The Student Room Group

How is everyone finding the new 9-1 Maths GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by notnek
The new spec is similar in difficulty to the old spec but the old exam was much easier. The 9-1 exam will have 50% grade 7-9 questions (A/A* in the old spec), which is a big change.

But the grade boundaries will be set so that the percentage of students who got e.g. an A in the old exam will be the same as the percentage who get a 7 in the new exam. So students sitting the new spec won't be at any disadvantage in theory.

Be prepared for some crazy grade boundaries!

I'm hoping everyone is finding it difficult so nationally we all do worse off and the grade boundaries will be lower :crossedf:
Reply 21
Original post by B_9710
In what ways do you feel the difficulty has increased?

Mainly the introduction of basic A-Level syllabus such as iteration, which was in Paper 3 and no one had prepared for it
Reply 22
Original post by IQlizard
Mainly the introduction of basic A-Level syllabus such as iteration, which was in Paper 3 and no one had prepared for it

Iteration isn't very difficult at all though wouldn't you agree?
Reply 23
I'm hoping everyone is finding it difficult so nationally we all do worse off and the grade boundaries will be lower :crossedf:

They are :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by B_9710
Iteration isn't very difficult at all though wouldn't you agree?

It isn't particularly difficult but the general syllabus expansion makes it harder to know everything needed

wow
It isn't particularly difficult but the general syllabus expansion makes it harder to know everything needed

thats simply not true
there is going to be a big kerfuffle when the results come out in August.

at higher level: the private schools will scoop the grade 9s

the foundation results will be an apocalypse: only about 20% will score the equivalent of grade C.

thanks Mr Gove
Reply 28
Original post by the bear
there is going to be a big kerfuffle when the results come out in August.

at higher level: the private schools will scoop the grade 9s

the foundation results will be an apocalypse: only about 20% will score the equivalent of grade C.

thanks Mr Gove

The percentage who get C in the old exam will be around the same as the percentage who get a 4 (~25%) in the new exam. And the percentage who get A* will be the same as the percentage who get 8/9. So you can think of a grade 9 as equivalent to an A**.

So this all sounds fine to me. The only problem will be when 5 becomes a "pass" in the same way that C used to be.
Original post by notnek
The percentage who get C in the old exam will be around the same as the percentage who get a 4 (~25%) in the new exam. And the percentage who get A* will be the same as the percentage who get 8/9. So you can think of a grade 9 as equivalent to an A**.

So this all sounds fine to me. The only problem will be when 5 becomes a "pass" in the same way that C used to be.

it will end in tears. asking foundationers to do trig and remember sin cos and tan for various angles is ridiculous.
Reply 30
Original post by the bear
it will end in tears. asking foundationers to do trig and remember sin cos and tan for various angles is ridiculous.

This I agree with. I see no reason why that was added to the foundation spec.

But again this won't be a big problem in terms of grades since the percentages will remain similar from the previous exam to the new exam. Although the grade boundaries are going to be hilarious!
I find it really hard. I don't know why really. But I'm working on it. I'm going for a 9, I got a 8 in the PiXL curve but that was apparently over generous. There was also the recent mocks, I got a 5+.

Iteration can look a bit scary at first, but after some time you'll get used to how to do it :smile:
Original post by notnek
This I agree with. I see no reason why that was added to the foundation spec.

But again this won't be a big problem in terms of grades since the percentages will remain similar from the previous exam to the new exam. Although the grade boundaries are going to be hilarious!

there is no reason why the intermediate level cannot be re-instated; pretending that foundation students are able to master difficult topics is just unkind.
pretty good
I agree that they are harder, I got a 3/4 on my mocks which is bad, my teacher said a 9 is around 90% lol
I'm aiming for at least a 7, I did another mock and I got a 6 the thing I find hard is the way they word the questions now
Original post by CoffeeGeek
Got a grade 8 in my mocks - it's not easy, the old spec is much easier than this.

Thats soo good how did u prepare?
@tasha_tah Hows it going? :tongue:
Original post by Lychee627
@tasha_tah Hows it going? :tongue:

hahah
yeah i dont like it coz its gone harder:sad: but someone is gonna help me achieve the level 7 they believe i can go for :u:
Original post by tasha_tah
hahah
yeah i dont like it coz its gone harder:sad: but someone is gonna help me achieve the level 7 they believe i can go for :u:

Haha obviously , but someone never asks me for help nowadays :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest