The Student Room Group

16 and trying to write applications for part-time work

I haven't finished my GCSE's and I'm being pressured to write a CV. Unfortunately, I'm one of the youngest in my year group and so I won't get a National Insurance number until the beginning of the summer, when most people will have already applied and have a part-time job. I'm also struggling to write a CV, what should I do?
Original post by MercilessUnicorn
I haven't finished my GCSE's and I'm being pressured to write a CV. Unfortunately, I'm one of the youngest in my year group and so I won't get a National Insurance number until the beginning of the summer, when most people will have already applied and have a part-time job. I'm also struggling to write a CV, what should I do?

Just get a job when you start college/ sixth form! Focus on your GCSE's!:biggrin: I was like you, I turned 16 in August, a week before GCSE results day so I volunteered in the summer at Cancer Research instead! So do some volunteering and get a part time job later on!x:smile:
Original post by sunshine774
Just get a job when you start college/ sixth form! Focus on your GCSE's!:biggrin: I was like you, I turned 16 in August, a week before GCSE results day so I volunteered in the summer at Cancer Research instead! So do some volunteering and get a part time job later on!x:smile:

I've already done lots of volunteering and some work experience, but I have to get a summer job and I don't know how to start.
I've already done lots of volunteering and some work experience, but I have to get a summer job and I don't know how to start.

Why do you HAVE to?:smile:
Why do you HAVE to?:smile:

Mostly my parents are making me do it, but I also want to get started on a job before I go to sixth form, so that I can adjust my work hours to my schedule better.
Mostly my parents are making me do it, but I also want to get started on a job before I go to sixth form, so that I can adjust my work hours to my schedule better.

You can always work at the weekend (it's what I do) so it doesn't interfere with your school hours!:smile: A level is so much harder than GCSE so you HAVE to put the work in and remember that a levels come before a job!:smile: In that case, give your CV to employers prior to when you turn 16? They can always inteview you and you can apply before so you can start working as soon as you turn 16?:smile:
You can always work at the weekend (it's what I do) so it doesn't interfere with your school hours!:smile: A level is so much harder than GCSE so you HAVE to put the work in and remember that a levels come before a job!:smile: In that case, give your CV to employers prior to when you turn 16? They can always inteview you and you can apply before so you can start working as soon as you turn 16?:smile:

TBH I'm really struggling with writing a CV more than anything else :smile:
TBH I'm really struggling with writing a CV more than anything else :smile:

Just put your predicted grades on it, hobbies- stuff like that. Do you play any sports?:smile: You don't need a really fancy CV for a part time job!:tongue:
Just bear in mind that you can't work a part time job until you are 16. When is your birthday, is it towards the end of the summer holidays? If so I would recommend waiting until you've settled into a levels to get a job, so then you aren't starting two very difficult things at once. And in regards to everyone else in your year getting part time jobs that's very unlikely. I'm in year 12 now and I would say maybe about half of my year have jobs. There will always be jobs that you can get, at supermarkets or at restaurants. For your CV you can find templates online and just fill in your details. For example https://www.reed.co.uk/career-advice/free-cv-template/ . Just remember you'll have to alter it slightly, as you probably won't have any previous employment and you'll have to put your predicted gcse grades and nothing else for your education. For part time work I doubt they check your CV all that carefully so as long as the basics are on there you should be okay
There's not much to put onto a CV at the grand old age of 16 and don't be downhearted if you struggle to fill all the boxes on a template CV because you've got so much time to do so much more! When it comes to getting a part time job my past employers saw the CV as a formality, they didn't so much care for what was written on it but for the fact that I went in and handed it in personally, I engaged in conversation and I expressed a genuine interest in the place, then two weeks later I just dropped in again (or phoned up when I couldn't go in) to ask if they had any more information about the offer they could give me as I just wanted to follow up and see how things are coming along. I've had three part time jobs now from doing this and not one of them required me to have an interview like some of my friends have had. Then during my time working for these companies I've seen younger students email in CV's, or maybe get their parents to drop them off for them but none of those people ended up working alongside me because they didn't show to the employer that they have confidence or are pro active!

I hope this might have been useful for you but it does depend what kind of jobs are going in your area.
Thank you :smile:. I only got concerned because most of my friends already have jons and im the youngest :frown:
Thank you :smile:. I only got concerned because most of my friends already have jons and im the youngest :frown:

Really don't worry about it. I'm 17 in a few days and none of my friends have a job, I was the only one until I quit my job because I needed more time for my school work

Quick Reply

Latest