The Student Room Group

Law grad salaries from different universities doesn't make sense?? GTFIH

I've looked through lots of statistics and it doesn't make sense to me. Why does Nottingham Trent which isn't even in the top 50, have the same grad salary as Leeds which is in the top 15?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Original post by Juninhoo
I've looked through lots of statistics and it doesn't make sense to me. Why does Nottingham Trent which isn't even in the top 50, have the same grad salary as Leeds which is in the top 15?

After you go from 1-3rd places the university salaries for law drop dramatically as there is an oversupply.
Reply 3
Original post by ckfeister
After you go from 1-3rd places the university salaries for law drop dramatically as there is an oversupply.

A law degree from a top 20 uni must open some career doors though, shouldn't it?
A law degree from a top 20 uni must open some career doors though, shouldn't it?

There is, however there is an oversupply.
Reply 5
There is, however there is an oversupply.

Guess you could always move to a country that practices similar type of law
Guess you could always move to a country that practices similar type of law

Don't forget law has its own language, each country is going to be different and won't grantee a job, maybe try something else?

Maybe because a higher proportion of their graduates find employment. Uni matters less once you get away from the top. You have to look behind the figures. Uni is less important once outside the top 10.
Nottingham Trent apparently has good prospects for their students.

Connections seem to have more relevance than prestige
Reply 9
Don't forget law has its own language, each country is going to be different and won't grantee a job, maybe try something else?

I've already sent off my UCAS, too late for that now :s-smilie:
Original post by 999tigger
Maybe because a higher proportion of their graduates find employment. Uni matters less once you get away from the top. You have to look behind the figures. Uni is less important once outside the top 10.

I've already sent off my UCAS, too late for that now :s-smilie:

Whatever you do ignore this, top 10 in UK isn't top 100 in UK universities worldwide, such as Queen Mary, University of London, where I tend to go to.
Whatever you do ignore this, top 10 in UK isn't top 100 in UK universities worldwide, such as Queen Mary, University of London, where I tend to go to.

What exactly is he ignoring? What difference does it make if top 10 in the UK is not in the top 100 wordlwide? Feel free to attempt to correct me.
What exactly is he ignoring? What difference does it make if top 10 in the UK is not in the top 100 wordlwide? Feel free to attempt to correct me.

Top 10 in UK and not top 100 worldwide when 10 universities are in top 100 is a bit silly, rankings are annoying to companies, imagine keeping up with every single ranking and university ranking boom only to go down fast, as long as they go to a russels group university (there are jobs who say perfer russels group and its perferred as they are thought to be leading universities in UK) yet some of them aren't in top 10 in UK and yet they rank high in worldwide ranking??
(edited 7 years ago)
Top 10 in UK and not top 100 worldwide when 10 universities are in top 100 is a bit silly, rankings are annoying to companies, imagine keeping up with every single ranking and university ranking boom only to go down fast, as long as they go to a russels group university (there are jobs who say perfer russels group and its perferred as they are thought to be leading universities in UK) yet some of them aren't in top 10 in UK and yet they rank high in worldwide ranking??

You still arent making much sense. You dont seem to be able to explain what you are saying never mind what I said or you think I said. Have another go.

If anyone else wants to tell me what ckfeister means and what it is that I am supposed to have said that was incorrect, then feel free to tell me.
(edited 7 years ago)

Factor in regional variations in wages as well
Original post by tehforum
Factor in regional variations in wages as well

True. There is a tendency for a lot of Uni law graduates to stay local. Not everyone wants to go to London.
You still arent making much sense. You dont seem to be able to explain what you are saying never mind what I said or you think I said. Have another go.

If anyone else wants to tell me what ckfeister means and what it is that I am supposed to have said that was incorrect, then feel free to tell me.

> Top 10 UK univerisites in UK rankings are not all in top 100.
> Top 100 worldwide universities ranking on UK universities are different.

> Employers don't care about ranking much, if they see Russels group university they think leading university, some universities go from 10th to 45th in a few years, so they don't think about ranking that much.

Simple enough for a baby yet?
> Top 10 UK univerisites in UK rankings are not all in top 100.
> Top 100 worldwide universities ranking on UK universities are different.

> Employers don't care about ranking much, if they see Russels group university they think leading university, some universities go from 10th to 45th in a few years, so they don't think about ranking that much.

Simple enough for a baby yet?

It was your inability to express yourself that was at fault , not my ability to comprehend. Think you will find the graduates from certain universities tend to be consistently successful at getting top jobs. Employers look at a whole range of factors, but I would rather have a degree from certain unis, even with RG than others. It matters less these days, but I disagree that its entirely irrelevant. Why should law be different from any other subject?

Which law school has gone from 10th to 45th in a few years?
Reply 18
Original post by JohnGreek
OP, which statistics were you looking at specifically?

an average of Grad salaries after 6 months and after 40 months
Reply 19
Original post by JohnGreek
Could you link us to the study you were looking at?

https://www.whatuni.com/degrees/jsp/search/kisdataStatic.jsp Whatuni has all the grad salary stats that I bought up for all the different unis and unistats has something similar

e.g. http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10004797FT-LAW_055_1/ReturnTo/Search

Quick Reply

Latest