The Student Room Group

What are the odds of getting an A in A level Maths? (EDEXCEL)

I have just done 4 past papers in a row all June 13 -( I am resitting C1 and C2 this summer)
And I got:
C1 : 64/75 82UMS
C2: 62/75 80UMS
C3: 59/75 88 UMS (hard paper A = 50/75)
M1: 52/75 76 UMS

So what are the odds?
Im finding Core 4 alright also we havent completed it yet.
I really need an A!

S1 i am not resitting
74 ums June16 paper
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Looks good so far, the more papers you do then your scores should go up. Aim for an A* and then even if you don't get this then you should have a comfortable A.
Reply 2
Solid scores across the board but save some papers for closer to the exams , and you should do all the Hard questions in the book , if you can hack those then the exam questions are piss , work through the text book for Core 3 and Core 4 since you can get harder questions on them but for C1 and C2 , just do the solid questions in the text book , to make sure you fully understand it , make a few notes if you need to aswell , so you dont forget the content , plus you should continue doing what you just did! , look at all the papers your sitting and do all of them for 1 year ! and mark them strictly and add up the ums and see where your at , also look at where your dropping marks , even if c1 and c2 if your dropping marks on some **** like circles go revise it , plus make sure you are confident , All the cocky / confident people are the ones who perform better in exams , if you dont beleive you can get an A then who will?
hope this helps BoB
The odds are decent tbf , if your getting 80s now you can aim for an A* if you smash core 3 and 4 so focus on them alot. but its alot of hard work.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by cero70
Solid scores across the board but save some papers for closer to the exams , and you should do all the Hard questions in the book , if you can hack those then the exam questions are piss , work through the text book for Core 3 and Core 4 since you can get harder questions on them but for C1 and C2 , just do the solid questions in the text book , to make sure you fully understand it , make a few notes if you need to aswell , so you dont forget the content , plus you should continue doing what you just did! , look at all the papers your sitting and do all of them for 1 year ! and mark them strictly and add up the ums and see where your at , also look at where your dropping marks , even if c1 and c2 if your dropping marks on some **** like circles go revise it , plus make sure you are confident , All the cocky / confident people are the ones who perform better in exams , if you dont beleive you can get an A then who will?
hope this helps BoB
The odds are decent tbf , if your getting 80s now you can aim for an A* if you smash core 3 and 4 so focus on them alot. but its alot of hard work.

Thank you I will start going through the hard questions in the C1 and C2 textbook as soon as i find an online PDF or something as I had to return them at the end of Yr12 :frown: .
Gaining confidence would be another target!
That is some very good and useful advice thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by HopelessMedic
Looks good so far, the more papers you do then your scores should go up. Aim for an A* and then even if you don't get this then you should have a comfortable A.

That would be a nice comfort zone to be in "failing" the exams where you wanted an A* and getting an A instead. Ill look towards an A* then lol ..

A* here we come? -- (not so confident yet)

I guess I need to do more and more papers.
thanks
Original post by bobwibbles
I have just done 4 past papers in a row all June 13 -( I am resitting C1 and C2 this summer)
And I got:
C1 : 64/75 82UMS
C2: 62/75 80UMS
C3: 59/75 88 UMS (hard paper A = 50/75)
M1: 52/75 76 UMS

So what are the odds?
Im finding Core 4 alright also we havent completed it yet.
I really need an A!

Other applied module?

C4 is the hardest so I would say it's touch and go ... C1 and C2 need to be over 90 UMS,
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
Other applied module?

C4 is the hardest so I would say it's touch and go ... C1 and C2 need to be over 90 UMS,

Oh I Also sat S1 in Yr12 and got 74 UMS so I am not resitting that
Reply 7
Other applied module?

I used to be getting around 90 UMS in C1 and C2 in December as I had resit mocks and I got 71/75 in C1 and 65/75 in C2 , c1 was a june 15 paper and c2 was jun 14 I think.
I havent done any in a while so my scores are slightly lower than usual- which frustrates me ..

But yeh I will be wanting 90 UMS in C1 and C2 which are now the "easiest" modules I am sitting.
Oh I Also sat S1 in Yr12 and got 74 UMS so I am not resitting that

So the average is 80 over those module scores - C4 will likely be lower.

I've know students get A for every module but a low score for C4 ... keep practising those papers. Ask your teacher for the 'gold' papers produced by Edexcel maths team.
Reply 9
So the average is 80 over those module scores - C4 will likely be lower.

I've know students get A for every module but a low score for C4 ... keep practising those papers. Ask your teacher for the 'gold' papers produced by Edexcel maths team.

Hmm... I better be fully prepared for C4 then.
I have been advised to do the Gold C3 papers by my teacher so hopefully half term time I am completing all the Gold edexcel papers for all modules and getting 90+ UMS in C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 --- Then there is less stress I guess lol...
That would be a nice comfort zone to be in "failing" the exams where you wanted an A* and getting an A instead. Ill look towards an A* then lol ..

A* here we come? -- (not so confident yet)

I guess I need to do more and more papers.
thanks

Also i forgot to add that you should save the normal edexcel papers for closer to the exams, and for practice use Soloman, IYGB papers, Gold/Silver/Bronze papers. They are usually harder than the paper you'll get in the exam.
Also i forgot to add that you should save the normal edexcel papers for closer to the exams, and for practice use Soloman, IYGB papers, Gold/Silver/Bronze papers. They are usually harder than the paper you'll get in the exam.

Oh really? is that a better way to do it instead of edexcel papers then solomons then the rest? as yeh solomons and those papers are harder so isnt that the preferred method ? that is what I did last year but then I didnt do too well... So your saying I should start practising with harder papers first?
I may try that then!
Oh really? is that a better way to do it instead of edexcel papers then solomons then the rest? as yeh solomons and those papers are harder so isnt that the preferred method ? that is what I did last year but then I didnt do too well... So your saying I should start practising with harder papers first?
I may try that then!

I dunno if it's better, but its what i did. Once i'd finished making notes/textbook work, i just did IYGB/Soloman papers until close to the exams and then i did all the edexcel ones.
I dunno if it's better, but its what i did. Once i'd finished making notes/textbook work, i just did IYGB/Soloman papers until close to the exams and then i did all the edexcel ones.

Sounds good what did you get?
That way I have done all the harder papers so yeh good idea!
I may try that then!

I disagree and I teach in a high achieving school.

The bronze papers are too easy for you now - so use the very old past papers and there are plenty of them!

If you do hard papers you will lose confidence - you need to build up the difficulty.

Solomon are OK but tend to be the sort of thing to work on in class rather than timed practice.
Sounds good what did you get?
That way I have done all the harder papers so yeh good idea!

I'm doing A2 now but last year i got 77,92 and 96 in C1,2 and M1 respectively. Going to retake C1 this year probably tho
I'm doing A2 now but last year i got 77,92 and 96 in C1,2 and M1 respectively. Going to retake C1 this year probably tho

What!!! how did you do that in C2 and M1? and man C1 June 16 was a killer...
I find M1 impossible compared to the rest too much reading.... Very tedious and boring...
What!!! how did you do that in C2 and M1? and man C1 June 16 was a killer...
I find M1 impossible compared to the rest too much reading.... Very tedious and boring...

Just do lots of papers, Maths ( at A-level anyway) is just about recognising which method to use and then applying it. Once you've done 20-30 papers you can easily identify what the question wants cause you've done loads of them previously. Getting high UMS is just about not making mistakes which is the hard part imo.

Yeh i see what you mean about M1, i still found it the most interesting module and doing Physics helped a lot.
Hmm... I better be fully prepared for C4 then.
I have been advised to do the Gold C3 papers by my teacher so hopefully half term time I am completing all the Gold edexcel papers for all modules and getting 90+ UMS in C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 --- Then there is less stress I guess lol...

I am also retaking.

You seem to be on the right track!

I have circles, binomial expansion and trigonometry left to go over in C2... + S1 .

I constantly hit 70/75 in C1 and Will probably finish C2 and S1 soon.

I am not sure weather to sit the c3 and c4 exams as I haven't been to the classes. If I decide to sit them then I have to do the classes on my own?

Do you recommend anything I can use to learn c3 quickly after I'm done with C2 and S1.
Original post by periperii
I am also retaking.

You seem to be on the right track!

I have circles, binomial expansion and trigonometry left to go over in C2... + S1 .

I constantly hit 70/75 in C1 and Will probably finish C2 and S1 soon.

I am not sure weather to sit the c3 and c4 exams as I haven't been to the classes. If I decide to sit them then I have to do the classes on my own?

Do you recommend anything I can use to learn c3 quickly after I'm done with C2 and S1.

The best resource will always be the C3 Heinemann textbook the pdfs to each chapters are available here:
https://www.biochemtuition.com/edexcel-c3-book-and-solution-bank/
To learn it quickly go through each chapter one by one at the fastest rate that you can! thats all I can say!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest