion areas.

My question is should these topics be legitimate areas of discussion? Should we be positive or negative that someone is discussing these areas? Or should they be taboo areas? Or should they be legally banned areas of discussion?

The reason I bring this up is that many people save said that the far right is ignorance and the answer to help stop them is to debate them, yet I noticed there is a lot of negativity to do with far-right and a debate group. How does society resolve the idea of wanting to debate the far-right but not liking or accepting the validity their debate areas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing should be taboo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending